M9 strap order went bad... is this the way to treat customers?

rivi1969

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

A few years ago, Ken Hansen asked me if I would like a hard to get silver chrome 50 Summilux ASPH.  I said yes, and he sent it to me (from NY to NZ) and told me to pay him later ...

Interestingly enough, I was considering buying a Leica M9 as my first digital camera about 9 years ago, which is when I decided I wanted a new hobby. (Yes I know a manual focus rAngefinder is an unusual first step but I loved the look, lol, don’t we all). He sent it to me with no payment to try it out and told me either send it back to him or send him money, whichever I decide and no rush. 

In the US that is VERY VERY rare, especially for consumer purchases. Credit card, identity, and general theft are serious threats in the USA. I’m sure this is well known. 

Ken was a rare (and excellent) bird. RIP. 

7 hours ago, ianman said:

Indeed it does seem very common for German seller to offer that, even to international customers. Within the EU anyway.

Another common payment method is payment upon delivery. Just pay when the parcel shows up and you get your goods.

Wow, even to international customers? I love the US and I hate to paint such a negative picture but this would be exploited heavily.

As for the OP, I think buyer and seller both are at blame, should forgive each other for a lapse of judgement, and continue on appreciating one another.

I've sworn off Leica before and it cost me a SH$T ton of money when I had to buy it all back.

I was quite annoyed at a USA camera dealer, he shall remain unnamed,  who refused my credit card as "it was from outside the USA", and I could not provide an issuing bank - over here it is quite common to deal directly with the CC company. Even when I explained that it was an AMERICAN Express gold card  that he could check with his local Amex,  and that the Netherlands is not Nigeria, he refused to budge. We are not used to such paranoia.

• Thanks 1

On 2/16/2020 at 12:36 PM, Herr Barnack said:

Sorry, wasn't trying to be silly or belligerent or whatever. 

Maybe they do things differently in Germany from what we're accustomed to here in the U.S. 

No Leica dealer I've ever bought from will ship your order until your bank card payment clears, even if it's something low cost like a lens cap...

There are/were a few other trusting US dealers besides Ken, who was a gent.  Back in my film days, I would deal with Jim Kuehl, and he wouldn’t hesitate to send me a new Leica camera or lens before I shipped him my trade item and/or cash. I never met the man, nor did prior business with him. He had no trouble keeping and attracting good customers.  Funny, that.

Jeff

7 hours ago, jaapv said:

I was quite annoyed at a USA camera dealer, he shall remain unnamed,  who refused my credit card as "it was from outside the USA", and I could not provide an issuing bank - over here it is quite common to deal directly with the CC company. Even when I explained that it was an AMERICAN Express gold card  that he could check with his local Amex,  and that the Netherlands is not Nigeria, he refused to budge. We are not used to such paranoia.

Amex were involved in the first discussions at the OECD about online commerce over 20 years ago. It is one of the fora where the US meets the EU and other countries in reasonably friendly surroundings in Paris. I remember chairing a session on online payment systems at the OECD in or around 1997 and the Amex representatives saying to me afterwards that their centre in Brighton in the UK was set up to deal with any online issues. Other international payment systems such as Visa and Master Card are worldwide and Amex needs to be able to compete with those systems. My Visa Business card has been cloned on a number of occasions, but my bank here in Ireland has got in touch with me immediately and issued me with a new card. If my memory serves me correctly, the cards were being used in the US , but had been cloned outside of the US from insecure websites. It is a bit of a 'jungle' out there still over 20 years after online commerce  became a reality.

For what it is worth, I have never had any difficulty using my Irish issued Visa cards in the US either while I was there (even in taxis) or online. I still have a gold Amex card, but I rarely use it. It is a bit of a hangover from my career. I do one or two transactions a year with it and I'm not even sure why I do that. Perhaps it is to justify the fees.

William

• Like 1