Which camera for a 35mm Summarit-S f/2.5 ASPH

patashnik

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I jumped on the chance to buy a new 35mm Summarit-S f/2.5 ASPH from a dealer at an extremely nice price ($XXX, not $X,XXX). 

Anyway, I'm looking at my camera options, and will have to keep this at a somewhat sombre level. So no S3 in the horizon for me. At the moment I'm torn between getting a Leica SL/SL2 and the L-S adapter, or getting an older S body (S2, 006). A part of me are not too keen diving into these older cameras (having owned a Leica DMR). But part of the allure of the S is the format, I must admit.

So what would your advice be? Am I better off staying with the M's and leaving S to the grown-ups? 😉

Patashnik,  Based on my decades of Leica experience to include the S system, you might consider waiting another month for the arrival of the S3.  The S007 prices will drop even more as photographers will be trading in those models.  Same goes for the S006.  The S007 is a reliable camera at least for me.  Saving that idea, if you go the S006 route, you need to get some kind of warranty from the dealer to ensure the sensor doesn't have issues, even if its a store 30 day warranty.  I would not buy any camera off eBay unless it is from a dealer.  Before you buy an S2/S006 or even S007, you should contact the Leica Service Center and see what warranty work has been done.  They will tell you based on the serial number.  Right now, there are several like new S007 offered by dealers on eBay at reasonable prices.  For any used S cameras, I always ask for the Leica Customer Service paperwork for any sensor replacement and most certainly any used S lenses.  If they don't have the paper work and tell you, "Trust us"...I would not buy it no matter how good the price.   Bottomline on used S equipment:  "Trust, but verify". Hopefully the good deal on the 35mm Summarit had the AF motor updated. Again, you can call Leica and ask if the lens AF motor was updated or already had the new motor installed based on production date found on the outer brown/tan box label. As for the SL/SL2 goes and S lenses, the combo works superbly.  Only problem, the AF will be slow and that might not be an issue for you.  Check out the Leica Forum S Image thread for photographs taken with the SL and S lenses.  Hope this helps.  r/ Mark

Thank you all, this is really helpful! The lens I've got is new from a reputable dealer, so warranty shouldn't be an issue. As for Ebay, I stopped using it years ago. I'll keep my eyes open for what happens when the S3 comes around. AF speed is not really a problem, for what I do even manual focus is fine (but the eyes are not getting younger...).

Patashnik,  One last thing, if your camera dealer or have a near by Leica dealer/boutique has an SL/SL2 and S to L adapter, you might go try your new lens out and see if the AF speed is acceptable. If the AF speed isn't an issue for you, the SL cameras might work best for you depending on your genre of photography.  r/ Mark

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, LeicaR10 said:

Patashnik,  Based on my decades of Leica experience to include the S system, you might consider waiting another month for the arrival of the S3.  The S007 prices will drop even more as photographers will be trading in those models.  

I'm hoping that this will be the case but I'm wondering if those who can afford a £20,000.00+ S3 would likely keep their 007 as a backup camera. 

• Like 1

A new S lens from a reputable dealer for hundreds of dollars?  I’d like to know that story (and so probably would Leica). What’s their price for a new S007? 😳

Hopefully the new lens has the new AF motor part; even new S lenses with the old part have been reported to fail right away, sometimes negating even manual focus.  But if your starting point is hundreds, not thousands of dollars, and/or warranty applies, not much to worry about, at least cost-wise.

I won’t stop using M cameras as long as my sight allows, and recently added the SL2 system as a complement.  Nonetheless, for a bargain basement price, I’d still pick up an S007 with 70 Summarit.  The gorgeous OVF alone is worth it, and the larger sensor provides better tonality in print than a 35mm system, regardless of MP.  But the S006 would be too limiting for me for handheld work in other than good light; the S007 is far more flexible.

Jeff

11 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

A new S lens from a reputable dealer for hundreds of dollars?  I’d like to know that story (and so probably would Leica). What’s their price for a new S007? 😳

Agreed...sounds like stolen goods to me, but if it is a "reputable dealer" they seemed to make a big mistake. The last three on ebay sold for 2200-3200 (3200 being for a new one). This is still a catastrophic fall from retail, but less than 1000 dollars (presumably, though euros would also be super low) is odd.

