tjxism

No more Mechanism Perfection…

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Some confusion here. I knew there was film on the roll, but just momentarily forgot. The glimpse of the counter jogged my memory just in time before I opened the base. All is good. 

17 hours ago, RobM said:

Some confusion here. I knew there was film on the roll, but just momentarily forgot. The glimpse of the counter jogged my memory just in time before I opened the base. All is good. 

Common error.  I've opened camera backs with film.  Opened up a developing tank with exposed but undeveloped film in it.  Do it once, won't do it again.  Funny thing though, the film is wound so tight that even with that cluster flub of a move, some frames survive.  Except when you shoot a roll in a camera that has no film.  Done that too.  Those pictures are gone for good. 

Edited by TheBestSLIsALeicaflex

It's been a while since I've forgotten to rewind the film but I did fairly recently drive down to the West Country for some walking and landscape photography and forgot to bring any rolls of film with me. The roll already in my camera was on about frame 35 but I didn't realise my oversight until I'd finished the roll so I didn't even have the challenge of eking out the remaining 2-3 frames over the course of the day.

Edited by wattsy

3 hours ago, wattsy said:

It's been a while since I've forgotten to rewind the film but I did fairly recently drive down to the West Country for some walking and landscape photography and forgot to bring any rolls of film with me. The roll already in my camera was on about frame 35 but I didn't realise my oversight until I'd finished the roll so I didn't even have the challenge of eking out the remaining 2-3 frames over the course of the day.

You can actually buy film in the West Country... you just have to ask properly "oooh aaaah me loverrr, be you havin' som 'that film stuff? ... and a paaasty".

Edit: translation for members unaware of the quaint and sensual West Country accent: "I say my good lady, may I purchase a roll or two of your finest photographic emulsion? ... and a delicious mixture of root vegetables and beef delicately wrapped in a light pastry".

Edited by ianman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, ianman said:

and a paaasty".

and a delicious mixture of root vegetables and beef delicately wrapped in a light pastry".

Ah yes - the Upper Michigan copper mining country also has great pasties. Sustained me through my college years...

2 hours ago, ianman said:

You can actually buy film in the West Country...

I know but it would have likely meant going in to Swindon (the nearest town to where I was at the time). I'd rather go without the film.

19 hours ago, wattsy said:

I know but it would have likely meant going in to Swindon (the nearest town to where I was at the time). I'd rather go without the film.

Swindon is not so bad - as long as you know the escape routes.

On 2/9/2020 at 5:07 AM, tjxism said:

Scratches at the same locations on different stock rolls

Sorry to ask, but are you sure, I see them at different locations on these images?

The  misalignment of the rangefinder gives the impression of lack of, or bad end control at Leica. But do you rewind your films very fast?

Edited by otto.f

1 hour ago, Keith (M) said:

Swindon is not so bad - as long as you know the escape routes.

Also, only just in the West Country I would have thought.

44 minutes ago, ianman said:

Also, only just in the West Country I would have thought.

Jesus wept. Obviously it's not as far west as Devon but it's still the fucking West Country. What is the matter with people in this forum?

On 2/9/2020 at 12:07 PM, tjxism said:

So much for “Mechanism Perfection”… 

My brand new MP scratches the negatives… Scratches at the same locations on different stock rolls developed by different labs. I even winded a few slides and cut them out unprocessed, same marks. 

Also the rangefinder patch can’t align at infinity. 

The camera is the final batch of a la carte “no logo”, manufactures in mid 2019. 

I’ve owned Q, M240, SL, M10, all lived up to the name of Leica quality. Although the M10 back button was a bit sticky, I didn’t complain. I’m not a picky customer :)Maybe Leica is more focused on their digital bodies now? Yes it’s under warranty and I can get it serviced, but who knows how long will that take…

My a la carte no logo MP also have this issue. I got it brand new and it has another issue other than this, My MP is made in Nov, 2019.

