CL Firmware 3.2

re: "Firmware version for Leica L-Adapters is shown in camera menu."

The S Adapter L, M Adapter L, and R Adapter L are the Leica L-Adapters that have logic in them at the present time. Now a menu appears, MENU > Camera Information > Adapter Firmware Version on the last page of the MENU options which enables you to see the current firmware version of an adapter if one is present. My M Adapter T (old enough that it was before the name change to M Adapter L) lists as being version 1.0. There is a menu choice, dimmed at present, for starting an update so presumably the mechanism of this menu has been made sufficiently versatile that Leica can now issue firmware updates for the adapters, if one is ever needed. 

Whether this enables non-Leica L-Adapters to list their firmware revision, and/or be able to update them, remains to be seen. It seems likely, given the implications of the L-Mount alliance, but is not necessarily true. 

G

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I saved profiles when asked during the update, but when I went to restore them after powering off and then on again, I found only the default profile, which put me back into JPG+DNG, and set a whole bunch of other things different from my previous settings.  That was MY BAD!  If you want your settings to survive a firmware upgrade, you must first save them as a defined user profile.  Yes, in this case, I am back in the lowest number folder but with a file number that continues after the other stuff in that folder.  This is not the same as one after the latest file shot.

3 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

Yes, in this case, I am back in the lowest number folder but with a file number that continues after the other stuff in that folder.  This is not the same as one after the latest file shot.

I still struggle to understand why in the world Leica does not find a solution to this little yet obnoxious problem (i.e it does not happen on my Ricoh GRIII) 🤔😡

Advertisement (gone after registration)

21 hours ago, ramarren said:

I chose to save profiles. But ... At the end of the update process, it said to restart the camera. I know no other way of restarting the camera other than to turn it off and turn it back on again, so I did. I checked the User Profile setting and it was clear, but my Favorites were all properly listed. I used MENU > USER PROFILE > MANAGE PROFILES > IMPORT PROFILES to reimport my user profile settings from the card. 

The statement "The camera will guide you through the backup process of your personal settings." in the update instruction sheet seemed to imply that the FW update would do something other than just ask me if I wanted to save my settings. It didn't. But my settings installed from the Import Profiles function worked as desired. 

I don't know whether this has anything to do with maintaining the file numbering sequence. :)

G

I lost all of my profiles, but then again nothing unusual about that as I always do whenever i have to update my CL's firmware, must be something I am doing wrong??

4 minutes ago, Don Morley said:

I lost all of my profiles, but then again nothing unusual about that as I always do whenever i have to update my CL's firmware, must be something I am doing wrong??

I saved my profiles (as prompted during the firmware update) but my files sequential numbering was reset

2 hours ago, Don Morley said:

It is good practice to always use the MENU > USER PROFILES > MANAGE PROFILE > EXPORT PROFILES command before doing any firmware update. That writes a copy of all your profile settings to the SD card in a file.

After you complete the firmware update, you can restore all of your profiles by using the complement MENU > USER PROFILES > MANAGE PROFILES > IMPORT PROFILES command. This reinstantiates all the profiles that you had saved with the EXPORT PROFILES command into the camera's non-volatile memory.

When I'm doing a firmware update, I use the additional caution of using a separate SD card ... one which I've just formatted and therefore has nothing on it ... to load the update installer file and do the update. I don't make any exposures on that card at all. After the update is completed, I replace that card with my usual card and then do my testing, after I've checked that my profiles have been reinstantiated. Perhaps this is why my file numbering remains consistent—I don't know for sure, but it's a decent conjecture. :)

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Gregm61 said:

Fortunately, resetting "everything" on a CL, isn't quite as daunting as resetting everything on an Olympus E-M1 Mark II, LOL....

For my Olympus E-M1, I keep a cheat sheet updated so I can walk through all 193 possible configuration settings and get them set to my usual defaults in about ten minutes... :)

I wish that Olympus would implement the Export/Import settings commands!

Edited by ramarren

vor 1 Stunde schrieb serhan:

I updated the firmware and checked with the Sigma 21 EF-L adapter. It is not working. It says the firmware needs to be updated.

I tried the Sigma as well as the Novoflex one . Both are not working - it is a shame. I find the new firware pretty useless and see no real improvements for me. And that app. one year later to the prior  firmware 3.1. Thank you Leica  very much for this gift.

