Power bank for SL2

Seymar

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Melampus said:

Thanks - I don't think it's your camera, see the post above from Scott (Feb 13th).

on the FX lion website, my batteries are indicated as QC3 and PD... So I'm not sure the problem come from the battery : specs of the nano :

• USB C Output/Input: 5V/3A, 9V/2A, 12V/2A, 15V/2A, 15V/2A, 20V/2.2A CompatiblePD2.0,QC2.0,QC3.0,BC1.2,FCP fast charge agreement

https://www.fxlion.net/product-detail/98wh-v-mount-battery-nano-two/

And I tried with different cables also... and I have the issue sometimes with a mophie powerbank, which is also PD

Edited by Mdol

Thanks - I do care about the paint 😁 - but good to know. I do have the RRS plate, which I agree is very nice. I'm certainly almost exclusively a still shooter, but I'm just getting started on Video, need to make some for my wife's business, so I'm learning as I go. 😅

What is the lens in your pictures - a Leica Cine? How does the follow-focus work for you?

I agree the SL2 is underrated for video, there is almost no information out there, and only a few threads here on the forum. Maybe traditional videographers think it's too expensive a camera.

Cheers,    -Peter

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mdol said:

on the FX lion website, my batteries are indicated as QC3 and PD... So I'm not sure the problem come from the battery : specs of the nano :

• USB C Output/Input: 5V/3A, 9V/2A, 12V/2A, 15V/2A, 15V/2A, 20V/2.2A CompatiblePD2.0,QC2.0,QC3.0,BC1.2,FCP fast charge agreement

https://www.fxlion.net/product-detail/98wh-v-mount-battery-nano-two/

And I tried with different cables also... and I have the issue sometimes with a mophie powerbank, which is also PD

Hmm - stranges. I notice FX Lion is only PD2.0, PD3.0 allows additional communication between source and load, I think. Not sure if that is important, the SL2 manual does not specify which is required. Wish Leica would be more clear on this. 

Cheers,    -Peter

4 hours ago, Melampus said:

What is the lens in your pictures - a Leica Cine? How does the follow-focus work for you?

Maybe traditional videographers think it's too expensive a camera.

It’s a standard Noctilux. I find the m lenses to be very comfortable to follow focus. But I’m not happy with the tilta one. Have to find something else. For simple capture, just the camera and a manual M lens is fine but you need a monitor to focus correctly. 

A traditional videographer might certainly not think that 6k is expensive for a camera ! Yes it is in comparison with all the Mirrorless stuff of these 4-5 last years. But if you make film or TV seriously, you’ll probably buy an Arri, a Red or a Sony and it will cost you at least 10k without any accessories. 

FWIW I've found experienced quite a few challenges with regards to keeping the SL2 powered via USB-C. I had the good fortune to be invited to a Zoom call w/Leica reps who advised that they had had good luck with plugging the SL2 in with their 60w MacBook Pro adapters and I gave that a shot and it, so far, has proven the most reliable. I have tried powering over USB-C via PD compliant power banks but to no avail. The two banks I tried were a Mophie Powerstation AC and a Goal Zero Yeti 500x. While they both worked perfectly when used in conjunction with their respective AC sockets, neither kept the SL2 going when used with their USB-C ports exclusively.

So in essence, I have to plug the 2-pronged AC adapter into a power bank in order to achieve guaranteed reliability.

Edited by cba20k

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've used my S1R AC to USB power converter to  power the SL2 while active, but haven't run it long enough to see if it could achieve steady state, or if the battery in the SL2 would still slowly discharge.  I think the latter, depending on the workload, since the measured current from the external adapter is constant, independent of what the camera is doing.  I haven't tried a MacPro converter but would expect something similar.

After a fair amount of acid testing and field use, I feel I can confirm that the internal battery on the SL2 does discharge (albeit at a dramatically reduced rate) when plugged into mains power via the USB-C port. Over the weekend I performed a 3000 shot time lapse with my SL2 plugged into a 65w MacBook Pro AC adapter which was in turn plugged into a Goal Zero Yeti 500x. At 3000 photos (shots spaced 2 seconds apart), I noted that about 20% of the SL2's battery had discharged despite being plugged in.

