SL2 or S1R?

Jon Warwick

Available in every FNAC on France. 
Coupon code : LUMIXS1R to get 1200€ discount. Until 31st March 
Additional -300€ per added lens. 
and other small discounts 

https://www.fnac.com/Hybride-Panasonic-Lumix-S1R-Objectif-Lumix-24-105-mm-f-4-S-Noir/a13292494/w-4

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by nicci78
  • Thanks 1

Interesting and an extremely good price. I would expect that this will have to trigger discounts in other markets also. In Norway, there is a 400 Euro discount on the S1/S1R bodies, and a further discount if you add the 24-105. Perhaps the cameras are glued to the floor in the shops - I don`t know. 

On 2/13/2020 at 3:34 PM, Ivar B said:

Interesting and an extremely good price. I would expect that this will have to trigger discounts in other markets also. In Norway, there is a 400 Euro discount on the S1/S1R bodies, and a further discount if you add the 24-105. Perhaps the cameras are glued to the floor in the shops - I don`t know. 

Panasonic have no FF equivalent to upgrade from so they are reliant on defectors from Leica, CaNikon, Sony, Fuji etc and with L mount lenses it was always going to be a hard sell in the current camera market. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 2/12/2020 at 5:07 PM, scott kirkpatrick said:

She did some astro photography, with long exposures, and some time lapse work, so clearly she had the right charger for the job.  I redid my experiment, this time successfully, using an iPad Pro charger.  My Anker 10,000, which did not charge the SLK22 battery while it was running, doesn't have a PD interface to switch on the higher voltage (the camera is looking for 9 V).  So Leica is leaving all of this a bit mysterious.  Perhaps they see another source of confusion similar to what happened once they started trying to help us all pick "good" SD cards, and found that SD cards aren't all the same.

Panasonic makes a clear recommendation that if you want external power you should by the AC to DC converter that they sell for the GH-5 and plug its output into a battery-shaped converter that replaces you original battery.  (Olympus and others have something like this.  I used it a while back to get power consumption waveforms to see how my E-1 did its power management.)   And there must be some concern about electrical noise when you use a switching regulator to create 15-25 watts of power for a camera.  Panasonic issues its AC adapter used only for charging batteries away from the camera with a USB C to C cord that has two ferrite RF absorbers to quiet it. 

Turn off camera, power up battery USB-C, turn camera back on. It works! you will see the battery icon change. Was shooting on one battery and external pack all day 1600 photos

1 hour ago, Photoworks said:

Turn off camera, power up battery USB-C, turn camera back on. It works! you will see the battery icon change. Was shooting on one battery and external pack all day 1600 photos

With my older Anker, I get unpredictable behavior.  The one consistent thing is that when the pack is connected with the camera OFF after a moment, the green light at lower left flashes every 1-2 secs, indicating battery recharge.  Plugging it in while camera is ON I get the "USB power unavailable" message and no power plug icon.  Plugging in while it is OFF, I sometimes get the error message, sometimes not. It seems the battery's interface is not meeting the later spec in some way.  

For my needs (long running video shooting indoors) the Panasonic S1's AC-DC converter seems a better solution.

6 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

With my older Anker, I get unpredictable behavior.  The one consistent thing is that when the pack is connected with the camera OFF after a moment, the green light at lower left flashes every 1-2 secs, indicating battery recharge.  Plugging it in while camera is ON I get the "USB power unavailable" message and no power plug icon.  Plugging in while it is OFF, I sometimes get the error message, sometimes not. It seems the battery's interface is not meeting the later spec in some way.  

For my needs (long running video shooting indoors) the Panasonic S1's AC-DC converter seems a better solution.

I undestand, the Anke batteries have a voltage regulator when you plus something in, Maybe that is what it is. I was using and Anker PowerCore 20100mAh

I quickly Googled the 20100 Anker, which you have.  It came out in 2015, so it's not a PD model.  The Lon Seidman video shows it providing 5 volts at 2 amps to charge a phone.  So the SL2 can keep its battery topped off with 5 volts, or recharge when the camera's other circuits are off.  But not always...

Your 20010 looks like 2 of my 10000's, naturally.

For pixel-peepers only!!  See if you can tell which of these was shot with the 35 SL-SC at f/2.0 ISO 100 on a Lumix S1R and which was on an SL2.  Both taken from the same spot, a few minutes apart. Long distances make DOF rather irrelevant, but I also took shots at f/5.6, which produced a barely perceptible increase in contrast.  And I'll post crops from 100% renderings in the upper left corner, where there is lots of interesting tiny detail.

Overall view:

U1010187 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

UL (1):

U1010187 copy by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

UL(2)

P1022813 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 1

From the same viewpoint, same lens (very heavily cropped), here's a view of a part of Sacher park which manages to look like a Mayan Ball court, and, beyond, the Nachlaot neighborhood, built in the late 1800s.

U1010179 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

• Like 1

I personally thought the SL2 looked noticeably sharper, whilst the S1R looked more smeared (imho). Either the test is slightly flawed (but still appreciated, so thanks for posting!), or ...and this not something I’d have expected .... the SL2 performs a bit better at the extreme edges (when compared to the S1R) when it’s specifically paired with this Leica “native” lens ....maybe the thinness of the glass stack over the SL2 sensor has some beneficial impact, even with the SL native lenses (let alone the M range) or maybe there’s an extra degree of fine tuning of the camera-lens chain that can be achieved by Leica for its SL2 camera + native Leica SL lenses?

Edited by Jon Warwick

Well, I agree that the SL2 (files starting with U) produces a clearer, more detailed image especially near the edges, and this example supports that.  Look at the fine detail on the three cranes.  Near center, as in the second post, the changes in lighting from one moment to the next obscure camera to camera differences.  For my normal output rendering at 50% resolution (12MPx), or even at 70% (24 MPx), these differences are invisible.  The small gain in a landscape shot at f/5.6 is real, but I often want to separate different planes in a normal setting, so f/2.0 is my most used f-stop.

Incidentally, the second photo is detailed enough to support a quick social study.  Notice the solar-heated hot-water tanks on the rooftops.  The smaller, vertical barrels are bog standard Israeli issue, one per family.  The larger horizontal barrels are a new model, and this is a neighborhood starting to undergo some gentrification, which you can track through the water system upgrades.

5 hours ago, verwackelt said:

I find the differences in the corners (cranes) quite drastic. Are you sure it could not be a focus issue?

I don't think so.  I used back button focus on the tall building in the center for both shots, and the buildings at the left are an equal distance from the camera.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

I don't think so.  I used back button focus on the tall building in the center for both shots, and the buildings at the left are an equal distance from the camera.

Those crane shots are very different in terms of detail... much different than I would have thought. 

I haven't compared myself... but friends that compared the two bodies directly have not noticed any difference between the two using SL glass...

If your shots are accurate... which I certainly don't doubt... the non stellar score of the 35 SL on DXO might be explained.

• Like 1