Sigma adapter MC-21 Canon

Ivar B

Advertisement (gone after registration)

16 hours ago, fzero said:

If there is not a workaround, does anyone have a suggestion for reaching 500mm+ ? 

The problem with those old lenses is that they aren't officially compatible with the Sigma converter, and they use a lot more power than any L-Mount lens.

There are a few workarounds.

You could use a Sigma lens that is compatible with the MC-21. These include 500/4.0, 60-600, and 150-600.

You could use a USB power bank to keep your battery topped-up.

You could get a Panasonic S1 body just for long-lens work, or keep a Canon around for that stuff.

The problem will resolve itself over time. Sigma and Panasonic are both expected to release more long lenses.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2021 at 6:37 AM, BernardC said:

The problem with those old lenses is that they aren't officially compatible with the Sigma converter, and they use a lot more power than any L-Mount lens.

There are a few workarounds.

You could use a Sigma lens that is compatible with the MC-21. These include 500/4.0, 60-600, and 150-600.

You could use a USB power bank to keep your battery topped-up.

You could get a Panasonic S1 body just for long-lens work, or keep a Canon around for that stuff.

The problem will resolve itself over time. Sigma and Panasonic are both expected to release more long lenses.

Thank you. I may keep a Canon body around for now, and work towards the Sigma EF long lenses instead of Canon long lenses, in theory they would work on the SL2 with the adapter. And hope it isn't too long before we see some true L-mount super tele photo lenses. 

• 1 month later...

Hi, 

I am getting error message saying "lens firmware not supported please update firmware" I have SL1 running latest 3.7 firmware.  Has anyone had this issue? or know how to resolve? I am trying to mount a Canon 135 F2 using the MC21 EF. 

I Dowloaded latest firmware from Sigma but can't get past this error in the viewfinder. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

18 minutes ago, _sticky_ said:

Hi, 

I am getting error message saying "lens firmware not supported please update firmware" I have SL1 running latest 3.7 firmware.  Has anyone had this issue? or know how to resolve? I am trying to mount a Canon 135 F2 using the MC21 EF. 

I Dowloaded latest firmware from Sigma but can't get past this error in the viewfinder. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

MC-21 is not compatible with Leica SL(1) ...only SL2....sadly.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

33 minutes ago, _sticky_ said:

Hi, 

14 minutes ago, Boojay said:

MC-21 is not compatible with Leica SL(1) ...only SL2....sadly.

Following up on what Jayne said, only the Novoflex adapter EF to L works on the SL601. The Novoflex adapter is no longer in production, but they are available on eBay. Also check with Novoflex they may still have stock.

Here's a link to a thread dating back to Sept 2019: 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, _sticky_ said:

Thanks for the prompt reply.  That was my fear.  Maybe I need to look into the Sigma 135mm now then.  Thanks so much. 

The Sigma's an outstanding lens, good choice. It will also operate more seamlessly on the SL.

Edited by michali

• 1 month later...

I am considering the Sigma Sports 500mm f4 lens to use on my SL2 with the MC-21 adapter.  Has anyone tried this combination?  My photographic goals for use of this combination would be both for landscape shots at a distance  and for wildlife/birds.  Also, is there any information on performance comparison of the Canon or Sigma mount lens + adapter on the SL2?  The 500mm lens comes in both Canon and Sigma mount, so if one has better performance than the other when adapted to the SL2, that would be useful information to have.

With the upcoming firmware update for the SL2, I  wonder if there will be any improvements in AF capabilities with the adapter.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/29/2021 at 5:31 PM, AButtolph said:

I am considering the Sigma Sports 500mm f4 lens to use on my SL2 with the MC-21 adapter.  Has anyone tried this combination?  My photographic goals for use of this combination would be both for landscape shots at a distance  and for wildlife/birds.  Also, is there any information on performance comparison of the Canon or Sigma mount lens + adapter on the SL2?  The 500mm lens comes in both Canon and Sigma mount, so if one has better performance than the other when adapted to the SL2, that would be useful information to have.

