Cloning From Different File Sizes

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It used to be that with earlier versions of PhotoShop I could clone from one image to another as long as the bit size was the same.  Now, if one file is bigger than the other, you can't do this anymore.   How is this an improvement to the product?  I called Adobe Customer support and they explained that it can't be done, you can't clone from a smaller image to a larger image. Any thoughts?  This will affect my ability to do photo collages.  

Are you saying that after you mask down to the part of the image you want, you can't drag and drop it to the other image?  You always have the option of resizing the masked image to anything you want in "Image" / "Image Size ..."  That is how you control the size of the inserted image into the background image or canvas.  I do a lot of collages, and I've never had a problem.  I've done collages from Photoshop CS in 2003 up to Photoshop 2020 with the same methods.  Could you provide more insights into your steps so we could try to duplicate your problem?

• Thanks 1

The statement that "could clone from one image to another as long as the bit size was the same" is not correct, at least in PS 2020.  (I don't keep older versions around to try it.)  You just get a warning when doing moving both 8 bit into  16 bit or 16 bit into 8 bit; you then have to click OK.  The same is true if the color space differs.

To drag and drop for collages, with all files open I use "Window/Arrange/Tile" and then use the Move tool from one tile to another.

• Like 1