Sign in to follow this  
Ivar B

Sigma adapter MC-21 Canon

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I received the adapter today. The S1R reported software was V1.0 and I checked and an update V1.1 is available. Downloading and updating via the camera was completely hazzle free.

I have only tested one Canon lens so far, the 2.5/50 Macro. The MC-21 has an LCD display and if the lens is supported, it is supposed to light up green, and if it there is no light, the lens is supposedly not supported. The Canon lens did not receive any green light status, but it still worked well. Not 100 %, though. Autofocus was quite fast, and optimal focus was kind of "almost" there, and then in a very brief period it snapped into focus. I am happy with the performance. Perhaps the green light status is reserved for Sigma lenses. I have a Canon 5.6/400L as well and I will test that lens shortly. 

The viewfinder in S1R is superb. The variable magnification is really useful, and even if my SL was very good, this is even better. 

Ivar, would you mind checking if the IBIS works in video and stills with your 400/5.6? I have a Mk1 70-200/2.8 without IS and wondered if the IBIS will work (it's similar vintage to your 400).... I've not found any definitive answers on this anywhere. Thanks, P

I want to buy the MC-21, but sometimes its advertised as the Sigma SA to L-mount convertor, and sometimes as the Canon EF to L-mount convertor

Is this all the same convertor, or different models ?

thanks

2 hours ago, colonel said:

I want to buy the MC-21, but sometimes its advertised as the Sigma SA to L-mount convertor, and sometimes as the Canon EF to L-mount convertor

thanks

Different models; you want Sigma MC-21 for EF lenses, see the two options here https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1463161-REG/sigma_sigma_mc_21_mount_converter_lens.html?_gl=1*1w1tx45*_ga*YW1wLThFenFvRFVpRnB6U25BYWYxTVVXcE44VTBxZEtkMkFVdGo3dFhYZU9NNjNhUGRWeTAyTC1tZUdpak1fbS0wVUg.

vor 10 Stunden schrieb colonel:

thanks

Sigma lenses come in different mounts. There still is the Sigma-SA mount. If you have these lenses, then you need the MC-21 Sigma SA model. The MC-21 for EF-lenses was primarily designed to support sigma lenses with EF-mount but it works for most Canon lenses with EF-mount too.

On 2/26/2020 at 12:23 PM, PCPix said:

Ivar, would you mind checking if the IBIS works in video and stills with your 400/5.6? I have a Mk1 70-200/2.8 without IS and wondered if the IBIS will work (it's similar vintage to your 400).... I've not found any definitive answers on this anywhere. Thanks, P

I tested it out this afternoon (stills only) and it appears to bo working very well with the Canon 5.6/400L. IBIS body symbol is clearly present. Autofocus is also quite good, much better than the Novoflex adapter on the SL. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 hours ago, Ivar B said:

I tested it out this afternoon (stills only) and it appears to bo working very well with the Canon 5.6/400L. IBIS body symbol is clearly present. Autofocus is also quite good, much better than the Novoflex adapter on the SL. 

Thank you for this Ivar, really appreciated. It’s good to hear things have improved. The Novoflex adapter does seem to have attracted some less-than-favourable reviews.   

If you are able to do a video check at some stage, that would be immensely helpful.  I’ve had situations shooting on tripod, on wood mezzanine floors with conveyors running - where I’m getting  slight vibration movement (flutter) which would be easily eliminated with IBIS....

Many thanks for your help in answering my queries...

I've tested just tested the Sigma MC-21 Canon EFL adapter with Canon L 24-105 f4. / L 70-300 f4-f5.6 and the Canon 85 1.4 (the only Canon lenses I've got with me in Kendal at the moment) and they work really well despite not triggering the LEDs.

Does anyone have any further information?  I can't see a way of updating firmware on the MC-21 EOS? Will it depend from an eventual FW update from Leica (as part if its compliance with the L-mount consortium)?

You can update the MC-21 through the camera, just did mine that way. Instructions were at sigmas website. 

Hmmm ... did the firmware upgrade to 1.2.  Still no LEDs.  Lens functionality fine though, so not sure what's happening.  Anyone with an idea?  Other experience with Canon lenses?

On 6/20/2020 at 9:19 PM, chris_tribble said:

Hmmm ... did the firmware upgrade to 1.2.  Still no LEDs.  Lens functionality fine though, so not sure what's happening.  Anyone with an idea?  Other experience with Canon lenses?

Chris- I've been using my Canon EF 400mm f/4 DO IS II USM Lens on the SL2 with the MC-21 adapter since Dec. last year. I'm very pleased with the way the lens works on the SL2.   AF speed is reasonably fast & accurate with no hunting, the lens' OIS works well & full EXIF information is recorded. I've never had any LEDs come on/off on the adapter, I'm not bothered about it.

Best

Mike

Dear  Mike

That’s helpful.  I was sufficiently encouraged by the functionality of the lenses to make the decision to sell my Canon DSLR bodies, only retaining the 70-200 2.8 mk 3 which I’ll continue to use for events and reportage (I don’t do critters or sports, so longer FLs  don’t  really figure). Having an integrated system with M bodies plus the SL2 to cover macro, architecture, portraiture, landscape and events feels like I’ve got what I need after years of schizophrenia. And there are future choices of some outstanding L mount lenses should the need arise.  I’m happy!

Best