UPS = BAD service

jto555

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I shouldn't be writing this now as it has only just happened and I am furious!

UPS were to deliver my camera, a M240 and a 135mm APO lens, that had just been serviced by Leica (Germany). The package was to be signed for on delivery. The van drove passed my house and went to the neighbour across the street where he got no answer at the front door. He then throw the package over the neighbours side wall and returned to his truck. So I went across the road and asked if he had a package for me. He looked at me and said that he had just delivered it to the neighbor as that was the address on the package.

We knocked at the neighbour to get the package back and checked the address. It was the correct address for my house!

So,

Delivered to the wrong house.

Thrown over the wall

Not signed for as stated on the delivery docket.

My camera and lens seem to be OK, so well done Leica for their packaging.

Has anybody else had a bad experience with UPS?

John

If it is not signed for, just claim that you never received it - that should cause plenty of trouble. For the sake of honesty, claim that your neighbour "found it in the garden" just before they would be paying out the insured value.

Disclaimer - I never had any problems with UPS, and they deliver almost daily to my practice.

• Like 1

I used to have great service from my prior UPS guy.  He would leave packages under cover on the porch instead of out in the weather and, if signature needed, would often return to my house later same day if I wasn’t home earlier.  I knew him by name and was sure to give a nice tip at year end (that he reluctantly accepted).  

After many years, his route recently  switched.  His replacement delivered  3 packages in a row to my neighbor’s house for signature, even though I never authorized any. The neighbor was convinced I did it intentionally and was not a happy camper.  I finally spoke with the responsible UPS guy and he said it was up to his discretion and that if a neighbor doesn’t sign, the new policy is to deliver it to the closest pharmacy that has a storage agreement.  I told him to do that in the future if signature is required and I’m not home.

Bottom line, I think the quality of service has as much or more to do with the service person than the company.  Same with many other service providers, regardless of hiring and training policies.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, jdlaing said:

That thrown package I’d how Leica gets an unfair rap for poor quality control.

I won’t use UPS anymore.

Plenty of videos online showing Fedex employees throwing packages with TVs, etc.  As I wrote, it’s the person more than the company.  I’ve had both great and unacceptable service from these and other shippers.

Jeff

I've calmed down now. Yes, the company is fine, it seems to be the driver where the service can slip. I did tell the driver the value of package that he throw over the wall and his face dropped.

Where it really went pear shaped was the tracking number showed that the package was left ouside my from door. So if I had not been home I would have thought that the camera was stolen. I never would have guessed to call into my neighbour and ask them to hunt around their garden.

Thankfully it all worked out, but I did send an email to that very nice lady in Leica customer care to let Leica know what happened. Not Leica's fault but let them know.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In the last year I've had UPS report packages left at my door (per my preferences on file with them), only to find them left on my light pillars at end of my driveway by the road, or on the ground next to my rural mailbox. That's 150ft + from my door. They used to be very reliable.

• Like 1

I have had too many delivery nightmares with UPS and Fedex.   My mailbox is 1.5 miles from my house and many times they will put my package (box) in a plastic bag and tie it to the bottom of my mailbox post for all to see.  Other times they have have just left it in the yard near the road.   Never had problems with the postal service.   I've had packages just disappear into thin air before delivery.  On two occasions they "lost" a new laptop computer I had ordered.  Never did find it.  Another time, they "lost" 40 lbs of cat litter.   

On 2/10/2020 at 2:36 PM, jdlaing said:

That thrown package I’d how Leica gets an unfair rap for poor quality control.

I won’t use UPS anymore.

Such a great point. I saw the fedex guy drop my 28 Lux twice, literally right in front of me. Imagine what happens behind the scenes.