No more Mechanism Perfection…

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So much for “Mechanism Perfection”… 

My brand new MP scratches the negatives… Scratches at the same locations on different stock rolls developed by different labs. I even winded a few slides and cut them out unprocessed, same marks. 

Also the rangefinder patch can’t align at infinity. 

The camera is the final batch of a la carte “no logo”, manufactures in mid 2019. 

I’ve owned Q, M240, SL, M10, all lived up to the name of Leica quality. Although the M10 back button was a bit sticky, I didn’t complain. I’m not a picky customer :)Maybe Leica is more focused on their digital bodies now? Yes it’s under warranty and I can get it serviced, but who knows how long will that take…

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I’ve owned all Leica film bodies (minus M5), and gotta say that the only problems that i ever had were all with the new cameras...the MP I owned had a lot of dust entering the viewfinder even after only a week of using it after Leica cleaned it for me... another one had a sticky shutter...so in the end what I did was sell those two cameras and get back to the golden age of Leica cameras; I decided to get an M4, but both the M2 / M3 that I had never gave me any issues. 

Hope your camera gets better, but if it doesn’t you might consider doing the same :) 

Edited by shirubadanieru
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

I’ve owned all Leica film bodies (minus M5), and gotta say that the only problems that i ever had were all with the new cameras...the MP I owned had a lot of dust entering the viewfinder even after only a week of using it after Leica cleaned it for me... another one had a sticky shutter...so in the end what I did was sell those two cameras and get back to the golden age of Leica cameras; I decided to get an M4, but both the M2 / M3 that I had never gave me any issues. 

Hope your camera gets better, but if it doesn’t you might consider doing the same :) 

Who would have known:) I chose brand new MP cuz I trust Leica QC more than a random second hand seller, but...

probably Leica isn’t expecting people to really use their new MPs these days. 

48 minutes ago, tjxism said:

Who would have known:) I chose brand new MP cuz I trust Leica QC more than a random second hand seller, but...

probably Leica isn’t expecting people to really use their new MPs these days. 

If you buy it from a reputable seller that has CLAd the camera, it’s as good as new. Leica also still repairs old cameras by the way. I feel that in terms of smoothness nothing beats the M3, but if you shoot 35mm I’d recommend the M2 or M4 instead. I still think MP / MA are great cameras, but from my own experience, they were more unreliable than 50 year old Leicas. This is just my personal experience, other people might have a different opinion. From my POV here’s how I’d rank Leica film cameras:

• M3 (if you shoot 50mm, nothing comes close to this camera, the viewfinder is amazing and it was the camera that taught me how to shoot meterless so it holds a special place in my heart :) )
  • M4 (pretty much a tie with the M2 but I pick it first because of the film loading spool being better, and having the automatic film counter.)
  • M2 (as the M4, if you shoot 35mm & 50mm it’s the perfect camera)
  • MP (next best thing, and it has a meter) 
  • MA (same as MP, no meter, better viewfinder though since the frame lines are better) 
  • M6 (it’s ok if but it’s the one I enjoyed the least, especially because of the viewfinder flare. I also don’t enjoy the red dot and M6 engraving in the front)
  • M7, M5 (never tried them but would especially avoid the M7 because it’s not fully mechanical)
Edited by shirubadanieru

Some years ago now my brand new MP had the same problem of scratching. You have to find out if its the Lab or the camera. Load a film into the MP you don't even need a lens. Run the film through the camera a then rewind stopping just before the film goes all the way into the cassette. Pull the film out and look at the cell and emulsion sides of the film. It could be the cassette side of the camera it  is well documented on this web site under MP film scratching. The scratching on my MP was due to the four screws on the back press plate. I now have a screw less plate fitted by Leica Germany - it fixed the problem! Good luck.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, delta100 said:

Some years ago now my brand new MP had the same problem of scratching. You have to find out if its the Lab or the camera. Load a film into the MP you don't even need a lens. Run the film through the camera a then rewind stopping just before the film goes all the way into the cassette. Pull the film out and look at the cell and emulsion sides of the film. It could be the cassette side of the camera it  is well documented on this web site under MP film scratching. The scratching on my MP was due to the four screws on the back press plate. I now have a screw less plate fitted by Leica Germany - it fixed the problem! Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. Yes I’ve gone though related topics in the forum and am sure it’s the camera not the lab (same method as you advised).

I don’t think it’ll be difficult to fix. However, the retailer in Hong Kong can’t service it locally so I dropped it at a reputable repair shop. Can’t afford the wait. 

In the 1960s it wasn't unheard of for a new camera to scratch film; nearly always from slight burrs on the pressure plate scratching the back of the film. We kept a flat 30,000 honing (polishing) store to buff the plate. A couple of wipes would cure it.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TomB_tx said:

In the 1960s it wasn't unheard of for a new camera to scratch film; nearly always from slight burrs on the pressure plate scratching the back of the film. We kept a flat 30,000 honing (polishing) store to buff the plate. A couple of wipes would cure it.

In the 1960s Leica wasn’t a luxury brand yet ;) . Paying $5,000, I expect them to polish that plate for me, lol. 

• Like 1

When I had MPs, sometimes after hard use, I saw bits of "dust or sand" in the multiple holes of pressure plate,

MP has new design (nice to look at 😉 ) pressure plate :

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

images from mir.com

From M3 to M6, pressure plates are smooth,

no screw holes to be "filled with bits" to scratch films

image from this site

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, tjxism said:

This is interesting to know. Why did LEICA make the change? Per delta100 mentioned above, older screwless plates can be swapped on MP body. Exposed 4 screws aren’t that pretty ;)

I don't know why Leica changed the pressure plate, here in MP.

Long time ago, M3 nice glass pressure plate exchanged to metallic ones for electrostatic generated by the glass + moving film.

For practical aspect, I've done simple and it took me less than one minute for MP, while changing film, just once in a while, toothbrushed the pressure plate.

Even on my two 2014's M-A, the pressure plates changed, no more multiple "esthetic" holes, but remain the four screws holes.

Whoa! I just went to check the pressure plate on my M-A, and just a millisecond before opening the base plate remembered

that it was 25 shots into a 36 film. Almost wiped the lot! I'll check later! (odd things going on with text formatting)

Edited by RobM

2 hours ago, RobM said:

Whoa! I just went to check the pressure plate on my M-A, and just a millisecond before opening the base plate remembered

that it was 25 shots into a 36 film. Almost wiped the lot! I'll check later! (odd things going on with text formatting)

Frame counter can help sometimes.

Some people ( including me 🙃) never set the frame counters of their M2 or Barnack Leica.

6 hours ago, RobM said:

Well, yes, it was the frame counter that alerted me. That was close. 

Well turning the rewind crank won't tell you anything other than that there is a film in the camera that hasn't yet been rewound. But for the sake of one frame lost just play on the side of caution and advance the film to see if there is anything left on the roll. If the average hit rate is 3 good shots from 36 you have an insignificant loss.

• Like 1