I see your 2nd photo looks like in Hong Kong? Did you buy yours in Meteor? I got it in Meteor. A brand new a la carte MP 0.72 no logo with M7 leatherette and all black base plate.

1. When film is loaded, the shutter cannot release, it stuck. The shutter can only release if the camera doesn't have film loaded. 

- Fixed, brought it to the retired Leica technician. The root cause is the release gear alignment is too tight, so when the film is loaded the film tension pulling the gear and it get stuck, he had to remove the top and align the gear again, loosen it 1 or 2 teeth. Now it work perfectly.

2. After the shutter issue got fixed. I bought the camera to Japan,shot 3 rolls. After I developed the films. Found out all films have few straight line scratch across the film. Just like yours. Now the camera is bought back to the tech, I shall have it back in few days. Hopefully it will get fixed but I am not 100% sure. As the tech had a brief look when I bring it to him, he said it looks perfectly fine and he doesn't understand why it scratch the film but he will disassemble it and find out why.  

Edited by darkinners

4 hours ago, darkinners said:

My a la carte no logo MP also have this issue. I got it brand new and it has another issue other than this, My MP is made in Nov, 2019.

I see your 2nd photo looks like in Hong Kong? Did you buy yours in Meteor? I got it in Meteor. A brand new a la carte MP 0.72 no logo with M7 leatherette and all black base plate.

1. When film is loaded, the shutter cannot release, it stuck. The shutter can only release if the camera doesn't have film loaded. 

- Fixed, brought it to the retired Leica technician. The root cause is the release gear alignment is too tight, so when the film is loaded the film tension pulling the gear and it get stuck, he had to remove the top and align the gear again, loosen it 1 or 2 teeth. Now it work perfectly.

2. After the shutter issue got fixed. I bought the camera to Japan,shot 3 rolls. After I developed the films. Found out all films have few straight line scratch across the film. Just like yours. Now the camera is bought back to the tech, I shall have it back in few days. Hopefully it will get fixed but I am not 100% sure. As the tech had a brief look when I bring it to him, he said it looks perfectly fine and he doesn't understand why it scratch the film but he will disassemble it and find out why.  

OMG, yes I’m in Hong Kong, camera a la carte no logo bought at meteor😅😅😅. I assume you’ve sent your camera to Panda repair? Can’t believe we have exactly the same experience. My camera also has a second issue: the rangefinder doesn’t align at infinity. 

I asked Jo at Meteor to find a tech in HK to get it fixed. Guess he also sent it to Panda. Did you show them your scratched film? I took some to the shop and he said the scratches looked very subtle, wasn’t sure why it was so obvious on the scan. What did you use to scan your film? I was using Plustek film scanner.

58 minutes ago, tjxism said:

OMG, yes I’m in Hong Kong, camera a la carte no logo bought at meteor😅😅😅. I assume you’ve sent your camera to Panda repair? Can’t believe we have exactly the same experience. My camera also has a second issue: the rangefinder doesn’t align at infinity. 

I asked Jo at Meteor to find a tech in HK to get it fixed. Guess he also sent it to Panda. Did you show them your scratched film? I took some to the shop and he said the scratches looked very subtle, wasn’t sure why it was so obvious on the scan. What did you use to scan your film? I was using Plustek film scanner.

lol I bought mine on 14th Jan in Meteor.Probably the same timeframe as you did.

I brought the MP to master Yu first (the retired Leica technician). He fixed the shutter issue at the spot. After I am back from Japan and discovered the MP scratched all my films. I contacted Master Yu again. however due to the coronavirus outbreak, Yu is taking a rest. I then bought it to master Yu's friend master Lo on last Monday.  I will go to collect the MP back tomorrow or on Monday. let's hope Lo can fix it.

Panada now usually  take at least 1.5 month to complete the service. As Master Lee is  semi retired now. So I haven't bring my gears to him to service in recent year.