This may seem to be an acceptable rate of drain, but remember: the SL2 needs an internal batter with charge to function regardless of whether or not it's plugged in via USB-C.

I hope Leica addresses this in a future firmware upgrade.

Alternatively, does anyone have experience with the Multifunction handgrip? Does it support hot-swapping batteries similarly to the Panasonic S series cameras?

On 8/15/2020 at 2:24 AM, scott kirkpatrick said:

Each shot takes a certain amount of energy, and energy is measured in watt-hours.  Watts, a unit of power,  are the product of volts  times amps .Energy is he product of power and  the time for which the power is applied.  Since most Li Ion batteries work at 7 to 8 volts, you will see them specified in just amp-hours, with the voltage understood to be 8 volts. Fancy batteries can supply 5 volts, 9 volts and even 15 volts, so they are specified in Watt-hours.  So the best characterization of the SL2 shots is that each takes 40 mWatt-hrs.

This is only an approximate value though.
The voltage of a LiB is not constant over the state of discharge.

The manufacturer specified capacity is nominal, meaning in reality you never get the full capacity that is printed on the package of your power bank. The capacity changes over time (you can recharge a LiB only limited amount of times). The actual capacity depends on temperature, how much current you draw when discharging, how you charge the battery, the internal design and chemistry is the battery cells and many other factors.

To get an accurate reading of the power consumption of the SL2 you need to measure the voltage and current that flows into the camera.

4 hours ago, laowai_ said:

To get an accurate reading of the power consumption of the SL2 you need to measure the voltage and current that flows into the camera.

My little $15 meter gives both voltage and current.  Voltage seems to be constant,  in the applications I have looked at.

• 5 weeks later...

I had a bit of an epiphany the other evening and while this may initially seem off-topic, stay with me for a sec. I have experienced unavoidable and severe battery drain with my SL2 when using for 4k60p video, and far less severe when using for photography, but the fact remains, it is there and it negates (to a lesser extent) the use of power banks over an extended period of time.

But...

And here is where I go just a tad off topic, I had a similar experience when using a GoPro Hero 8 for an extended live stream where it too suffered from battery drain to the point that it shut off despite being connected to USB-C.

However...

Once I removed the GoPro's battery and plugged it into mains power via USB-C, there were no issues with power delivery and the camera ran for what seemed like an eternity. In other words, if the GoPro had a battery inserted, its brain assumed that the battery was what was providing power, in a fashion similar to the SL2, although in the SL2's case, it needs the battery to complete the camera's circuit.

So...

It would seem that all that needs to happen in order for an SL2 to be powered effectively over USB-C would be a dummy unit inserted in to the battery compartment that completes the camera's circuit, thereby eliminating the need for the battery, and tricking (or making a prevailing argument to...) the camera that it has sufficient power to run, without a battery installed.

I'm no electrical engineer, but if there is one in this forum who can jerry rig something like this to give it a shot, and it works, I will be your first supporter on kickstarter, or indigogo or whatever.

15 hours ago, cba20k said:

I had a bit of an epiphany the other evening and while this may initially seem off-topic, stay with me for a sec. I have experienced unavoidable and severe battery drain with my SL2 when using for 4k60p video, and far less severe when using for photography, but the fact remains, it is there and it negates (to a lesser extent) the use of power banks over an extended period of time.

But...

And here is where I go just a tad off topic, I had a similar experience when using a GoPro Hero 8 for an extended live stream where it too suffered from battery drain to the point that it shut off despite being connected to USB-C.

However...

Once I removed the GoPro's battery and plugged it into mains power via USB-C, there were no issues with power delivery and the camera ran for what seemed like an eternity. In other words, if the GoPro had a battery inserted, its brain assumed that the battery was what was providing power, in a fashion similar to the SL2, although in the SL2's case, it needs the battery to complete the camera's circuit.

