Leica Half Case On or Off?

Schittra

I have kept my Leica leather half-cases on my two M10s since I purchased them two years ago. After reading this post, I removed them and will only put them on the camera when I go out shooting. Permanent damage to the bodies have been avoided by using the half-cases, so I will continue to use them.

A close inspection of both bodies and half-cases show no signs of discoloration, mold or other nefarious evidence.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

Edited by budjames
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, budjames said:

A close inspection of both bodies and half-cases show no signs of discoloration, mold or other nefarious evidence.

Unless you are in an environment where mould is a prevalent feature I would think there will be no problems.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pedaes said:

Unless you are in an environment where mould is a prevalent feature I would think there will be no problems.

I live outside of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA. I have never had any issues with mold except when I sold all of my Fuji X gear to KEH after switching completely to Leica. All of gear is stored and handled with car. My Fuji XF 35mm f2 and XF 55-140mm f2.8 lenses were all ding on the sale value because of early evidence of mold inside the lenses. Both of these lenses are weather resistant and have never been out in the rain. It was a disappoint because it knocked $500 off the sale value. 

I had Canon "L" lenses for my previous DSLR system before switching to Fuji. The Canon lenses saw lots of bad weather and sea spray in over 12+ years of use. I never had and issues with the Canon glass and sold them privately for a good price, considering their relative age.

Hopefully, my Leica M10, SL2 and Leica lenses are my last camera systems. My GAS is done! :)

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

• Like 2

Leica M cameras are resistant to rain. One might call then showerproof rather than waterproof. If one has a half case attached it can collect rain drops. The electronics are vulnerable at the hot shoe and from the base. The hot shoe is fairly well protected. The base is unprotected from rain water collecting in a half case and interfering with the electronics. Half cases are fine, but remove them when wet weather is around. One splash and the electronics are finished. I was going to say buggered but sensitivity stopped me!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, farnz said:

And through the hole beneath the shutter speed dial.

Pete.

OK, thank you, that is another potential problem, although I have used my M240-P and M10-P in the rain and never considered that ... and never had a problem. I guess the M10 ISO dial is another potential ingress? If in doubt cover the top bits with cling film. 

Water goes down by gravity. No case, no collection, no osmosis.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jakontil said:

I spent too much on leather case and always went with the premium quality since the early M240, but only recently i realized the half case doesnt actually protect the camera other than the base plate,  besides, off the case it feels thinner and less bulkier

so i left it aside now

I had been using M6 and M9 without half case for 10 years without any problems. Just worried when Input on the table. Now I use Half case on my M10 and Q; and I start to worry about mold and impact on leather. Hahahaha

5 hours ago, Schittra said:

I had been using M6 and M9 without half case for 10 years without any problems. Just worried when Input on the table. Now I use Half case on my M10 and Q; and I start to worry about mold and impact on leather. Hahahaha

Im too possessive with my things but i guess the looks without the case really best.. .i even used the replacement base plate by luigi and RRS for m10-D and M10-p safari hahahahha 

the Q i would choose a case though

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Peter Kilmister said:

OK, thank you, that is another potential problem, although I have used my M240-P and M10-P in the rain and never considered that ... and never had a problem. I guess the M10 ISO dial is another potential ingress? If in doubt cover the top bits with cling film. 

Water goes down by gravity. No case, no collection, no osmosis.

I would hope that all of the places were protected with rubber grommets but they can degrade with time and become less effective.

Pete.

• Like 1

All half cases (and leather lens pouches) are a breeding ground for mold because they inhibit airflow and stop mold killing UV light from bathing the camera body, and so as soon as you have a closed system it will breed fungus. Throw you half case away, don't just take it off until the next time you decide to inflict it on yourself and your camera.

• Like 1