New Review! Leica 1A by Mike Eckman (link)

Ambro51

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you’ve not spent time on Mikes camera review site, check it out!  He’s inspired me in many ways, his great review of the Ansco Automatic Reflex (TLR) prompted me to buy one!    So to help his efforts, I’ve lent him both my Bell and Howell Foton and my Leica 1A.  The Foton review is on line, and without doubt the fullest review of the Foton and Bell and Howell ever written.  ••••••  Now the Leica 1A review is online!   check it out!  Photos from the camera, a general history of Leitz etc.   (now don’t get upset the site has some ads).    https://www.mikeeckman.com/2020/02/leica-model-a-1930/

Edited by Ambro51
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Ray. His description of using the I Model A is very accurate. I should know, as I have 8 of them. There is something liberating about pre-setting exposure on a simple but logical camera and using zone focus. We have let cameras become over-complicated and as Mike's photos show we don't need all of the 'extra technology' to get great photos.

William

• Like 1

Thank you very much for posting the link (and for loaning the camera!).

Much of the history, of course, is well-known yet there was quite a bit regarding the earlier history of the origin of the company in there which was completely new to me. Great review into the bargain. Very Enjoyable Read.

Thanks again!

Philip.

• 2 months later...

It’s not just the 1a that uses scale focussing, I have two later Standard models that I like to use. Having to estimate the distance with your own built in rangefinder (two eyes) is good practice. Today I did the same using my CL (film) as the rangefinder has faded out to the point of not being visible at all, testing a new lens.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I had forgotten about this article, which I wrote about 3 years ago, when I made my post above. It gives a good idea of what a I Model A is capable of. The 'comparison' with an M10 was just done for fun, but some people took it more seriously than they should have done.

https://www.macfilos.com/2017/10/30/2017-10-23-a-tale-of-two-leicas-90-years-apart/

I said that I found scale focus liberating, but I have been getting into old large format cameras recently and many of them have focusing via a rear glass screen, but with my poor eyesight I have had to invest in a loupe to do this properly. 

William

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Very interesting, both Mike Eckman;s review and Wiliam's article. Which reminds me to visit macfilos much more often, but I must admit that I now spend my (corona) working days mostly behind the computer, after which I often need a book to get back to the real world again.

Lex

vor 19 Stunden schrieb Pyrogallol:

It’s not just the 1a that uses scale focussing, I have two later Standard models that I like to use. Having to estimate the distance with your own built in rangefinder (two eyes) is good practice. Today I did the same using my CL (film) as the rangefinder has faded out to the point of not being visible at all, testing a new lens.

Could you please tell us more about this lens after you have processed the film? Did you have on a digital body, too?

21 hours ago, sandro said:

Very interesting, both Mike Eckman;s review and Wiliam's article. Which reminds me to visit macfilos much more often, but I must admit that I now spend my (corona) working days mostly behind the computer, after which I often need a book to get back to the real world again.

Lex

Thanks Lex. I will do a book the next time! I have done about 36 articles for Macfilos and some of them have found their way into print magazines. I have also done other articles print only for LHSA Viewfinder, The UK Leica Society Magazine and Photographica World, published by the Photographic Collectors Club of Great Britain. My next venture will be in a couple of months when I will host a Zoom meeting for LHSA on 'Choosing and Using Old Leicas'. I will post a notice about that on this forum. Hopefully, it will also involve lively interaction with other collectors and users from around the world. The LHSA 'Zoominars' have been very successful. Last week we had one on Lightroom with 170+ people on from 7 different countries.

William

Edited by willeica

On 5/7/2020 at 4:45 PM, Pyrogallol said:

On 5/8/2020 at 2:41 PM, Pyrogallol said:

I developed the film yesterday, Rollei 400 Infrared, 19.5 minutes in Moersch Tanol.

Once I have printed a few pictures I will scan them to upload. I have not tried it on a digital body yet.

You can read about this lens here https://www.voigtlaender.de/lenses/vm/50-mm-13-5-heliar/?lang=en

Two pictures from this cone shaped Voigtlander lens. Going a bit off topic, but they are scaled focus. Both 125th at f5.6 on Rollei 400 Infrared, scanned from darkroom prints