Sigma adapter MC-21 Canon

Ivar B

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I received the adapter today. The S1R reported software was V1.0 and I checked and an update V1.1 is available. Downloading and updating via the camera was completely hazzle free.

I have only tested one Canon lens so far, the 2.5/50 Macro. The MC-21 has an LCD display and if the lens is supported, it is supposed to light up green, and if it there is no light, the lens is supposedly not supported. The Canon lens did not receive any green light status, but it still worked well. Not 100 %, though. Autofocus was quite fast, and optimal focus was kind of "almost" there, and then in a very brief period it snapped into focus. I am happy with the performance. Perhaps the green light status is reserved for Sigma lenses. I have a Canon 5.6/400L as well and I will test that lens shortly. 

The viewfinder in S1R is superb. The variable magnification is really useful, and even if my SL was very good, this is even better. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ivar, would you mind checking if the IBIS works in video and stills with your 400/5.6? I have a Mk1 70-200/2.8 without IS and wondered if the IBIS will work (it's similar vintage to your 400).... I've not found any definitive answers on this anywhere. Thanks, P

2 hours ago, colonel said:

I want to buy the MC-21, but sometimes its advertised as the Sigma SA to L-mount convertor, and sometimes as the Canon EF to L-mount convertor

Is this all the same convertor, or different models ?

thanks

Different models; you want Sigma MC-21 for EF lenses, see the two options here https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1463161-REG/sigma_sigma_mc_21_mount_converter_lens.html?_gl=1*1w1tx45*_ga*YW1wLThFenFvRFVpRnB6U25BYWYxTVVXcE44VTBxZEtkMkFVdGo3dFhYZU9NNjNhUGRWeTAyTC1tZUdpak1fbS0wVUg.

• Like 2

vor 10 Stunden schrieb colonel:

I want to buy the MC-21, but sometimes its advertised as the Sigma SA to L-mount convertor, and sometimes as the Canon EF to L-mount convertor

Is this all the same convertor, or different models ?

thanks

Sigma lenses come in different mounts. There still is the Sigma-SA mount. If you have these lenses, then you need the MC-21 Sigma SA model. The MC-21 for EF-lenses was primarily designed to support sigma lenses with EF-mount but it works for most Canon lenses with EF-mount too.

On 2/26/2020 at 12:23 PM, PCPix said:

Ivar, would you mind checking if the IBIS works in video and stills with your 400/5.6? I have a Mk1 70-200/2.8 without IS and wondered if the IBIS will work (it's similar vintage to your 400).... I've not found any definitive answers on this anywhere. Thanks, P

I tested it out this afternoon (stills only) and it appears to bo working very well with the Canon 5.6/400L. IBIS body symbol is clearly present. Autofocus is also quite good, much better than the Novoflex adapter on the SL. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 hours ago, Ivar B said:

I tested it out this afternoon (stills only) and it appears to bo working very well with the Canon 5.6/400L. IBIS body symbol is clearly present. Autofocus is also quite good, much better than the Novoflex adapter on the SL. 

Thank you for this Ivar, really appreciated. It’s good to hear things have improved. The Novoflex adapter does seem to have attracted some less-than-favourable reviews.   

If you are able to do a video check at some stage, that would be immensely helpful.  I’ve had situations shooting on tripod, on wood mezzanine floors with conveyors running - where I’m getting  slight vibration movement (flutter) which would be easily eliminated with IBIS....

Many thanks for your help in answering my queries...

• 3 months later...

I've tested just tested the Sigma MC-21 Canon EFL adapter with Canon L 24-105 f4. / L 70-300 f4-f5.6 and the Canon 85 1.4 (the only Canon lenses I've got with me in Kendal at the moment) and they work really well despite not triggering the LEDs.

Does anyone have any further information?  I can't see a way of updating firmware on the MC-21 EOS? Will it depend from an eventual FW update from Leica (as part if its compliance with the L-mount consortium)?

• Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 9:19 PM, chris_tribble said:

Hmmm ... did the firmware upgrade to 1.2.  Still no LEDs.  Lens functionality fine though, so not sure what's happening.  Anyone with an idea?  Other experience with Canon lenses?

Chris- I've been using my Canon EF 400mm f/4 DO IS II USM Lens on the SL2 with the MC-21 adapter since Dec. last year. I'm very pleased with the way the lens works on the SL2.   AF speed is reasonably fast & accurate with no hunting, the lens' OIS works well & full EXIF information is recorded. I've never had any LEDs come on/off on the adapter, I'm not bothered about it.

