Customizing the FN buttons

biswasg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Received my new SL2 last Wednesday. Still understanding all functions.

Am struggling to find a way to customize the two front FN buttons. Not obvious in the manual.

Is there a way to assign the User Profiles to a button?

I have customized the press of the joystick to AF-L (back-button AF). Is there a way to uncouple AF-L from the shutter button half-press?

Is there a way to customize the thumb wheel to maginfy the image on playback instead of the front wheel?

Would be intersting to know how SL2 owners have customized their FN buttons and wheels.

4 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Just hold the function button down and the options will appear... then scroll and choose one.  Simple.

Jeff

Thank you Jeff for the trick. However, it the function is not saved to the button. It ony works once and again comes back to the default setting of magnification!

31 minutes ago, biswasg said:

Thank you Jeff for the trick. However, it the function is not saved to the button. It ony works once and again comes back to the default setting of magnification!

Long press works fine on mine to reassign functions.  For joystick focus, camera must first be set to manual mode, then customize joystick to AF-L.  

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

37 minutes ago, biswasg said:

However, it the function is not saved to the button. It ony works once and again comes back to the default setting of magnification!

Did you open the user profile menu in between? Fn-Button assignment is saved with them, and when you just open the user profiles menu and move away from the "Cancel" icon, the selected profile is applied and your changes are gone. Solution: Setup the camera as you want, including Fn-button assignments and save this as a user profile. You can then recall it any time. Works like a charm for me and I got used to it very quickl. Although I still wish one could delete or move the "Standard" profile out of the way...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Aktenschrank said:

Did you open the user profile menu in between? Fn-Button assignment is saved with them, and when you just open the user profiles menu and move away from the "Cancel" icon, the selected profile is applied and your changes are gone. Solution: Setup the camera as you want, including Fn-button assignments and save this as a user profile. You can then recall it any time. Works like a charm for me and I got used to it very quickl. Although I still wish one could delete or move the "Standard" profile out of the way...

Thank you Aktenschrank, I indeed had changed the user profile in between. I now managed to save the change following your instruction.