Leica Q2 Firmware 2.0

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, robgo2 said:

Firmware installed, but camera did not guide me through backup process of personal settings, though I did select that before starting the backup. I still have the SD card in the camera.  Is there anything that I can do now to recover my settings?

No, unfortunately. 

When the camera asks "save profiles to SD card?" that's what it's asking. If your current settings haven't been set as a user profile, nothing will get saved to the SD card, and therefore there will be nothing to import after the firmware update. 

When you've got the camera set up in a way that you like, I recommend saving those settings as a profile. Go to Menu>User Profiles>Manage Profiles>Save As Profile. After you've done that, you can save the profile to your SD card (this step is optional). To do that, Menu>User Profiles>Manage Profiles>Export Profile. 

Once you export the profile, you can put the sd card into a computer and copy that profile there. Say you update your firmware/reset the camera again in the future, and accidentally say "no" to "Save profiles to SD card?" as you did. No problem. Even if you have a brand new SD card or one that was recently formatted, you could transfer your saved user profile(s) from your computer to an SD card and import them to your Q2. To do that, with the SD card that contains the user profiles inside the camera, you would go to Menu>User Profiles>Manage Profiles>Import Profiles. 

This time around, you'll have to start over. 

1 hour ago, leicameech said:

No, unfortunately. 

When the camera asks "save profiles to SD card?" that's what it's asking. If your current settings haven't been set as a user profile, nothing will get saved to the SD card, and therefore there will be nothing to import after the firmware update. 

When you've got the camera set up in a way that you like, I recommend saving those settings as a profile. Go to Menu>User Profiles>Manage Profiles>Save As Profile. After you've done that, you can save the profile to your SD card (this step is optional). To do that, Menu>User Profiles>Manage Profiles>Export Profile. 

Once you export the profile, you can put the sd card into a computer and copy that profile there. Say you update your firmware/reset the camera again in the future, and accidentally say "no" to "Save profiles to SD card?" as you did. No problem. Even if you have a brand new SD card or one that was recently formatted, you could transfer your saved user profile(s) from your computer to an SD card and import them to your Q2. To do that, with the SD card that contains the user profiles inside the camera, you would go to Menu>User Profiles>Manage Profiles>Import Profiles. 

This time around, you'll have to start over. 

That is exactly my situation. I did not have any profiles saved. Fortunately, I can easily restore my settings, mostly by copying them from my CL. Thanks for the explanation. 

10 hours ago, danielmfrank said:

I do!

And I do think that give the extensive changes, a manual update is in order, at least for the online PDF version.

Agreed.

And why does Leica bother printing manuals ? ... If somebody wants a printed manual, they can print the online  version themselves.

Edited by Learner

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, robgo2 said:

Firmware installed, but camera did not guide me through backup process of personal settings, though I did select that before starting the backup. I still have the SD card in the camera.  Is there anything that I can do now to recover my settings?

Don’t worry, if you said yes when it asked to save profiles. You can then go to profiles menu and select import settings. 
everything will go back to your previous settings. Even if you never create any profile ! 

4 hours ago, robgo2 said:

Is there anything that I can do now to recover my settings?

If, as you say, they're still on the SD card just go to menu number 3 > User Profiles > Manage Profiles > Import Profiles.

Edit: apologies, now seen the subsequent posts and appreciate the profiles were not saved for some reason. I strongly second the advice to create and save user profiles: they're really useful.

Stephen

Edited by Stephen_C

15 hours ago, iRandom said:

I see how the framelines can be useful for anticipating the decisive moment. So, I'd like to see Leica take a novel approach where they zoom to 10-20% less than the crop ratio (kind of like it already is for 35mm crop). That way you can still see enough outside the framelines to anticipate the shot and the area within the framelines is zoomed enough so that you can actually see what is there.

But then you would not know what crop you were at.

It's a no from me.

6 hours ago, Bokeh Street said:

You have to set AF Mode to 'Field' not 'Spot'

Also works in face detect...this has been explained on this same thread earlier...

Long press AF box and see red arrows.  Then the back wheel can be used to change size.

9 hours ago, Chippy_boy said:

But then you would not know what crop you were at.

It's a no from me.

The digital zoom equivalent mm is already shown in the corner of the framelines. An option could easily be implemented - something like Digital Zoom preview: None, Partial, Full. None is what we have today. Partial is my proposal to zoom 10-20% larger FOV than the framelines. Full is zoom without showing any framelines - in this case a new icon could be added to indicate the zoom. The beauty of an EVF style camera is that these sorts of options can easily be implemented in software.

It is all kind of a moot point for me since I shoot DNG only and have moved to SW that doesn't automatically apply the crop from the zoom. 

20 hours ago, Push said:

I’ve tried a few things but I can’t seem to get Selectable AF field size to work. Can someone explain how to use it please?

You must look at the frame from the lcd and touch one second the screen on the af field to select the size. After that the selected af field size will work in the evf too. The camera will record it even after you turned off/on the camera (but it will not remain with the face detection option).

5 hours ago, iRandom said:

The digital zoom equivalent mm is already shown in the corner of the framelines. An option could easily be implemented - something like Digital Zoom preview: None, Partial, Full. None is what we have today. Partial is my proposal to zoom 10-20% larger FOV than the framelines. Full is zoom without showing any framelines - in this case a new icon could be added to indicate the zoom. The beauty of an EVF style camera is that these sorts of options can easily be implemented in software.

It is all kind of a moot point for me since I shoot DNG only and have moved to SW that doesn't automatically apply the crop from the zoom. 

Of course I get all that. FWIW personally I'd rather the crop simply zoomed to full screen, like it does on every other camera manufacturer  known to man.

But a switch would be good - either what we have right now, or full screen zoom. It's the neither one thing nor the other that you propose, which I think is overly complicated.

BTW it bugs me that the zoom (crop) does not adjust the zoom on the SF40 flash like it does with that flash on Olympus, Panasonic etc. The Leica flash has a zoom function to optimise the  flash illumination for different focal lengths and yet the Leica camera doesn't use it. 

It's pretty poor when a manufacturer cannot get two of their own products to work property together.

Worse the Leica flash doesn't support manual zoom selection unless in full manual mode, rendering TTL flash inoperable. I hope this is fixed in subsequent firmware.

Edited by Chippy_boy

7 hours ago, LordCho said:

Has anyone noticed that the crosshair stays on screen when changing to MF?

I use spot focus and the old firmware made the crosshair disappear.bis it a new setting to configure or a bug?

They may have left it on to mark the center of the magnified area for focus assist. That wasn't movable before, I think, and it is now. There are also several options of where it gets put by default.

I haven't tested it yet, so that's just a guess.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb robgo2:

So, I have AF-L engaged, but after pressing and releasing the shutter, focus lock is gone. Am I doing something wrong, or is this feature as pointless as it seems?

You are doing nothing wrong and yes this feature is as pointless as it seems.

It is not the expected back-button focus function many were waiting for.