Sarnian,  So far Leica has not announced the price for the S3 and anything out there is a guess.  I wouldn't be surprised if the S3 costs less.  The body didn't change, nor did the controls.  Only the sensor and board/processor changed.  I also wouldn't be surprised in the future that Leica offers an upgrade for those who own a S007 or even a trade-in upgrade offer.  I have learned with Leica, one can usually count on the element of surprise.  AND...we all know how everyone loves Leica surprises...wink.   r/ Mark

S3 is coming very soon following the rumor. But I don't see this as a chance to buy cheap S007 cameras. Most likely the retail price of the S3 will be very high. But it is common sense to say that few buyers will pay the full price as new S adopters is not the target. Current S users is. So what's most important is the trade-up option Leica will propose.

Based on the past experience I think Leica wants at least 10.000eur/$ for their new camera. Trading-up an S007 will get you the 10.000 ticket, trading-up an S006 or older S2 will cost you more of course. They already did this when the S007 came out and this is in line with the S3 offer with S007 trade-up I already received... in April'19.

So S007 users will upgrade to the S3 and their S007 won't show up on the 2nd hand market or they won't upgrade because the new S3 package doesn't offer enough value, and they will keep working with their S007. In both cases the S007 bodies won't be available for 2nd hand market.

With less S007 systems on the market in the coming months and more activity/media around the S system due to the S3 announcement it is more likely that the S007 price drop will stop or even raise a bit.

Just my personal view on those things. 

Edited by SaW

rem:

Price wise the cheapest option to use a 35mm is to find a 2nd hand S to L adapter (around 750eur) and a 2nd hand Panasonic S1 camera (sold for less than 2000eur). There's no AF with S lenses and the Panasonic but the MF assist function and the EVF are great so it works pretty well.

I'm using S lenses with my S1R and finds it really funny. But  will trade the Pana for the SL2 as my 3 newly acquired M lenses are crying for an M or SL body (the Pana + M lenses is no good !)

3 hours ago, SaW said:

S3 is coming very soon following the rumor. But I don't see this as a chance to buy cheap S007 cameras. Most likely the retail price of the S3 will be very high. But it is common sense to say that few buyers will pay the full price as new S adopters is not the target. Current S users is. So what's most important is the trade-up option Leica will propose.

Based on the past experience I think Leica wants at least 10.000eur/$ for their new camera. Trading-up an S007 will get you the 10.000 ticket, trading-up an S006 or older S2 will cost you more of course. They already did this when the S007 came out and this is in line with the S3 offer with S007 trade-up I already received... in April'19.

So S007 users will upgrade to the S3 and their S007 won't show up on the 2nd hand market or they won't upgrade because the new S3 package doesn't offer enough value, and they will keep working with their S007. In both cases the S007 bodies won't be available for 2nd hand market.

With less S007 systems on the market in the coming months and more activity/media around the S system due to the S3 announcement it is more likely that the S007 price drop will stop or even raise a bit.

Just my personal view on those things. 

And, under this scenario, what do you think Leica will do with the S007s that are traded in?  Sit on them or put them into the used/demo/refurb market?

I also recall when the S007 came to market, Leica temporarily ran a promo on new S006 bodies (formerly near $25k) for $6500, presumably to clear inventory.  They then jacked up prices again; timing is everything.

Anything is possible, but unless the S3 pumps life into dealer sales, and the longer used product sits, the more likely bargains will appear. If S3 buyers are already invested in the system, and have S lenses, then that’s already not good for dealers.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

1 hour ago, albertknappmd said:

I am worried that your purchase may not be kosher... Too cheap for that lens..

Ask for the serial number on the lens and then send Leica an e-mail (Customer.Care@leica-camera.com) asking them to check if it's on their stolen items list. If the seller is reluctant to give you the serial number then I'd smell a rat - even more so than I already do!

Edited by Sarnian

The dealer is good, checked out fine with Leica (bought from one of the top  3 largest dealers in my country). I think I will follow the SL route. After the DMR and having to recell batteries, I have to admit that any digital camera older than 2015 makes me hesitant.

Patashnik,  Good to hear your dealer and lens all check out fine.  I think you will find the SL route a very good option for you based on all that you wrote.  There are a good number of excellent previously owned SLs out there and of course the new SL2 is there too.  Both very good choices.  Look forward to seeing some of you 35mm Summarit photographs posted soon. r/ Mark