Macro lenses for Leica CL. <merged>

DRWWE

Advertisement (gone after registration)

when i see these old photos i wonder, that guy in the t-shirt, where is now ? - you have captured a snapshot in time but they are all people with lives and histories, always stirs up my curiosity. I guess that’s what “street” is all about.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ramarren said:

don't do color negs very often, but the simple approach I use for neutralizing the crossover mask is to make one capture of an unexposed piece of the film and use the white balance sampling tool in LR Classic (or Camera Raw) to set that to white. That's been close enough to allow the inversion to get into the ballpark for me. For example, I took this arbitrary frame...

Running into the problem that Portra 160 has a much denser base than the film you were showing (Kodacolor II 200 right?). When you try to set the white balance it pegs to 2000, the lowest allowed in ACR. So I can't really use WB as an adjustment. But doing a lot of the workflow in ACR, conversion to positive, more direct adjustments,  seems to get me to minor adjustments when I open the image, often just Auto Tone and Auto Color.

It is interesting that Kodak films have gone from a dense base in the early color negatives, to a lighter base, your example, then back to a dense base in their latest films.

The crossover base color and density varies a lot, I agree. I haven't shot Portra 160 but I have had a couple of films where the base density was too high to simply use the WB eyedropper. For those, I added exposure until it was in a reasonable range and then used the eye dropper, then cut back on the exposure. That seemed to work most of the time. 

Another technique I've used is to do the inversion with a customized camera calibration curve, using the DNG Profile Editor to create it. Shoot a photo of an Xrite Color Checker, make a positive digital capture of the same thing, and use the DNG Profile Editor to invert and set the rendering of the negative as close to the positive as possible. It's a bit of work but worth it if you have a lot of negs on a given "tricky" film to process. :)

G

The base on Portra is really dense, I had the exposure slides way up (4 stops) and still had a WB of 2000. But I am getting the workflow down, working in ACR seems to give me an image that can be cleaned up in Photoshop a lot easier than doing the work all in PS. I may go back to slides, that is what I shot before digital. Thanks for all your help.

Edited by tommonego@gmail.com

I’m looking to buy inexpensive macro lens for Leica CL.  APO-Macro-Elmarit-TL 60mm f/2.8 ASPH. is a great lens, but I don’t want to spend over $3k on macro that I’m going to rarely use. I’m sure that there is a great Leica and other brand lenses that will work well. Share your suggestions and experiences. Thanks.

The most underpriced macro available is the R mount f/2.8 60mm. it's a fantastic lens, but of course you will need adaptors to get it working on the CL. I use a number of R mount lenses (not that) on the CL with no problem.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/60mm_f/2.8_Macro-Elmarit-R

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, eev776 said:

I’m looking to buy inexpensive macro lens for Leica CL.  APO-Macro-Elmarit-TL 60mm f/2.8 ASPH. is a great lens, but I don’t want to spend over $3k on macro that I’m going to rarely use. I’m sure that there is a great Leica and other brand lenses that will work well. Share your suggestions and experiences. Thanks.

Sigma's 70mm f2.8 macro in L mount is due to be released shortly. By all accounts an excellent lens at $569-

Sigma 70mm f2.8 DG macro

• Like 1

The Sigma is new in Leica mount. Don’t think it’s even available To purchase yet. You can read reviews in other mounts and it looks very nice. I just unloaded a lot of “stuff” and ordered the Leica 60 Macro TL for my CL outfit. Can’t wait to get it.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, bags27 said:

The most underpriced macro available is the R mount f/2.8 60mm. it's a fantastic lens, but of course you will need adaptors to get it working on the CL. I use a number of R mount lenses (not that) on the CL with no problem.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/60mm_f/2.8_Macro-Elmarit-R

Very  interesting suggestion I was wondering if I should open myself to the world of R lenses on my CL, I use mostly M lenses on my CL now. R to L mount adapter cost over a $1,000 I hope it worth it’s price.

1 minute ago, eev776 said:

Very  interesting suggestion I was wondering if I should open myself to the world of R lenses on my CL, I use mostly M lenses on my CL now. R to L mount adapter cost over a $1,000 I hope it worth it’s price.

No need for that. Just get a third party R to M for cheap. I do that with no worries. It just means that magnification is done with the arrows rather than the wheel.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, michali said:

Sigma's 70mm f2.8 macro in L mount is due to be released shortly. By all accounts an excellent lens at $569-

Sigma 70mm f2.8 DG macro

didn't know that: thanks! Seems like it might be a winner, though I wish it had the the same aperture ring as the 45mm f/2.8.

Edited by bags27
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, bags27 said:

No need for that. Just get a third party R to M for cheap. I do that with no worries. It just means that magnification is done with the arrows rather than the wheel.

Great news! Do I need a macro adapter or third party R to L will work fine?

1 hour ago, eev776 said:

Look at the CL IMAGE thread. There ia a recent poating of a flower where a close up attachment produced an excellent result. I have asked the poster for more info.

4 minutes ago, eev776 said:

Great news! Do I need a macro adapter or third party R to L will work fine?

No, just any R to M (there are no third party R to L that I know of). The R to M connects to your M adaptor and then to your CL.

If you want to just use an add-on macro filter, as wda alludes to above, of course Leica makes a very expensive one (elpro). But I don't think there's any difference between that and the far cheaper, superb Marumi DHG Achromat, available on Amazon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I switch from excellent APO-Macro-Elmarit-TL 60 to its big brother the R 100 

Why ? Because the R variant serves as long telephoto + portrait + macro lens. 
But it is quite heavy. But doing macros at 300mm is awesome. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

Phil -- do you have the specific 1:1 adaptor to go with that or is that the regular APO adaptor? If the latter, that interests me, too.

Just to say that the OP seemed to want to avoid a big investment. The R 60 is usually under $600, while your great lens snugs up toward $2k.

49 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

Wow it's a cool idea, thanks for sharing, but I don't think I want to carry that monstrosity with me outdoors.

Probably investing extra $1,500 and getting used or open box APO-Macro-Elmarit-TL 60mm f/2.8 ASPH. be better solution for me.

• jaapv changed the title to Macro lenses for Leica CL. <merged>

Received the Nikon 100 macro AiS, bought it rated Excellent +++++ (yes 5 pluses) well it had a lot of fungus, looked like surface so it is getting a CLA. Wrote back the guy and he said it was excellent it just had fungus hmmm. I could report him to E**y but I don't think it is worth it. 

So the first shot before it went in for cleaning. CL 100 f2.8 micro Nikkor

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Since the threads were merged, I might have said this before. But the Vivitar Series 1 90 f/2.5 macro is somewhat legendary. I have an original one with Nikon mount and it works very well on the CL. They get snapped up pretty quickly on ebay, but go for under $200. Another is the even more legendary Nikkor 105 f2.8 micro that's equally inexpensive.

The advantage of these is how inexpensive they are, so not much invested until you decide how much macro you want to do. 

• Like 1