I also use Plustek 8200i ai to scan my films.

Edited by darkinners

27 minutes ago, darkinners said:

lol I bought mine on 14th Jan in Meteor.Probably the same timeframe as you did.

I brought the MP to master Yu first (the retired Leica technician). He fixed the shutter issue at the spot. After I am back from Japan and discovered the MP scratched all my films. I contacted Master Yu again. however due to the coronavirus outbreak, Yu is taking a rest. I then bought it to master Yu's friend master Lo on last Monday.  I will go to collect the MP back tomorrow or on Monday. let's hope Lo can fix it.

Panada now usually  take at least 1.5 month to complete the service. As Master Lee is  semi retired now. So I haven't bring my gears to him to service in recent year.

I also use Plustek 8200i ai to scan my films.

Bought mine on 15th :)

I use Plustek 8200i AI with NLP as you do. Can’t utilize the iSDR function (it’ll be too slow anyway) if scan as DNG. I will probably switch to DSLR scan once I get my equipments from Taobao. 

Which lab do you use for developing? I mainly use Colourluxe but sometimes I find water marks on the negatives. 

Take care and stay safe. 

12 minutes ago, tjxism said:

I use Plustek 8200i AI with NLP as you do. Can’t utilize the iSDR function (it’ll be too slow anyway) if scan as DNG. I will probably switch to DSLR scan once I get my equipments from Taobao. 

Which lab do you use for developing? I mainly use Colourluxe but sometimes I find water marks on the negatives. 

Take care and stay safe. 

14 minutes ago, tjxism said:

Take care and stay safe. 

Same, I use 8200i ai 48bit DNG to LR with NLP.  Yeah, I don't use iSDR and ME and addition IR channel, it's too slow. 

I actually thinking to use my A7R4 and 90G macro to digitalize the films as well. I am thinking to get this one

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z0d.6639537.1997196601.166.28677484mvIt0p&id=578438683301https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z0d.6639537.1997196601.166.28677484mvIt0p&id=578438683301

And do you think Taobao ship to HK now? You know the coronavirus and stuff. You and your family please stay safe as well.

I generally use Dot-Well for C41 and E6 it's cheap and quick. B&W I develop myself. 

2 minutes ago, darkinners said:

Same, I use 8200i ai 48bit DNG to LR with NLP.  Yeah, I don't use iSDR and ME and addition IR channel, it's too slow. 

I actually thinking to use my A7R4 and 90G macro to digitalize the films as well. I am thinking to get this one

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z0d.6639537.1997196601.166.28677484mvIt0p&id=578438683301https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z0d.6639537.1997196601.166.28677484mvIt0p&id=578438683301

And do you think Taobao ship to HK now? You know the coronavirus and stuff. You and your family please stay safe as well.

I generally use Dot-Well for C41 and E6 it's cheap and quick. B&W I develop myself. 

They do. I recently bought toilet paper on taobao (you know why). 

I bought a similar film holder, but a Taiwan brand - Skier. You can buy it on Taobao and have it shipped from Taiwan (cheaper than from the brand’s own site). But I find the Taiwan made quality isn’t worth the extra money. The handcraft is unimpressive and the surface isn’t perfectly leveled (not even close) which may cause some trouble. I’m waiting for a second hand Nikon 60 AF-D macro so I can test it out. 

I’ll try Dot-Well next time. Colourluxe is more convenient for me as they are on island side. 

Hi.  I bought a new MP a couple weeks ago.  I have a question about it.  When I set the shutter speed to B/Off it still activates the light meter when I press the shutter button.  Is this normal?  Doesn't the B/Off selection mean that the light meter should not start blinking when I press the shutter button when it is set to this?   Actually, when the shutter is cocked, it seems that the light meter does not actuate when it's in the B/off setting. But when the shutter is not cocked it does.  That seems counter intuitive to me.  I'm new to Leica.  Thanks. 

Edited by mediumformula