With the upcoming firmware update for the SL2, I  wonder if there will be any improvements in AF capabilities with the adapter.

I have no experience, nor do I recall tests/experiences, with the Sigma Sports 500mm on SL2. I would expect, however, that af is fine for static and semi-static scenes, not for birds in flight or (somewhat quickly/erratically) moving animals. I can highly recommend Canon 400mm f4 DO v2, also with Canon's 1.4x extender, coupled to the SL2 with Sigma MC-21 (for Canon EF lenses). The af is, again, fine for static/semi-static subjects but otherwise too slow (no problem for me as I prefer manual focus); the optical image stabilisation is great (the ibis cannot be used), the optics is fantastic and the lens is relatively small/light. There are some used on the market, at least if you can wait a little...

Edited by helged
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your helpful recommendation, helged.  I appreciate you taking the time to recommend the Canon gear.  I have decided to hold off for the time being on getting a long lens to use with the SL2.  But, I may start to think about it again later in the year.  Being able to resolve fine detail at long distances would be the main priority and the Canon may be just the ticket for that.

In July, I spoke with a representative from Sigma who highly recommended the Sigma 60-600mm with the MC-21 adapter.  He stated that the AF would perform exactly as a native lens on my Sl2 (contrary to what I had read online) and that the detail at distance would be excellent.  So, I tried it and he was wrong on both counts.  The AF was really, really bad and no AF-C at all.  Focus was very sharp at fairly close distances, but out past about 30 feet, it degraded.  At longer distances it was terrible.  I may have had a bad copy as I have seen other much better results with the same lens model.  Anyway - the lens and the adapter were returned.

45 minutes ago, AButtolph said:

Thanks for your helpful recommendation, helged.  I appreciate you taking the time to recommend the Canon gear.  I have decided to hold off for the time being on getting a long lens to use with the SL2.  But, I may start to think about it again later in the year.  Being able to resolve fine detail at long distances would be the main priority and the Canon may be just the ticket for that.

In July, I spoke with a representative from Sigma who highly recommended the Sigma 60-600mm with the MC-21 adapter.  He stated that the AF would perform exactly as a native lens on my Sl2 (contrary to what I had read online) and that the detail at distance would be excellent.  So, I tried it and he was wrong on both counts.  The AF was really, really bad and no AF-C at all.  Focus was very sharp at fairly close distances, but out past about 30 feet, it degraded.  At longer distances it was terrible.  I may have had a bad copy as I have seen other much better results with the same lens model.  Anyway - the lens and the adapter were returned.

Your experience fits with my (subjective) observation; Sigma 60-600 is a (very) fine lens up to some tens of m, but it degrades on long distances. Hopefully Sigma will come with a 500mm f4 or similar lens in L-mount...

Edited by helged

On 7/28/2021 at 3:49 AM, AButtolph said:

Just wondering if you know what firmware the lens was running? I'm using the Sigma 24-105 with the MC21 and Panasonic S5, and the AF performance is even spottier than what I've seen online. The Sigma 18-35 doesn't even register properly as an aps-c lens, which is apparently due to old firmware. I'm in the process of getting the Sigma EF dock, which will allow me to update the firmware on both lenses. Hopefully this will make things acceptable.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2021 at 6:16 AM, Archiver said:

Just wondering if you know what firmware the lens was running? I'm using the Sigma 24-105 with the MC21 and Panasonic S5, and the AF performance is even spottier than what I've seen online. The Sigma 18-35 doesn't even register properly as an aps-c lens, which is apparently due to old firmware. I'm in the process of getting the Sigma EF dock, which will allow me to update the firmware on both lenses. Hopefully this will make things acceptable.

I don't recall the version offhand, but I did have the dock and either checked that the latest firmware was already in place, or updated it.  I don't recall the exact situation now.  So, it was as good as it could get.

Thankfully, Sigma is releasing the Sport 150-600mm for L mount so a native option will be available soon.  I will wait on real-world reviews and images before ordering, but it looks promising.

• Like 1