erniethemilk

Running two of the same cameras?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought my M6 classic back in autumn last year and am totally enamoured by it. It’s the best film camera I’ve ever had and I really do like it. 

My only issue is I like to shoot predominantly black and white (I home dev & scan) and a lot less colour. 

I’m thinking I’d really like to pick up a second camera up for colour so I can keep a roll of each in each camera. 

I’ve considered lots of different options but think I may look to add a second M6 classic so I keep it all the same for simplicity and ease of use swapping between cameras. Might go mad and have a chrome one as a second as mine is black. 

Anyone else run two of the same camera for black and white in one and colour in a second?

12 minutes ago, erniethemilk said:

I bought my M6 classic back in autumn last year and am totally enamoured by it. It’s the best film camera I’ve ever had and I really do like it. 

My only issue is I like to shoot predominantly black and white (I home dev & scan) and a lot less colour. 

I’m thinking I’d really like to pick up a second camera up for colour so I can keep a roll of each in each camera. 

I’ve considered lots of different options but think I may look to add a second M6 classic so I keep it all the same for simplicity and ease of use swapping between cameras. Might go mad and have a chrome one as a second as mine is black. 

Anyone else run two of the same camera for black and white in one and colour in a second?

You have my full permission to buy another M6.

Good here, isn't it!

Whenever it has been possible I have always run two cameras which were the same, for a variety of reasons. So it sounds like a good idea to me.

I always prefer to carry two bodies as I hate changing lenses. I did this for a while with an MP in silver and an M-A in black which was fun.

In the end I gravitated to shooting one digital body and one film body. My setup has now stabilised with the Q-P and the M-A with the lovely Zeiss 50mm Sonnar. 

I sometimes bring two, a TTL and an M4, for this reason so I vote yes, go ahead and buy a second body :)

I love spending other people's money :D 

1 hour ago, erniethemilk said:

Getting a second one is just the start !

Back in the 70’s I bought an M3, then a second one. One double-stroke the other single.

After a long break from Leicas I was offered a 11f, then bought an other screw body, now I have several.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Perhaps not exactly the same camera might be an option:

What is the best solution for using 35mm lenses with an M3? Goggles, or external finder or just guessing? No, an M2.

What is the best solution for using 90mm or 135mm with an M2? M3. 

Two bodies is a minimum. Pick your justification...

Keep a spare in case the main body develops a fault, no matter how unlikely. 
Different films (speed, slide, neg, b&w, saturated, skin tones).

Different focal lengths (for those of us who avoid changing lenses)

Combination of any of the above. 
I vote for a chrome body so you can tell them apart easily :)

I have an M-A and an M4 that I load with different film stocks.  Truth be told, the M4 isn't getting a lot of use these days as it's loaded with TMax 3200 and I very rarely shoot in low light situations.  Still, it's nice to have two bodies because, well, they're beautiful cameras 🙂

For years I had 2 M2's one I had custom repaired, M4 viewfinder, wind, it was a lovely camera, the other I found beat up in a camera store, seemed to work fine, gave it a CLA and it was my ugly Leica. Sold them both to a kid wanting a Leica, he had them repaired and recovered. I was dedicated to digital, but as it happens, a college friend passed away gave me her M3 as I was instrumental in her buying it. I had it repaired now I am back with film.... 2 of the same camera is nice to have.

I started off rationalizing that I needed 2 film Ms, one for color and one for B&W.  And I ended up with 4.

An M3 b/c that was my first love

Then an IIIg but that ended up being more limited to very bright conditions and my 28mm

An M7 which ended up being used only for snow blizzards

An M-A b/c it is the greatest camera in the world.

When I go on long vacations with the potential to do some street photography, I typically will take two bodies, one for portra 160 that i shoot my family with at box speed and another for portra 400 that i push 1 stop.  

I lose track so stick a bit of film box on the baseplate...which also stops me accidentally opening to "check if I'm running film"..🙃.

My IIIc i use for FP4 and run at boxspeed.  My M6 has Kodak Gold 200, as does my Nikonos III (just in case i feel like 50m freedive before lunch). Think i have same colour film in my FE2...need to run that through too.

Also my Pentax 645 has had some 120 FP4 for some 2 to 3 years now.

I've got some grafmatics and double darks loaded for my Linhof and Crown Graphics...again FP4...the best b&w for me...but can't tell when I'll use them soon again (mainly for pinhole really).

Feeling a bit like Garry Winogrand with a lot of undeveloped rolls sitting in a plastic bag.  So am going to run them over to my processing place...and will have a few rolls back soon...😃

Edited by david strachan

I think having a second body of the same type makes a lot of sense. I have three M6TTLs - one in each viewfinder magnification. When I want to only take one camera, I take the 0.72 finder. If I feel two bodies would serve me better I take the 0.58 and the 0.85. With the two-body arrangement, one is in black (the 0.85) and one silver - this really does allow you to rapidly recognize one from the other. Or then again there is of course the option of taking all three - the 0.58 and the 0.85 with (say) black and white and the 0.72 with color - that way all lenses will be good no matter if you are using b&w or color.

So, there you are - you thought you'd get out of it lightly by only having to obtain ONE other body! Ha!

Having two film M’s was quite normal in those days and today, if you do mainly film, also. I also preferred a chrome and a black version. I used the chrome for color, slides mainly. However, for slides I preferred the M7 because in AUTO position it has a continuous shutter time range and is thus more precise. If a second M6 is too much money for you, you can always think of an M4, undestructible and for color negative good enough because of the exposure latitude of these films. I use a very handy Gossen Digisix along my M4 for incident light metering.

Thanks guys for all the comments. I think I’m going to start looking for a second M6, quite fancy a chrome one as a second camera. 

I'm a simple guy, so a second M6 with the same 40mm Summicron would be the ideal set up to match the black model I have. As my OCD kicks in it’s perfect for me to have 2 identical cameras with the same lens.... takes the ‘what if’ out of lens choice 😀

Now all I have to do is find a ‘Leitz’ badged early chrome M6 to match my own model! 

On 2/12/2020 at 1:56 AM, A miller said:

Then an IIIg but that ended up being more limited to very bright conditions and my 28mm

Care to explain why, Adam?

Quite common in analog days. So I also have two M6 and one ZeissIkon. Before I had about 6 different Canon bodies.

14 minutes ago, nefarious said:

Care to explain why, Adam?

quite simply b/c I really don't like the viewfinder.  But If I don't have to use it and instead use the external VF and zone focusing, I LOVE the camera!!

18 minutes ago, A miller said:

quite simply b/c I really don't like the viewfinder.  But If I don't have to use it and instead use the external VF and zone focusing, I LOVE the camera!!

Ah I see - interesting to hear your views - thanks. I did pick up a VIOOH finder along with the camera but haven't used it yet. I need to find a suitable case for it as I don't like carrying it around loose in my pocket when not fitted...