Leica Q2 Firmware 2.0

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 minute ago, danielmfrank said:

Auto-focus lock. Normally focus is locked by a half press of the shutter button, along with exposure. If you set the crop button to AF-L, pressing it will lock focus until either:

* You press it a second time (i.e, toggle it),

or

* You take a picture.

The focus crosshair or box will turn green when focus is locked, and will stay green until it is unlocked.

Thanks, I like having that option and will probably use it far more than frame lines.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! Just a word to the wise from Leica's update instructions: Whatever you do, don't remove the lens!

I’ve observed that when new cameras are introduced we get a wave of new forum participants. Lots of really good learning and collaboration plus sharing of photos. A small percentage of folks who either are genuinely disappointed and vent as well as a few who just enjoy being argumentative. In the past these folks have not stayed around and the discussions have settled down. The new camera becomes well understood including any idiosyncrasies that are “accepted”. The forum again returns to its typ

With respect, I think this is unduly alarmist. It's clearly your view and very important to you. Bear in mind there are others of us who have benefited significantly from the firmware update with things such as avoiding accidental video and the much better auto exposure/auto focus lock. Stephen

Posted Images

Problems:

1) When you change the AF size to small size or big size and turn off the camera it reverts back to normal size. It should remember your choice. 

2) In face detect mode it should allow you to choose if you want single point when no face is detected OR multi. 

3) There is no option to customise the new menu system. Some real useless buttons on the menu need to go. And an option to completely shut off the menu and just keep favourites. 

This update looks really solid. Curious on the video side, does this mean that we'll have control over aperture and shutter settings? I've used this camera as a C cam on a documentary shoot and it's not bad, having a little more control over video would be awesome to have.

PANIC OVER!!!

Upgraded the firmware just fine, having followed the instructions to the letter.  Turned the camera on and all was well, liking the new menu etc.

And then I tried taking a couple of shots, and OH NO!!!! What's happened??? The focusing is TERRIBLE.  Can hardly lock on to anything, seeking back and forth, just dreadful.  Oh no, what have I done?  Maybe I can do the update again?  Can I roll back to FW 1.1?  Can I reset the camera???  This is terrible.

And then I noticed it was in Macro mode!

Phew!!!!!  All is working just fine. Silly pilot error!

It's been going for at least a few minutes now, it has a full battery... but I was hoping to use the camera in a few hours..

update - it's been 10 minutes now

update - ok it's finished, must have taken 13 minutes or so

Edited by dancook
2 hours ago, danielmfrank said:

Auto-focus lock. Normally focus is locked by a half press of the shutter button, along with exposure. If you set the crop button to AF-L, pressing it will lock focus until either:

* You press it a second time (i.e, toggle it),

or

* You take a picture.

The focus crosshair or box will turn green when focus is locked, and will stay green until it is unlocked.

Are you saying that you can press and release the AF-L button to focus (and hold the focus), but after you take one photo the focus lock is cancelled and the focus responsibility is again relegated to the shutter button? That is not the way it works on the Q.

2 hours ago, adamdewilde said:

Problems:

2) In face detect mode it should allow you to choose if you want single point when no face is detected OR multi. 

Yes please! I can't stand that multi-thing. And face-detect is not reliable enough to use without a quickly-available alternative. 

2 hours ago, jbripley said:

I assume this means that you'll be able to use Touch AF to change the focus point even when you have your eye up to the EVF.

That’s exactly what it means. There is a new setting on the Focus menu to turn it on. (It’s off by default.) You can move the focus point around while looking through the viewfinder, and double tap to return it to center. 

Unfortunately I am a left eye shooter, so my nose moves the focus point around when this option is turned on. So I had to turn it back off. Should be fine for right eye shooters.

I haven’t tested things like tracking and face focus yet, but aside from that, this update seems to check a lot of boxes. No GPS, but I’ve almost given up on that, at this point.

2 hours ago, adamdewilde said:

Problems:

1) When you change the AF size to small size or big size and turn off the camera it reverts back to normal size. It should remember your choice. 

<snip>

My Q2 remembers the AF point size after a power cycle. Are you using a User Profile that overwrites previous settings upon restart?

4 hours ago, acg69 said:

Yes, that’s all nice BUT the two things that should / could have been addressed to make the whole experience more pleasurable were not addressed:

1. AEL - should have the option to use it as a toggle instead of having to press it all the time. That’s how it works on most cameras anyway and for a camera that is not exactly the easiest or most ergonomic in terms of actual handling, it would make a hell of a difference.

2. Digital cropping - instead of having the lines to show the frame limits for 35, 50 and especially 75, the image should be magnified to fill the frame. Again, that is how it works on most cameras and for a reason. When you crop to the max, you have almost no clue as to what you actually shoot. It is MUCH easier to compose without having to see the lines.

Just my 2cents...

Regarding your second point, it is okay the way it is, my 2 cents...

4 hours ago, danielmfrank said:

Does anyone have any idea what this means? I was hoping that it meant I could double tap the back screen in EVF mode to reset the focus point back to center, but that still doesn’t appear to work.

Yes, you can drag the focus point around when looking through the evf and also double tap the screen to bring back to the center. This is an awesome feature, much faster than a joystick.