I still don't know which is better M10m or mono246?

Kamyar

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey guys. Actually I still don't know which is better. Mono246 or m10m. I know 40mp is better, more detail, smaller, but i have mono246 + sl2. I have more details with SL2, and i can shoot with mono246. Actually i have both, details and really b&w. Do you consider having a m10m a necessity?  If money doesn't matter what choice you make!  Why? Thanks 🙏 

Edited by Kamyar

I love my M10M and am completely happy with the new body. But I also generally love the M10 platform over the M246. 

Image wise... the M246 Monochrom remains an utterly brilliant camera. There’s no reason to talk yourself into an upgrade if you’re happy with the M246. IQ differences are real, but not night and day. 

• Like 4

Technically the M10M has more resolution. So it is "better". But I already have the SL2 for that.
And I use many old lenses (from the 90s), so I can easily live with 24 Mp. And would probably be less happy with 40 Mp (looking for weakness in the corners.). So I keep the M246. (For me it is the "better" camera).
If I will ever want more resolution, then I will go for a SL3 or similar camera. (in the remote future)
(I will actually downgrade a bit. For AF without problems and video with good software support, I use the iphone more and more. Simply convenient.)

Edited by caissa
  • Like 1

Many have upgraded from M240 to M10. I would guess that the same reasons would apply for upgrading from M246 to M10M. The increased resolution is a bonus. If money does not matter (as stated by OP), then the choice seems clear: M10M. I do not see any disadvantages of M10M when compared to M246, except for the cost of the upgrade.

The situation becomes very subjective when we include the cost-benefit analysis.

• Like 1

I cannot say for certain as I have never owned or used either the M246 Monochrom or the M10 Monochrom, but the M10M's 40.9 MP sensor with an ISO range of 160-100,000 is awfully compelling.  Also given the fact that the M10M sensor was designed from scratch specifically for black and white use makes me think that the M10 Monochrom is the best choice.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

Also given the fact that the M10M sensor was designed from scratch specifically for black and white use makes me think that the M10 Monochrom is the best choice.

Good story, but fake. The M10R version, for example,  will use the same sensor with color array.  The Monochrom was released first rather than the reverse, which is typical.  And as Nicci has explained in various posts, Leica (like other companies) also uses the same basic sensor in various sizes to gain economies.  This one is derived from the S3 (as the M240 came from the S007).

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

Good story, but fake. The M10R version, for example,  will use the same sensor with color array.  The Monochrom was released first rather than the reverse, which is typical.  And as Nicci has explained in various posts, Leica (like other companies) also uses the same basic sensor in various sizes to gain economies.  This one is derived from the S3 (as the M240 came from the S007).

DPR wrote about M10M: It uses a new 40MP sensor that Leica says was 'designed from the ground up' to handle black and white photography. 

It could be that there was a misunderstanding, but it could be that indeed the sensor was designed to handle black and white efficiently without precluding its use with a CFA.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Good story, but fake. The M10R version, for example,  will use the same sensor with color array.  The Monochrom was released first rather than the reverse, which is typical.  And as Nicci has explained in various posts, Leica (like other companies) also uses the same basic sensor in various sizes to gain economies.  This one is derived from the S3 (as the M240 came from the S007).Jeff

Given the cost of developing any image sensor, manufacturers must take advantage of economies of scale. I can’t see the M10M sensor being developed in isolation. Having it derived from the S3 and sharing it w the M10R makes much more sense. 

• Like 1

On 2/11/2020 at 3:14 AM, Kamyar said:

Hey guys. Actually I still don't know which is better. Mono246 or m10m. I know 40mp is better, more detail, smaller, but i have mono246 + sl2. I have more details with SL2, and i can shoot with mono246. Actually i have both, details and really b&w. Do you consider having a m10m a necessity?  If money doesn't matter what choice you make!  Why? Thanks 🙏 

Kamyar,

Probably the best thing for you to do is make a table, 3 columns.  The left column has each feature for each camera, megapixels, video, max ISO, etc on separate rows.  Then the second column is the 246 and the third is the M10.  Then check off the boxes and get the camera that checks the most boxes that mean the most to you.  

Better option would be to rent an M10M, if that's available to you, and find out firsthand.  

Finally, "if money doesn't matter" get the M10M and after a while decide if you want to keep both or sell one.  And, no, having an M10M is not a necessity, although in my case it allowed me to come off life support. 😁

• Like 1

If I were considering trading up to a M10M from the Mono 246, trade ups are always challenging to justify. In my case, as an S shooter who doubts the monoS will ever appear, I decided to reenter the M, last having an M9, so for me the decision was not which mono, but a new entrant into the mono society. And for me, only the M10M could compete and exceed the B&W conversion of a 007S.

• Like 1

Historically, I’ve always tried to skip a generation or two with most upgrades. I think the M10M is a better upgrade for someone with an M9M than an M246, although I myself have no plans to upgrade. 

This weekend I was on the rooftop of a garage where I shot 10 vertical photos of the skyline and later stitched them together in Lightroom for a 181mpx image. Being able to do this in software takes some of the allure away from the M10Ms 40mpx sensor; just some as the comparison really isn’t fair. Still, if I pick up one it’ll be when it’s successor is announced. 

• Like 1