M9 Production numbers

J.Nordvik

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I seem to remember reading somewhere that at the end of M9 production they were producing 80 M9 each day. Can anyone confirm this number?

Germany and Portugal have probably 47-48 working weeks, so that will make about 19000 M9 a year. That is more than the entire 70's production of M's.

I have a feeling that they miscalculated the popularity of M240 based upon the numbers of M9. Why else are the still selling M240?

The March issue of Black+White Photography magazine was delivered today. It has a whole page advert from a Dealer in second hand cameras for the M9 naming it "Iconic" with the strap line "You can't buy iconic new". Discuss!😀

Edited by pedaes

It must be said, there are not floods of M240 videos on Youtube, etc. In fact, except for the early Leica promos and maybe one or two from users I don't think I have seen any.

How is the M240 more advanced than then M10??

It always struck me as odd that the M240 was not called the M10 and even more so when the real M10 was released. It seems that the M240 was a sideline from the M series. A failed experiment.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ianman said:

Yes I'm puzzled by this too...

5 hours ago, ianman said:

It always struck me as odd that the M240 was not called the M10 and even more so when the real M10 was released. It seems that the M240 was a sideline from the M series. A failed experiment.

I had come across an interview where Leica explained the story behind the odd naming of the M (Typ 240). Thought I had it bookmarked, but after some frustrated searching found it plus an additional one:

Interview with Leica Director and manager about Leica M10 by Enche Tjin from infofotografi.com

THE LEICA M10: A DISCUSSION WITH STEFAN DANIEL AND JESKO VON OEYNHAUSEN by David Farkas from reddotforum.com

They tried what Porsche did with the 911 codenames i.e. 996, 997, 991, 992 etc but it didn't work and people just started calling it M240. They didn't like that and went back to M# 😂

Edited by a5m

Advertisement (gone after registration)

M-E 240 was last from M240 and it is now discontinued. Just like M-E 220 was last in M9 series. Mine is from second half of 2015.

Popularity and luxury car is something I do not connect with photography.  To me Leica M is RF camera, RF I'm confident with since I was kid.

I like my M-E, M9 sensor for its unique rendering at low ISO, but the only reason I got M-E 220 was the price. For my photography needs I would be better with M240 series, not with M10.  I can't see M240 to be as wrong as M5, which is still nothing wrong, except VF/RF window been to far from the camera edge. M240 just slightly "deeper" M with unbeatable battery capacity.

For photog like me large battery and weather sealing is improvement. Porsche is for statement, M240 is rugged M for photography. :)

Edited by Ko.Fe.

11 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Popularity and luxury car is something I do not connect with photography.  To me Leica M is RF camera, RF I'm confident with since I was kid.

11 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

For photog like me large battery and weather sealing is improvement. Porsche is for statement, M240 is rugged M for photography. :)

You seem to have completely missed the point of me mentioning Porsche in my post lol

BTW Porsche isn't "for statement". That's like saying Leica is "for statement".

Edited by a5m
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ko.Fe. said:

M-E 240 was last from M240 and it is now discontinued. Just like M-E 220 was last in M9 series. Mine is from second half of 2015.

I like my M-E, M9 sensor for its unique rendering at low ISO, but the only reason I got M-E 220 was the price. For my photography needs I would be better with M240 series, not with M10.  I can't see M240 to be as wrong as M5, which is still nothing wrong, except VF/RF window been to far from the camera edge. M240 just slightly "deeper" M with unbeatable battery capacity.

Hello Ko.Fe.,

Since the parameters for the placement of the range/viewfinder were set when they were determined for the M3: I guess you would actually have to write that "the edge of the M5 body was placed too far from the range/viewfinder of the M5."

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

Regarding the original question on production numbers, there are some estimates here:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/M9#Leica_M9_Serial_Numbers

I think that one of Leica's first goals regarding a digital M was to make a full-frame version resembling a film M (but with an lcd, which probably was thought to be mandatory in any digital camera). The result was the M9, which seems to have sold pretty well. After that they started experimenting with monochrom, live view (CMOS sensor), evf, video, no lcd at all, traditional M form factor (M10), touch screen, highres sensor... 

On 2/8/2020 at 7:14 AM, ianman said:

The good thing is that we, the proud owners of M9 cameras are only 1-tier behind the latest and greatest M10... M 240 and M 262 are a "lowly" side line 😂

I wonder if the M240 family does have more success than M9 family.

Sidenote one : when M10 releasing in 2017, so many M240s (family) were on the second hand market ...

Sidenote two : if the M(typ 240) was called M10, so would follow M10-P, M(typ 262) would be called M10-2 or M10-P, M-D(typ 262) would be called M10-D,

M(typ 246) would be M10 Monochrom = so the same as real M10 lineage 😇

Fascinating Leica M namings ...

🙃 now we have rumoured M10-R , the last Mx-R was the M2-R so long time ago ...

On 2/8/2020 at 1:49 PM, J.Nordvik said:

Who want to watch those M240 videos? Watching homemade videos is as interesting as watching a slide show. An M is a still camera.

You mean that horrible amateur stuff shot on an M240?

Like this one?

Once again, it is not about the gear, it is about the video maker and his choice of tools to produce his vision.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 2/8/2020 at 11:49 PM, J.Nordvik said:

Who want to watch those M240 videos? Watching homemade videos is as interesting as watching a slide show. An M is a still camera.

What M240 videos are you talking about? Depends on who is making the video. There aren't many M240 videos around, but a number of professionals use M glass on full frame cameras like the Sony A7S II, Panasonic S1H and Leica SL for video production. M240 videos would have very little difference in image quality, apart from the framerates. Look at what Philip White is able to do with a Leica SL, Voigtlander 75/1.8 and a fast 35.

• Thanks 1

On 2/8/2020 at 1:14 PM, ianman said:

Because it has a few more things and features.. video (of which few care), a horizontal level (which is only on the M10P), the ability to shoot tethered with the multifunction grip, and IIRC (...) the option to shoot uncompressed DNG

Does this make the 240 a better choice over the M10 with the improved high ISO, option of a (2016 era spec) EVF and generally perceived to be superior colour palette? 

Perhaps not (unless one desperately wants those features in an M, in which case ONLY the 240/P offer them)

But more features tends to be synonymous with “more advanced”

• Thanks 1