So...

It would seem that all that needs to happen in order for an SL2 to be powered effectively over USB-C would be a dummy unit inserted in to the battery compartment that completes the camera's circuit, thereby eliminating the need for the battery, and tricking (or making a prevailing argument to...) the camera that it has sufficient power to run, without a battery installed.

I'm no electrical engineer, but if there is one in this forum who can jerry rig something like this to give it a shot, and it works, I will be your first supporter on kickstarter, or indigogo or whatever.

I want a dummy battery for studio video shoot too

13 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Alternatively, a dummy powered battery i.e. a battery shell that connects to the external power source. No need for USB-C at all. The Sigma fp works this way, as do some other cameras I believe.

I did consider this, but the ubiquity of USB-C power banks small and large would mean that a dummy battery (vs a whole assembly that plugs into a wall outlet (like other manufacturers and accessory makers offer for other camera brands) might be more efficient. Also, since the floor of the SL2's battery is flush with the bottom of the camera, there would be no way to rest the camera if a cable were coming out the bottom, vs the side as that is where the USB-C port is.

• Like 2

The SL2 works perfectly with USB C (or more precise USB PD) for me. No need for a dummy battery, but for the SL it would really be useful. But in all the years since 2005 nobody has ever produced one. So I am not optimistic it will come now.

Edited by caissa

57 minutes ago, caissa said:

The SL2 works perfectly with USB C (or more precise USB PD) for me. No need for a dummy battery, but for the SL it would really be useful. But in all the years since 2005 nobody has ever produced one. So I am not optimistic it will come now.

One benefit that accrues from using a dummy battery in the Sigma fp is that the USB-C port is used to record direct to external memory - a Samsung 2Tb SSD in my case. With external power, no 30 min recording limit, and large recording capacity, you don't have to worry about running out of power or space.

15 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

One benefit that accrues from using a dummy battery in the Sigma fp is that the USB-C port is used to record direct to external memory - a Samsung 2Tb SSD in my case. With external power, no 30 min recording limit, and large recording capacity, you don't have to worry about running out of power or space.

I wonder if a USB-C hub or switch could be used to achieve the same in the USB PD world ? The hub would need to support both 1Gbit of data and PD power delivery at the same time. A single cable does that e.g. when connected to a PC with some PCs). I have never looked for such a hub or switch, but I expect sooner or later such a device will be available.

I have seen 5 port power source devices, but I don’t know if they only provide power or can also provide data hub/switch functionality simultaneously.

• 3 weeks later...

Been researching the battery issue with the SL2 for some time now. I bought a power bank (omnicharge) works great to power both eh SL2 and my sound devices Mix Pre 3. Although, the Mix Pre will power with the USB C to USB C cable the SL2 has an error message and won't recognise USB C or PD type power banks. Anyone had this issue? It WILL however, power fine with a standard USB A port to USB C cable start into the USB - C. 

Definitely  going to get the lock circle eventually (have to sell some gear first!) to mount batteris/powerbanks monitors and I welcome Marcello's posts which have convinced me I made the right decision trading my Canon C100 for the SL2 - the video files are gorgeous especially in cinema 4k - as good as a high end Red or Arri to my eye!

Am I right Marcello the the V Mount on the lock circle will take the Anton BauerTiton Micro batteries? I've written to Anton Bauer to ask. 

End of October the Titon BASE is out which may be the solution to clamping battery to the bottom of the SL2 for those of us (like me) who won't initially have the rod plates and useful for run and gun documentary work. 

https://www.antonbauer.com/en/products/titon-base/

• Like 2

As Power Delivery (PD) can be fickle between devices and cables, I can confirm the OmniCharge Mobile 12800 does not power the SL2 (insufficient power message on camera).  The RAVPower PD 20000 does power the SL2 and can be found for ~$50 USD.  In fact, I have yet to find a PD device I own that the RAVPower is not compatible with.  Also the Anker PowerCore 25600 is very good at compatibility but bigger, heavier and costs more than the RAVPower.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1