Macro lenses for Leica CL. <merged>

DRWWE

Advertisement (gone after registration)

16 hours ago, nicci78 said:

[...] The main difference with older and newer version, is that you can use the newer one even if it is not retracted with Macro-Adapter-M. The aperture ring is different. The older one, has to be retracted to change aperture. Hence it is not possible to use conveniently with Macro-Adapter-M [...]

The earlier version can be used in retracted position as well but to change aperture, one has to extend a bit the tube before retracting it. Hardly convenient indeed but easily feasible and the clip-on hood can be reversed for transportation on the earlier lens, contrary to the current one, reason why i kept the former. To recall the order numbers:
• 11629 is the earlier 90/4 macro set (lens, macro adapter, angle finder)
• 11633 is the earlier 90/4 macro lens, black version
• 11634 is the earlier 90/4 macro lens, silver version
• 11670 is the current 90/4 macro lens, black version
• 12575 is the metal clip-on hood for both lenses
• 14409 is the earlier macro adapter
• 14652 is the current macro adapter

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by lct
  • Thanks 1

Oh yes reversible lens hood. 
A friend tried to use older version with Macro-Adapter-M. Having to pull a little bit the aperture ring, to change its value, then push it back, drives him crazy. 
He then sold both and bought Macro-Eimarit-R 60 for its SL. According to him. Best decision ever. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Oh yes reversible lens hood. 
A friend tried to use older version with Macro-Adapter-M. Having to pull a little bit the aperture ring, to change its value, then push it back, drives him crazy. 
He then sold both and bought Macro-Eimarit-R 60 for its SL. According to him. Best decision ever. 

IUFOO and 12575 hoods were dedicated to E39 90mm and 135mm M lenses since the fifties. All those i've been using since the collapsible Elmar 90/4 were reversible for protection and transportation. Here on Elmarit 90/2.8 v1 and Macro-Elmar 90/4 v1. Pity that the current version of the Macro-Elmar doesn't allow for such a reversibility. Now i like much the built-in hood of my R 60/2.8 but it is a 60mm lens and it is significantly bulkier obviously.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned back my TL 60mm Macro lens!

I was not happy with it on my CL, I didn't like how it's auto focusing works, manual focusing was a pain. Too much money for $3,295.00 that I rarely going to use, I think I rather spend $750 and get Macro M adapter to use with my M lenses such as APO Summicron 90mm.

Please don't get me wrong images came out great with TL 60, but focusing is the pain, I lice manual focusing instead and I realized I'm not such a macro photographer.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 minutes ago, eev776 said:

Anybody tried Leica Macro M adapter on CL body?

why not just get the R 60 f/2.8? It's absurdly cheap for the quality you get. Pair it with an off brand R-L adaptor.

Edited by bags27
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bags27 said:

why not just get the R 60 f/2.8? It's absurdly cheap for the quality you get. Pair it with an off brand R-L adaptor.

Interesting, you think R 60 f/2.8 lens is better than getting macro adapter for M lenses? Is image quality better or you can get closer?

44 minutes ago, bags27 said:

I did thanks for the link! 

What I see is that I would rather get M Macro adapter and use it with my APO Summicron 90mm.

OZ at Leica Review recommends it a lot too and it will work great with my future M camera https://youtu.be/aUJ1ULkJbYI

5 minutes ago, eev776 said:

I did thanks for the link! 

What I see is that I would rather get M Macro adapter and use it with my APO Summicron 90mm.

OZ at Leica Review recommends it a lot too and it will work great with my future M camera https://youtu.be/aUJ1ULkJbYI

Great, go for it!

And thanks for the link. It's very funny. The guy is completely muscle bound and yet thinks the weight saving on the lens is important!

The M 90/2 apo is a great lens but it is not at its best at close distance whereas the R 60/2.8 is made for that. Now if you have the 90/2 apo already it will do no harm to use it with the macro-adapter anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, lct said:

The M 90/2 apo is a great lens but it is not at its best at close distance whereas the R 60/2.8 is made for that. Now if you have the 90/2 apo already it will do no harm to use it with the macro-adapter anyway.

Sounds like a good suggestion! I just found a used Leica Macro M adapter at Leica store. I'll post my results.

1 minute ago, Boojay said:

Did you consider the L Mount Sigma 70mm Macro?

I did checked it out, but I want to use my APO Summicron-M 90mm lens for macro with Leica M adapter, plus I'm getting M10 camera soon as well.

I think it's easier to carry around an adapter vs. another lens.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, eev776 said:

I did checked it out, but I want to use my APO Summicron-M 90mm lens for macro with Leica M adapter, plus I'm getting M10 camera soon as well.

I think it's easier to carry around an adapter vs. another lens.  

For close-up images that sounds like a good plan, I believe with the adaptor you will get 1:2 unlike the Sigma or TL 60's true macro of 1:1.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Boojay said:

For close-up images that sounds like a good plan, I believe with the adaptor you will get 1:2 unlike the Sigma or TL 60's true macro of 1:1.

Good point, but I'm not so much macro person, sometimes I want to photograph my watch or some coins that's all.

• Like 1

The macro adapter is a useful accessory in that it takes little room in the bag and works with any M or LTM lens i would not use for macro normally. This CL shot has been taken with it and a tiny LTM Tessar 35/3.5 for example. I have not used the macro adapter with my 90/2 apo yet but i will try it by curiosity.

Edited by lct
  • Like 2

I vote against the Macro-Adapter-M 

It is a pain in the ass to use. Your distance and depth of field scale will be useless. You will have to fight between two different focusing rings. You will lose infinity. 
It is made for Macro-Elmar-M 90mm V2 in mind. And it shows. 

31 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

I vote against the Macro-Adapter-M 

It is a pain in the ass to use. Your distance and depth of field scale will be useless. You will have to fight between two different focusing rings. You will lose infinity. 
It is made for Macro-Elmar-M 90mm V2 in mind. And it shows. 

We lose infinity of course but both macro-elmar v1 and v2 work easily on the digital CL thanks to the EVF. Makes me think that i've never used DoF scales for macro but i must not be a true Leica man :D.