Edited by HeinzX
  • Thanks 1

I don't see much immediate benefit from this fw update either, but perhaps it is just preparatory work for things to come. I see no point to being negative about it ... Nothing has broken, and if the code in the camera is working better or ready for some new stuff in ways that aren't immediately apparent, why dis it? 

As I said in this or another thread earlier, I didn't/don't see much need for anything new on the CL just as it is. But you never know when an update will prove a plus a little ways down the line... 

G

On 2/8/2020 at 1:06 PM, ramarren said:

I chose to save profiles. But ... At the end of the update process, it said to restart the camera. I know no other way of restarting the camera other than to turn it off and turn it back on again, so I did. I checked the User Profile setting and it was clear, but my Favorites were all properly listed. I used MENU > USER PROFILE > MANAGE PROFILES > IMPORT PROFILES to reimport my user profile settings from the card. 

The statement "The camera will guide you through the backup process of your personal settings." in the update instruction sheet seemed to imply that the FW update would do something other than just ask me if I wanted to save my settings. It didn't. But my settings installed from the Import Profiles function worked as desired. 

I don't know whether this has anything to do with maintaining the file numbering sequence. :)

G

Same here; I had to go to user profile to import my profile. The camera did not ask me for it.

For numbering continuity, this is a pain in the neck like for focus wandering that they are not fixing despite so many complains! I do the number continuity by hand.

User profiles are saved into a file called "settings.lcs" of the SD card. Suffice it to copy that file on the hard disk of your computer or elsewhere to retrieve it if you lose it during a firmware update. As for pic files numbering, there is probably a simpler way but here is mine FWIW.
Assuming the last pic file is 1030746.
Remove the card having that file on it and insert a blank card instead.
Main menu 4 > Reset Image numbering > Yes. Then take one pic and the camera will create a 1000001 file.
Redo the process three times until the camera creates a 1030001 file. 
Now switch your camera off, remove the blank card, insert your original card, switch the camera on and the numbering should follow 1030746 exactly. 

Edited by lct
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, lct said:

User profiles are saved into a file called "settings.lcs" of the SD card. Suffice it to copy that file on the hard disk of your computer or elsewhere to retrieve it if you lose it during a firmware update. As for pic files numbering, there is probably a simpler way but here is mine FWIW.
Assuming the last pic file is 1030746.
Remove the card having that file on it and insert a blank card instead.
Main menu 4 > Reset Image numbering > Yes. Then take one pic and the camera will create a 1000001 file.
Redo the process three times until the camera creates a 1030001 file. 
Now switch your camera off, remove the blank card, insert your original card, switch the camera on and the numbering should follow 1030746 exactly. 

This is how I have been doing for numbering.

It is also very simple to get your profiling back when you import it from my profile.

There is always a way to find a simple solution; but I still hope they would correct for the focus wandering problem.! ;)

On 2/9/2020 at 4:04 PM, HeinzX said:

I tried the Sigma as well as the Novoflex one . Both are not working - it is a shame. I find the new firware pretty useless and see no real improvements for me. And that app. one year later to the prior  firmware 3.1. Thank you Leica  very much for this gift.

It is because the adapter doesn't have electronic connection with the camera. I am also using Novoflex for my Nikkor lenses, but I don't know about Sigma.

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Louis:

It is because the adapter doesn't have electronic connection with the camera. I am also using Novoflex for my Nikkor lenses, but I don't know about Sigma.

Both  - the Novoflex and the Sigma do work with the SL 2 , AF and aperture control through the camera included. The Novoflex did the same with the SL with all firmwares- the Sigma did it with firmware 3.4 not more with 3,5.  Concerning 3.6 and 3.7 I do not know, because I have sold the SL and bought a SL 2. The Novoflex for the EF Canon lenses seems to be quite a different construction compared to the Novoflex for the Nikon lenses. With the SL and SL 2 exists an  electronic connection exists  - but only with EF lenses.  And on the CL two different massages appear. With the Novflex: This adapter is not supported - with the Sigma an update is requested, which does not exist. For me the problem with the adapters and the Canon EF lenses seems to be a problem of the firmware rather that one of the adapters. Some monthes ago I tried to get a answer from Leica - at this time the answer was, that the adapters are not part of the L Alliance. In the meanwhile the problem is solved for me concerning the SL 2 because both work together with this camera, but not concerning the CL. I have the L 60 Macro, which I can use with this camera, but it would be fine, if I could use my Canon EF Macro lenses too, which have higher focal lengths.

• Like 1