No more Mechanism Perfection…

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 minute ago, Stealth3kpl said:

That should not be the case. There's a fault.

Pete

Do you mean that the light meter should not turn on at all when the shutter is not cocked? Mine turns on but it gives an inaccurate reading due to the lack of the white dot being positioned on the curtain. 

11 minutes ago, Stealth3kpl said:

Yes.

Pete

Ok, then there is deff a problem.  I thought this seemed odd that it would give you two diff meterings depending on whether the shutter was cocked or not.  This is annoying to deal with after spending so much on this camera.  Realistically it means I'll have to send it in for warranty repair I guess.  Does that involve shipping to Germany or do they do it in the US? 

Edited by mediumformula
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mediumformula said:

Does that involve shipping to Germany or do they do it in the US? 

I you lived in the UK you would call it a "Royal" Pain In The Ass. Also, what happens here is you get in touch with the dealer and they send you a UPS label. You package it up and send it to Germany. It doesn't cost you anything if you arrange for it to be collected by UPS. I don't know what the deal is in the States but I would expect it to be the same. It's your dealer's problem. Let him sort it out for you.

Pete

3 minutes ago, Stealth3kpl said:

😅 Ian Watts! Go and wash your mouth out with soap and water. Naughty boy.

Pete

Yes, apologies for the intemperate language but I'm weary of all the pedantry and petty point scoring that seems to go on nowadays.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Stealth3kpl said:

I you lived in the UK you would call it a "Royal" Pain In The Ass. Also, what happens here is you get in touch with the dealer and they send you a UPS label. You package it up and send it to Germany. It doesn't cost you anything if you arrange for it to be collected by UPS. I don't know what the deal is in the States but I would expect it to be the same. It's your dealer's problem. Let him sort it out for you.

Pete

OK, thanks.  I called the Leica store today and am supposed to call back when the manager is in tomorrow.... I'll prob just go in with the camera.  This is probably the universe telling me I spent way too much money on a film camera. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, mediumformula said:

OK, thanks.  I called the Leica store today and am supposed to call back when the manager is in tomorrow.... I'll prob just go in with the camera.  This is probably the universe telling me I spent way too much money on a film camera. 

Honestly, I also thought the same about the universe when my first copy was faulty. Didn’t stop me from buying the second one :))

I hope we both use it a lot to take beautiful photographs, capture special moments and go fault free for decades!

• Like 3

This kind of misfortunes or misadventures can become a MYTH.

Like the beginning of canadian made Leica M4-2 which still suffer from the "unreliable M4-2 reputation/myth"

(which is not true for me as those M4-2 that I used were as reliable as Wetzlar's M4 ).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Landiah said:

Jesus.. reading this thread makes me think three times about my intent to purchase a new M-A at $5195 before tax.

Don't think twice. It is common on forums such as this for one person to report a fault and, suddenly, everyone gets in on the act. More faults than the number of cameras ever produced. Just ignore the scare mongering. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Landiah said:

Jesus.. reading this thread makes me think three times about my intent to purchase a new M-A at $5195 before tax.

Don’t do that😈. Why buy a new MA when you can buy a used but in good condition M3/4/6 at a much lower price? I no longer have faith in Leica QA.  

Update:  I went to the Leica store in SOHO today and had them check out my camera which they confirmed had a faulty light meter (it doesn't turn off when it's in the OFF setting and it activates when the shutter is not cocked).  The manager was very helpful and they shipped it off as a rush order to the Leica distributor in New Jersey to be repaired - from what I understand.  Hopefully this issue is resolved quickly and I don't have other problems with the camera.  This is not really what I expected to deal with with a new camera, but if it resolves quickly and the camera works properly, I'll be happy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mediumformula said:

Update:  I went to the Leica store in SOHO today and had them check out my camera which they confirmed had a faulty light meter (it doesn't turn off when it's in the OFF setting and it activates when the shutter is not cocked).  The manager was very helpful and they shipped it off as a rush order to the Leica distributor in New Jersey to be repaired - from what I understand.  Hopefully this issue is resolved quickly and I don't have other problems with the camera.  This is not really what I expected to deal with with a new camera, but if it resolves quickly and the camera works properly, I'll be happy. 

Leica users are just too kind :)  

Imagine if these kind of issue happens to a brand new Canikon…

9 hours ago, tjxism said:

Leica users are just too kind :)  

Imagine if these kind of issue happens to a brand new Canikon…

As long time Leitz/Leica (and other photo brands too) user, since long, I do understand the "not perfect Leica ..." , nothing in human made can be "perfect".

Leica do know that "human made" thing, so why guarantee is there, or better ... I have Leitz Trinovid with 30 years of guarantee and I've saw somewhere that even after 30 years,

if required, repair can be done with no charge on those old Trinovid 😎.

I do accept some flaws as I had no other choice, and each time Leitz/Leica performed well (even not quick in my experiences) in guarantee period, even

sometimes outside that period with no charge.

I can say that no other photo brands perform as well (mainly after guarantee period).

On 2/17/2020 at 1:44 PM, darkinners said:

Absolutely agreed with you! he is the nicest guy ever and vast knowledge of Leica. I always learn something from him every visit. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hey Darkinner, any luck getting your camera back?