Leicaflex SL - exposure meter problem

tippyland

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I am the new owner of wonderful Leicaflex SL camera with Summicron-R 50mm f2 I lens. Unfortunately I have some problem with light meter which is not working properly. The rapid winding lever switches the exposure meter and follow pointer needle (without circle) shows up on the viewer. Unfortunately the meter needle (with circle) shows up with f11 or f16 apertures and longer shutter speed dial settings only. It does not show up within lower apertures and faster shutter speed.

Can you give me some advice what could be the problem and how potentially to fix it?

Thank you.

Hello Tippyland,

Welcome to the Forum.

Nice choice. A 50 or so year old Leicaflex SL is a  good camera by today's film camera standards.

To begin with: What ASA/DIN numbers did you set on the film speed dial? Using 100/21 to test with might be helpful in diagnosing the problem.

Also, please keep in mind that the film advance lever has to be in the "stand off" position for the meter to be on.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

@Michael
The film is set to ISO200/DIN24. The lever is on the "stand off" position. The following needle is moving when light is changing. The only problem is that the meter needle is not visible for lower apertures and shows up for F16 aperture and longer speed (eg. 1sec) only.

@a.noctilux
This is the first version of Summicon-R 50/f2 from 1975, with a thinner hood mount.

Hello Tippyland,

The "needle" that moves as the light intensity changes is the light level indicator. The device that moves as you change the shutter speed or/& lens opening is the "follower".

Because: By moving the "follower" (With the circle.) to "follow"  the light intensity "needle" until the center of the "follower's" circle overlaps the line of the "needle": 

Which is done by adjusting the shutter speed/lens opening:

A correct combination of shutter speed/lens opening for an appropriate exposure has been set: For the ASA/DIN that has been set.

Keeping in mind that the SL in a Leicaflex SL refers to the 7 millimeter wide circle in the center of the viewing screen which represents the small portion of the entire screen that the meter is actually measuring.

Best Regards,

Michael

Hello Tippyland,

If you do NOT have a Leicaflex SL instruction book you can go to the top of THIS page:

And the "wiki" icon.

Then go to the left. To the "English" version.

Then go to "Leica R" film cameras.

Then "click" the "Leicaflex SL" icon.

Then scroll down to the instruction book.

You might find reading about the light meter, etc to be helpful.

And we can continue here.

Best Regards,

Michael

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks a lot for your help. I have red the manual. Combination of the aperture + ASA/DIN + shutter speed makes movement of the follower. I was wrong writting that it appears on the F16, it appears with F2 and B or 1 sec shutter speed only, my mistake. ASA is set to 100. Follower is at the bottom near lower black dot painted on the viewfinder in this case. It does not want to go up to meet light level indicator needle which moves on the top in a normal daylight. I think the problem could be with the follower's mechanism which could be wrongly assembled or something responsible for exposure step indication is broken.

Yes - sure sounds like an internal linkage problem. The follower needle (circle flag) is purely mechanical from the aperture, shutter speed, and ASA setting. On my SL with ASA 100 and f2.0, the follower is at the top dot in the meter range at 1/4 second.

Do you have a new battery in the camera?

Is it a correct battery?  The Leicaflex SL used Mercury batteries, which are no longer available, at least here in the USA.  This requires using a Wein cell battery or having the camera converted to modern batteries.

Are you using an R lens that has both 1st and 2nd cams?

I once had an SL where the lollipop of the meter became misaligned.  It required service.

Don't give up on these cameras.  They are great once you get them functioning.  

Edited by TheBestSLIsALeicaflex

The Leicaflex SL meter needle is a bit counter-intuitive because it moves down with more light.  So with aperture wide open and a long shutter speed the meter needle should be near the bottom of the finder.  If your meter needle does not move all the way to the bottom of the finder in daylight conditions and those exposure settings and fresh battery I suspect the Cds cell has reached the end of its service life.  Ignoring the meter, check that the follower can cover the full range of the finder by selecting a small aperture (f16) and a fast shutter speed.  You can take off the lens and activate the mechanism with your finger (6 o clock on the lens mount) while looking through the finder.

I have just picked up a mint SL myself, waiting for next paycheck for a 3 cam lens:).  

Edited by andrew01

• 4 weeks later...