Nikon to L Adaptor

Scottjon

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am looking for a Nikon F/G mount adaptor to L mount.  There are a lot of $20-30. Models and $125 up models on the market, but very few reviews 

I left Nikon for Leica because the newer lenses seem to be not as sharp as they were years ago.  However, i do have some amazing lenses from a few years ago that i kept when i sold not D5’s.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a really good quality adaptor ? 

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, sboyle92 said:

I bought the Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter for like $25 to use my older manual focus Nikon lenses on my M240. It works perfectly. The fit is snug and secure. And, as there are obviously no optics involved, all that matters is the fit. 

that helps, it is inexpensive enough to give it a try, I have some seriously sharp lenses I want to utilize

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2020 at 11:52 PM, Scottjon said:

I am looking for a Nikon F/G mount adaptor to L mount.  There are a lot of $20-30. Models and $125 up models on the market, but very few reviews 

I left Nikon for Leica because the newer lenses seem to be not as sharp as they were years ago.  However, i do have some amazing lenses from a few years ago that i kept when i sold not D5’s.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a really good quality adaptor ? 

Here is my Novoflex adapter on a 1960's 7.5mm F5.6 Fisheye...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 2/28/2020 at 9:41 PM, Donzo98 said:

Here is my Novoflex adapter on a 1960's 7.5mm F5.6 Fisheye...

I have the same Novoflex Nikon G adaptor.  It works great with my 14-24, 105 Micro and 80-200 Nikkors and others.  The fit is good on both ends with no play.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2020 at 4:37 AM, Mick H said:

I have the same Novoflex Nikon G adaptor.  It works great with my 14-24, 105 Micro and 80-200 Nikkors and others.  The fit is good on both ends with no play.  

Does it autofocus with 14-24? I have one I haven’t sold and was thinking of adapting it to the S1r. Is there a link for this adapter?

16 hours ago, sanadsaad said:

Does it autofocus with 14-24? I have one I haven’t sold and was thinking of adapting it to the S1r. Is there a link for this adapter?

It does not autofocus the 14-24 G Nikkor lens.  It only allows manual aperture control via the blue anodized ring.  There is an AF Novoflex L mount  to Nikon F adapter.  I have that adapter and it will only autofocus Nikkor E lenses and only in AFS and Not AFC on my SL.  I tried this AF adapter on my S1H and it will not allow any autofocus.  The S1H prompts me to turn on manual focus when I install this Novoflex AF adapter.

I broke down and ordered the autofocus novaflex Nikon to L adapter the other day from B&H in order to control the aperture on my Nikon 19mm T/S on my S1R. I received a refund and note yesterday that the adapter has been discontinued.

https://www.novoflex.de/en/products-637/lens-adapters//adapterfinder-products/camera/leica-sl-t-tl-tl2-cl-mirrorless/objectiv/38.html

Above is a link to the Novoflex Nikon G adapter and the Nikon E autofocus adapters.  The Nikon G adaptor is correct for the 14-24 G Nikkor and has aperture control as the lens does not have a manual aperture ring.  I use this combination on my SL and S1H.  Note that the S1H IBIS will need correct focal length input.  I assign 14mm as I shoot ultrawide with it mostly.  The S1H will allow a lens description to be inputted and it will show up in file metadata.  Note that if you have IBIS turned on for multiple adapted lenses, you must have the correct focal length selected for correct IBIS functionality.  The S1H prompts me each time I install an adapted lens as it only remembers the last installed lens/adapter combo.  I used the 14-24 once with a 80-200 IBIS profile accidentally and the results were blurry.

9 minutes ago, rpittal said:

I broke down and ordered the autofocus novaflex Nikon to L adapter the other day from B&H in order to control the aperture on my Nikon 19mm T/S on my S1R. I received a refund and note yesterday that the adapter has been discontinued.

I use the AF Novoflex with a Nikon mount Sigma 105 1.4 Art.  I am planning on converting the Sigma to L mount for full functionality on SL and S1H.  If I want to add the stellar 19 T/S Nikkor later, I will need to keep the adapter for aperture control.  

• 3 months later...

I use the mc21 and a nikon G to canon adapter with chip so i get some exif data unfortunately always 50mm. I have ordered another with the dandelion chip so  I can set different focal lengths. I get wonderful results from a nikkor 35 f2 manual focused with the double adapter 

• 3 weeks later...

Is the Novoflex v Fotodiox battle resolved, yet, for Nikon G to L-mount adapters?  I uses that it’s a matter of who has the better engineering?What about the Metabones https://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_NFG-L-BM1 ? They also seems to have been in the business for some time and they claim that you can select precise aperture. 

Edited by jrp

• 1 year later...
On 3/15/2020 at 1:36 AM, Mick H said:

I use the AF Novoflex with a Nikon mount Sigma 105 1.4 Art.  I am planning on converting the Sigma to L mount for full functionality on SL and S1H.  If I want to add the stellar 19 T/S Nikkor later, I will need to keep the adapter for aperture control.  

