mechanical ve elec shutter?

My default is the mechanical shutter. I avoid routinely shooting with the electronic shutter do avoid the unwanted distortions it sometimes produces. I change to electronic shutter only when I need to shoot quietly (such as weddings, funerals, golf, audio recording studios, etc.).

Edited by Narsuitus

Hopefully 28mm is quite immune with movement distortion : jelly effect. 
You only have to deal with unpredictable artificial lightings banding, due to certain LED weird refresh rate. 

If you have to use electronic shutter indoor. You have to check your photos as soon as possible. And zoom in to look for banding. 
Otherwise, you’ll have to trash them all. 

Correct, though not just LEDs - it's any source that uses AC power and has limited ballast/buffer e.g. fluorescent tubes and most CF bulbs. Better quality LEDs have built-in ballast - not all of them flicker. I find the easiest way to check is to pick a blank surface illuminated mainly by one light source and shoot it in isolation. Then you get this: Leica SL shot at 1/200s, unprocessed. Fortunately this was for stage rehearsals, and shutter noise was not a problem, unlike in a performance, so I just used the mechanical shutter.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/9/2020 at 11:28 PM, Stevejack said:

Always electronic for me. I'm used to shooting silently on my Sony and the shutter sound really bugs me when shooting street photography.

I haven't run into any issues so far, but I rarely use it indoors under artificial light. 

The sound of the leaf shutter on the Q is inaudible in a typical street environment to anyone but the photographer with their ears next to the camera.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hdmesa said:

The sound of the leaf shutter on the Q is inaudible in a typical street environment to anyone but the photographer with their ears next to the camera.

+1. Given my 68 old years, I really have to concentrate to hear it at all. Very quiet. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, hdmesa said:

You know I just tried it and you're right - virtually silent. There you go, I never even gave it a chance.

The shutter on my M262 is so loud I guess I just set the Q2 to electronic the day I bought it and never thought about it. ,Coming from a Sony A9 I never shoot with mechanical shutter at all.

12 hours ago, nicci78 said:

just try long lens with moving subjects. You will be surprised (in a bad way) by electronic shutter. 

Really? What's the issue here? I came from a Sony A9 with 600mm lenses shooting birds in flight, and the blackout-free electronic shutter with 20fps is the only way to shoot it.

What happens with the Q2 on fast moving subjects?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2020 at 6:11 PM, Stevejack said:

You know I just tried it and you're right - virtually silent. There you go, I never even gave it a chance.

The shutter on my M262 is so loud I guess I just set the Q2 to electronic the day I bought it and never thought about it. ,Coming from a Sony A9 I never shoot with mechanical shutter at all.

Really? What's the issue here? I came from a Sony A9 with 600mm lenses shooting birds in flight, and the blackout-free electronic shutter with 20fps is the only way to shoot it.

What happens with the Q2 on fast moving subjects?

Rolling shutter (wavy/leaning image like you see when you use your phone to photograph a fence or telephone pole out your car window at highway speeds). A9 is unique with a super-fast stacked sensor and doesn't suffer from the same issue.

• Thanks 1

Not only that, a bird will be less prone to show distortion than a telegraph pole, nor will it be moving through the frame at high speed. A good way to see speed distortion is to watch the windscreen wipers on your dashcam; it will have a very slow sensor.

An A9 will do it as well, just start shooting Formula 1 cars at speed instead of birds.

Wide-angles will show the effect too. It is just less bothersome as the relative speed of the subject through the field of view is much lower. See the following images, it was a15 mm (30 equ.). lens.

Here you have an extreme demonstration of the effect: The first was taken with 1/1600 mechanical, the second with 1/12000 electronic. (Panasonic GX8) Yes, the camera focused on the dirt on the window ;)

• Like 1

it´s not only the problem with the Q2- but knowing the problem  helps getting better pics - i had to take pics  for a concert  (Stimmflut- german A-capella - three bands -> Viva Voce, Robeat (Beatboxer(!) + Quintense). As it was acapella i did not want to use the "normal shutter but had to use the electronic shutter and got problems with  the backgrund LED 

By changing the exposure TIME to 1/100sec i got better results.

and some more with the electronic shutter:

If you know the relation between ES and LED you have to try changing the exposure time  and you will get "better " pics (and it also helps not pushing the pics too much, it´s is a good idea too using not the widest useable aperture...)

In conclusion there is no sense in giving a general recommendation- you have to try different settings.

• Like 2

vor 43 Minuten schrieb jaapv:

Not only that, a bird will be less prone to show distortion than a telegraph pole, nor will it be moving through the frame at high speed. A good way to see speed distortion is to watch the windscreen wipers on your dashcam; it will have a very slow sensor.

An A9 will do it as well, just start shooting Formula 1 cars at speed instead of birds.

Wide-angles will show the effect too. It is just less bothersome as the relative speed of the subject through the field of view is much lower. See the following images, it was a15 mm (30 equ.). lens.

Here you have an extreme demonstration of the effect: The first was taken with 1/1600 mechanical, the second with 1/12000 electronic. (Panasonic GX8) Yes, the camera focused on the dirt on the window ;)

Yes, rotating propellers are an ideal subject to show this electronic shutter effect - they appear like scimitars (Ju-52, Iphone photo)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AndreasG said:

Yes, rotating propellers are an ideal subject to show this electronic shutter effect - they appear like scimitars (Ju-52, Iphone photo)

Fascinating discussion. AndreasG I am equally impressed that you flew in a Ju-52!

I continue to be amazed at how unique the leaf shutter is in the Q/Q2. Because it allows syncing flash to 1/2000 of a second I have a lot of flexibility setting exposure for photographing hummingbirds. It is an under appreciated feature that enables stop action of fast moving objects with no rolling shutter. 

Leica Q, 1/2000, f/8, ISO 100, Canon MR-14 EX II Ring Flash. Broad-tailed Hummingbird, male. 

Edited by Leica Guy
  • Like 8