Macro lenses for Leica CL. <merged>

DRWWE

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As I'm transitioning away from Nikon to my new CL, I'm contemplating a macro lens as I really enjoy close-up photography.  There is, of course, Leica's APO-Macro-Elmarit-TL 60mm f/2.8 ASPH.  I haven't had a chance to try one and hoped someone on this forum could comment on it.  What other options are there for the CL?  I have heard that Sigma is coming out with a 70mm f/2.8 DG Macro Art Lens at a very tempting price, but I have no experience with their lenses.  Any opinions and additional options (M lens with adapter?) will be appreciated.  Thanks.  

I know of no auto extension tubes, which would be really nice to have with the 55-135mm f3.5-4.5, which is a REALLY nice lens and focuses to 1 meter at all focal lengths, so zoomed in you can get a decent reproduction ratio. Definitely not a bug-shooting lens but you could be worse off at a place like the Arboretum.

I guess a higher quality close-up lens to screw into the front element might be acceptable, but I'd rather not. I wish someone like Kenko would come out with their two extension tube sets in L-mount.

All of the L-mount full-frame lenses would be an option, but preferably I want to stay with the TL lenses with my CL.

I have the Elmarit-TL 60mm f/2.8 ASPH. also and agree that it is awesome. I have only had it a short while but so far love it. 

I picked one up used on ebay for $1800 (54% of what new cost is!) and it is in absolute mint condition.

Here's a few macros I just shot.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AeroMirage said:

I have the Elmarit-TL 60mm f/2.8 ASPH. also and agree that it is awesome. I have only had it a short while but so far love it. 

I picked one up used on ebay for $1800 (54% of what new cost is!) and it is in absolute mint condition.

Here's a few macros I just shot.

that's a truly fantastic lens at an unbelievably good price. If I had seen that, I'd have had my credit card out in a heartbeat.

However, I just don't think it's worth the retail price. As great as it is, in the end, it is a lens that will draw on fewer than 1/2 the pixels if used on a full frame, and that's always got to be a consideration, especially when it comes to macro photography. The two R mount macros are fantastic, too. The 60mm is a steal, and the 100 is well-priced, and it is certainly among the very best macros ever made. 

Here are some with the CL w TL 60 2.8.  A terrific lens.  Rob

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Le Chef said:

I borrowed a CL last summer and the lens that was attached was the TL 60. Not the ideal lens for street photography, but it’s a really nice lens to use. I recently tried a 55-135 and didn’t like it for a number of reasons. My next lens will be the TL 60.

I have the 55-135. After 3 weeks, and before the end of the "trial" I was about to return it. Then, I sort of figured it out. It takes a while to get the setting right for focus, and then it's awesome.

For me there were 3 things: it felt cumbersome, the zoom mechanism felt gritty, the images did not seem special compared to the ones I had taken with the 60mm.

In the end I passed: it’s a personal choice, and will now sell a kidney to buy the 60mm.

Edited by Le Chef
  • Haha 1

I have 2 lenses from my Canon FD days, a 40mm Makro Kilar, nice 50's lens, but for most things it has too short of working distance. The other is is a Vivitar 90-180 f4.5. This lens solves to working distance problem but is a just OK macro lens, not really crisp and very heavy for the CL, luckily it has its own tripod collar. I am thinking of looking into a 100mm R lens, which would help the working distance, and the several iterations all have a good reputation. The other is a Nikon 100mm which I have used extensively. Not really interested in autofocus with a macro.

90-180 Vivitar

Edited by tommonego@gmail.com
  • Like 2

Wanted a traveling size macro with better working distance than the 40, 55, 60 focal length. Just ordered a Nikon 100 micro manual lens, I have used these extensively  in medical photography and they all were excellent. A really good price from Japan. Was thinking of taking the Vivitar but at 2.5lbs it is a bit of a beast. 

13 hours ago, Marac said:

Sigma do a 70mm macro f2.8 for Leica L mount, it is part of the Art series of lenses, priced around £500, not tried it yet but I'm sure it will give the Leica 60mm a good run. 1/4 the price.

Will that mount to a CL? I heard there were issues with the SA to L adapter?

1 hour ago, geoffreyg said:

I believe the lens is for the Leica L mount system so it should fit on the CL, SL, SL2, T, TL, & TL2 as well as the S1, S1R by Panasonic and also the Sigma FP camera.

I hope to get one for testing next week so I will confirm it works on a CL & T, they are the only L mount camera bodies I have.

Edited by Marac

11 hours ago, geoffreyg said:

Yes it will work,  it's being made in L mount as well & due to be released early next month.

10 hours ago, Marac said:

I believe the lens is for the Leica L mount system so it should fit on the CL, SL, SL2, T, TL, & TL2 as well as the S1, S1R by Panasonic and also the Sigma FP camera.

I hope to get one for testing next week so I will confirm it works on a CL & T, they are the only L mount camera bodies I have.

I've been in contact with Sigma regarding the launch date for this lens in L mount, I was told it should be available by early February.

It will work on all L mount cameras as a native lens.  @Marac looking forward to getting your feedback once you've tested it.

Best

Mike

• Like 1

• jaapv changed the title to Macro lenses for Leica CL. <merged>