On 3/15/2020 at 1:26 AM, Mick H said:

https://www.novoflex.de/en/products-637/lens-adapters//adapterfinder-products/camera/leica-sl-t-tl-tl2-cl-mirrorless/objectiv/38.html

Above is a link to the Novoflex Nikon G adapter and the Nikon E autofocus adapters.  The Nikon G adaptor is correct for the 14-24 G Nikkor and has aperture control as the lens does not have a manual aperture ring.  I use this combination on my SL and S1H.  Note that the S1H IBIS will need correct focal length input.  I assign 14mm as I shoot ultrawide with it mostly.  The S1H will allow a lens description to be inputted and it will show up in file metadata.  Note that if you have IBIS turned on for multiple adapted lenses, you must have the correct focal length selected for correct IBIS functionality.  The S1H prompts me each time I install an adapted lens as it only remembers the last installed lens/adapter combo.  I used the 14-24 once with a 80-200 IBIS profile accidentally and the results were blurry.

Hi,

Sorry to necro old threads, but i'm keen on the Novoflex Nikon AF to L mount for my Panasonic S5; I'm using a Sigma (Nikon Mount) 28-300mm Aspherical IF for a quick & easy/run & gun for video work (I shoot live events, so similar results to using a B4 lens but more compact).

I'm wondering if the Novoflex AF adapter with electronic contacts is the only way to communicate information/metadata to the camera? I couldn't find any other options on the market that do this, i'm also not too bothered about AF, but the KEY factor to whether I buy or not, is if it communicates focal length for IBIS purposes, as i currently have to reset IBIS focal length manually while I shoot - which is tedious haha!

You mentioned on the S1H that you still had to set correct focal length - is this every time you changed/zoomed focal length, or do you set an initial focal length, and then the adapter communicates any adjustments? It's a fair chunk of change, and would rather not buy something that isn't going to achieve what I need.

Thanks so much,

Chris from Cambridge!

On 9/16/2021 at 4:46 AM, Coda Sessions said:

Hi,

Sorry to necro old threads, but i'm keen on the Novoflex Nikon AF to L mount for my Panasonic S5; I'm using a Sigma (Nikon Mount) 28-300mm Aspherical IF for a quick & easy/run & gun for video work (I shoot live events, so similar results to using a B4 lens but more compact).

I'm wondering if the Novoflex AF adapter with electronic contacts is the only way to communicate information/metadata to the camera? I couldn't find any other options on the market that do this, i'm also not too bothered about AF, but the KEY factor to whether I buy or not, is if it communicates focal length for IBIS purposes, as i currently have to reset IBIS focal length manually while I shoot - which is tedious haha!

You mentioned on the S1H that you still had to set correct focal length - is this every time you changed/zoomed focal length, or do you set an initial focal length, and then the adapter communicates any adjustments? It's a fair chunk of change, and would rather not buy something that isn't going to achieve what I need.

Thanks so much,

Chris from Cambridge!

Hi,

No worries.  I am glad to share info if it is useful to you. 

Novoflex AF Nikon E to L Adaptor

To clarify, I use the Novoflex AF Nikon E to L adaptor with my S1H and Sigma 105 1.4 Art Nikon E lens.  When doing so the S1H prompts to shift lens to MF mode (AF/MF switch on side of lens).  AF is not allowed on S1H.  The aperture is selectable via the camera thumbwheel.  There is no aperture ring on the Sigma Nikon E lens as you probably know.  Aperture and focal length is communicated to the S1H and is shown in image file metadata.  This is what is shown in Lightroom:  "106mm (Nikon Lens Adaptor for Leica SL)".  Note 106mm instead of 105.  The S1H automatically sets the IBIS as it can read the focal length through the adaptor.  I do not have a Nikon E zoom lens to qualify IBIS operation.  Manual focus is easy with the S1H and Sigma 105 1.4 Art and Novofllex AF adapter combo.  The lens resolves beautifully wide open and the focus ring is smooth.  

Novoflex Nikon G to L Adaptor

When using a Nikon G lens, like my 14-24 2.8 Nikkor, I will use the Novoflex Nikon G to L adaptor (no AF).  The adaptor has an aperture ring (blue color) for G lenses as there is no way to adjust aperture otherwise.  This non-AF adaptor will mount older Nikon F mount lenses so it is very useful.  This adaptor has no electronic coupling.  So you have to enter focal length to engage IBIS correctly.  Be very careful to input correct focal length data.  If you use an incorrect focal length, like 200mm telephoto when a 14mm wide angle is mounted, the images will be blurry.  This happened to me.  You will get a prompt from the S1H, in the EVF, when you mount an adapted lens (non-AF adaptor) for focal length selection.  You will get that prompt every time you turn off and on the camera if the adapted lens is mounted.  Pay close attention to this if you are using more than one adapted lens in a fast shooting environment.  No lens aperture data is transmitted to the image file but focal length is shown (user selected IBIS setting) and lens description is shown per your input on the S1H (I assume your Panasonic L mount camera will be similar).  My inputted focal length data shows as "14mm (14-24 Nikkor)" in Lightroom.  I tend to use that lens at the widest 14mm setting.  If I use that lens with IBIS at 24mm, I would add another focal length IBIS setting in the S1H for best results.  Otherwise I use my SL 24-90 most of the time and this lens is fully compatible with the S1H.  Note that Sigma SL mount lenses are not fully compatible with the S1H, like the 35mm 1.2 DG DN.  But that's another discussion.

This is my direct experience.  I hope this helps.

• Thanks 1