Best

Mike

Dear  Mike

That’s helpful.  I was sufficiently encouraged by the functionality of the lenses to make the decision to sell my Canon DSLR bodies, only retaining the 70-200 2.8 mk 3 which I’ll continue to use for events and reportage (I don’t do critters or sports, so longer FLs  don’t  really figure). Having an integrated system with M bodies plus the SL2 to cover macro, architecture, portraiture, landscape and events feels like I’ve got what I need after years of schizophrenia. And there are future choices of some outstanding L mount lenses should the need arise.  I’m happy!

Best

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I wish I'd seen the foregoing post before letting my optimism get the better of me.  Knowing that the Canon 300mm f/4 IS USM has been on the market since 1993, I took a leap of faith in getting an MC-21 to use with my 2016 date-coded copy.  Not only does it not autofocus, either by itself or with the 1.4X Extender III; it can't be used as a manual focus lens with the MC-21.  On the SL2, the manual focus menu option is greyed out and the camera defaults to AF-S, even with the lens switch set to manual focus.  Fortunately I have a dumb adapter for it, but I'm more likely to use the 280APO if I'm restricted to MF.

Attached is an image depicting what happened when I moved the switch on the lens to manual focus, focused manually, and pressed the shutter button.  When set to AF-S, the focusing elements sometimes move, sometimes don't, and the focus confirmation sometimes beeps when there's nothing but a blur in the EVF.  

I found a link to a site that purports to have a list of Canon lenses that have been tested with the MC-21, but it appears that the website no longer exists.  If anyone knows of such a resource, I'd much appreciate your sharing the link here if possible. Otherwise, it looks as though I have a second paperweight to go along with my Novoflex SL/NIK . . . 🙃

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Boojay said:

I did post a (the) link somewhere on here and had thought I had downloaded the list but can't seem to find it now, sorry Rob.  Have you thought of maybe contacting - via message on DPReview, the photographer that posted his findings... 

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62621172

Thanks for the link and suggestion, Jayne.  After taking a glance at Canon's EF telephoto lineup, I see there's nothing else I'd really want to use with the adapter in view of the fact that it's AF-S only.  I have the RF 600 & 800 f/11 siblings, which are fun to play with on the RP (and surprisingly good lenses), but of no practical use until I can travel again.  

I had hopes that the MC-21 might give the 300 some new life on the SL2.  Sigma's exclusion of Canon-branded glass for the product was clear, and I took a partially-informed chance that didn't work out. Maybe there'll be a firmware update or a workaround that enables use of the lens; but if not, I'm relatively content using the Lumix and Leica options until or unless some manufacturer comes out with a high-quality, long prime for L-mount . . . 

. . . by which time I'll probably be too decrepit to carry it! 🙃

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
Am 7.12.2020 um 10:27 schrieb tritentrue:

I wish I'd seen the foregoing post before letting my optimism get the better of me.  Knowing that the Canon 300mm f/4 IS USM has been on the market since 1993, I took a leap of faith in getting an MC-21 to use with my 2016 date-coded copy.  Not only does it not autofocus, either by itself or with the 1.4X Extender III; it can't be used as a manual focus lens with the MC-21.  On the SL2, the manual focus menu option is greyed out and the camera defaults to AF-S, even with the lens switch set to manual focus.  Fortunately I have a dumb adapter for it, but I'm more likely to use the 280APO if I'm restricted to MF.

Too bad that the SL2 behaves that way. I'm sure on a Panasonic you could at least focus manually.

Edited by tom.w.bn

• 2 months later...

I have the SL and SL2, and MC-21, and a number of Canon lenses as I try to exit Canon gear. WIth the SL2 (2.0 fw) and the MC-21 (1.3fw) I cannot shoot at medium or high burst mode. The camera gives me an error message: "Battery Power Not Sufficient for 4k Recording and Burst Shooting". Are there any settings to get around this? If the AF is slow and the burst mode is not an option, it kills my enthusiasm for this converter altogether. I've tried the 70-200 2.8 II, the 100-400 II, and the old 500mm f4 lenses.  I have read posts saying the 400mm DO II works great but do you have burst mode with it?    If there is not a workaround, does anyone have a suggestion for reaching 500mm+ ?      Thanks.