CL Firmware 3.2

5 hours ago, AeroMirage said:

I upgraded mine with no issues. No huge changes seen yet.

But, tomorrow I go out to test out a newly acquired APO-MACRO-ELMARIT-TL 60 f/2.8 and a SUMMICRON-TL 23 f/2 ASPH.

Whoo Hoo!  Sounds like fun.  Do show us the results!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I see no reason to update - my firm rule for any electronic device: don't update, unless the update is an improvement for one's specific use.

Now if they had a complete solution for the WFP (wandering focus point) I would be the first in line. This looks like they hired new software developer and gave him a small project to test his skills.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, AeroMirage said:

I upgraded mine with no issues. No huge changes seen yet.

But, tomorrow I go out to test out a newly acquired APO-MACRO-ELMARIT-TL 60 f/2.8 and a SUMMICRON-TL 23 f/2 ASPH.

+1  

Just received my APO 60mm Macro Elmarit TL (for the CL) this morning.  It's been belting down here with much needed rain (thankfully) for the past 18 hours,  so it may be a day or 2 before I can get out with the lens. Initial indoor shots look promising.  

Edited by michali

2 hours ago, Boojay said:

Anyone know what this part is about - (of course I live in hope of MC-21 working with the CL).

Firmware version for Leica L-Adapters is shown in camera menu.

Yes, I read somewhere that it's speculated to be bringing the CL in line with the SL2 on that. If so, Canon teles here we come!  Hope someone does know....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, bags27 said:

Yes, I read somewhere that it's speculated to be bringing the CL in line with the SL2 on that. If so, Canon teles here we come!  Hope someone does know....

Oh wow, you have no idea how happy that would make me, it is mostly what I use the S1 for.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jaapv said:

I see no reason to update - my firm rule for any electronic device: don't update, unless the update is an improvement for one's specific use.

Now if they had a complete solution for the WFP (wandering focus point) I would be the first in line. This looks like they hired new software developer and gave him a small project to test his skills.

My firm rule for any electronic device is to keep up with the manufacturers' improvements in firmware, whatever they might be, as long as the updates do not include regressions or compromises in functionality.This has always meant fewer issues in the long term for me and my equipment.

I don't participate in the disappointment and cynicism meme. Even a modest firmware update is a lot of work by a skilled team of engineering, testing, and distribution personnel who are always trying to do their best for the user community; why dis their efforts? Besides that, I'm perfectly happy with the feature set and use of the CL just as it is: all of these detail improvements I see suggest future things that I might take advantage of at another time.  :D 

Update done: camera working just fine... 

G

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, erudolph said:

Any change in the file renumbering, i.e., can you pick up the file numbering from your previous latest file?

When I tested the update, I made three exposures. They were added to the existing sequence of files on the card in the same folder. 

The screen shot shows the current folder view on the card as mounted on my Mac mini. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Exposure L1000467.DNG, imported into LR Classic, output to 1600 pixels on the long axis in JPEG 75 quality, no other edits. 

Leica CL + Summilux 35mm f/1.4 (ca 1972 version), ISO 3200 @ f/2.8 @ 1/15 sec @ minimum focus distance; 12s self timer, Aperture priority mode, +0.66 EV. 

G

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AeroMirage said:

On mine, the file numbering reset, but I did not choose to save profiles when updating.

I chose to save profiles. But ... At the end of the update process, it said to restart the camera. I know no other way of restarting the camera other than to turn it off and turn it back on again, so I did. I checked the User Profile setting and it was clear, but my Favorites were all properly listed. I used MENU > USER PROFILE > MANAGE PROFILES > IMPORT PROFILES to reimport my user profile settings from the card. 

The statement "The camera will guide you through the backup process of your personal settings." in the update instruction sheet seemed to imply that the FW update would do something other than just ask me if I wanted to save my settings. It didn't. But my settings installed from the Import Profiles function worked as desired. 

I don't know whether this has anything to do with maintaining the file numbering sequence. :)

G

I'm new to the CL (had it one week) and this is my only real complaint so far, the resetting of everything when a firmware update is applied. I've never seen this on another camera brand. The  first update I did was 1.0 to 3.1 and I did not know about profiles then so everything was wiped. From 3.1 to 3.2, I did save the profiles to SD card. Everything was wiped but I did import the profiles from the card and it restored settings. But the file numbering was reset again, which is very annoying. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Sorry, I have no idea whether it's possible or how you would "get back to the previous file numbering sequence". 

Image file numbers created by the camera are, to me, simply arbitrarily assigned identifiers. I don't use them as anything other than identifiers in my image management/processing workflow. 

G