ToddSch

M9 with SF24D TTL display question

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I apologize if this has been answered somewhere before, but I searched the forum (and the web) and cannot seem to find my answer. I purchased a Leica SF24D about a year ago. On arrival, it worked flawlessly in TTL, A, M etc and overall I was pleased.

It has been a few months since I have used the flash and this past weekend when using the unit, it noticed that it exhibited some behavior that I do not recall existing before. When used in TTL (and with 6 bit coded Leica lenses ) I thought I remember that when changing the F-Stop on the lens, the flash would also show the corresponding f-stop with distance on the LCD display on the flash . When using the flash this past weekend, I noticed that when changing the F-Stop on my lens, the flash was fixed on an f-stop, say 2.4. When I changed my lens from 2.4 to 8, the flash remained on 2.4. Overall, the exposure actually looked correct so it appears that that the flash is working. As a test, I adjusted ISO on camera and the ISO did change on flash. I also changed sync speeds in camera, cleaned contacts on lens, replaced batteries in flash etc. I also manually adjusted flash f-stop when in TTL mode (set flash to F8, then lens to 2.4, 5.6, 8 etc) and the exposures continued to look accurate.

Am I just remembering the operation of this flash wrong? I thought the flash f-stop would show the corresponding f-stop on lens when in TTL?

As for A, that is working as expected, same as M.

Thanks for any insights.

The flash cannot know the aperture, as it is not transmitted. There is a guesstimate by comparing light on the external lightmeter with the measurement of the camera but it is not very precise and will only set the approximate level for the (first) preflash.

1 minute ago, jaapv said:

The flash cannot know the aperture, as it is not transmitted. There is a guesstimate by comparing light on the external lightmeter with the measurement of the camera but it is not very precise and will only set the approximate level for the (first) preflash.

Gotcha, so it is working fine, I am just remembering it wrong. That is what I thought, but I feel like I remember the flash showing me the corresponding f-stop. Thanks for the reply.

On 2/5/2020 at 5:54 PM, jaapv said:

I have bought SF24d for my M9 years ago but I didn't use it all. I have now SL, are they compatible? Sorry for this extra question in M topic🙂

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Knives52
      I picked up a Leica SF24D flash recently to use with my M6TTL. I was thinking about testing it with my Canon EOS R dslr and using its screen to get familiar with the flash without wasting film (I don’t mind if it will only work using Manual mode on the flash). 

I think I remember hearing years ago something about TTL flashes not pairing well with some newer “more-electronic” cameras’ hot shoes and possibly frying the camera’s electronics — though my memory’s extremely foggy on that. 

Does anyone have any experience using the SF24D on a dslr of any make/model and/or on any digital Leica body? 

Would covering the flash’s 3 “TTL connector pins” on its hot shoe with electrical tape (while leaving the main center pin uncovered) be necessary or safer?

Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question.
    • By holgK
      Verkaufe wegen Neukaufs einer M10 meine M9:
      Schwarz (2013 neu beledert), SENSOR NEU im Feb. 2020, danach nicht mehr genutzt! Die Kamera wurde im Zuge des Sensortausches umfassend revidiert, siehe Beleg. Alle Belege und Originalverpackungen vorhanden. Kamera wird verkauft zusammen mit: LEICA Protektor aus Leder, LEICA Handgriff, Daumenstütze, Original- und Third-Party-Ladegerät und Akkus, Original Trageriemen aus Leder. Der Apparat hat Gebrauchsspuren, techn. nach der Revision fast neuwertig, erst 18831 Auslösungen. Weitere Fotos auf Anfrage!
      DAS AUF EINEM FOTO ZU SEHENDE OBJEKTIV SUMMARIT 90mm IST NICHT BESTANDTEIL DES ANGEBOTES UND KANN SEPARAT ERWORBEN WERDEN.
      Gerne weitere Auskünfte telefonisch oder per Email.
      Verkauf an Selbstabholer oder Versand (dann bitte Vorkasse).
      Privatverkauf, keine Garantie, keine Rückgabe.

• By dietermoellhoff
      Wegen eines Neukaufs biete ich an:
      Leica M9 - schwarz - Sensor getauscht - Belege vorhanden (in 2. Hand) - ca. 11.000 Auslösungen - guter Zustand (kleinere "Mäckchen" am Gehäuse ohne Funktionsbeeinträchtigung)
      Summarit 2:5/50 mm - 2015 neu gekauft - Belege vorhanden - 6-Bit
      Summarit 2:5/35 mm - 2015 neu gekauft- Belege vorhanden - 6 Bit
      Tele-Elmarit M 1:2,8 /90 mm (Germany, Leitz Wetzlar) - gebraucht gekauft - 6-Bit (beim Leica-Service nachgerüstet)
      3 Akkus, Ladegerät, Beutel für die Objektive, Half-Case mit Daumenstütze (Leder, schwarz, Fremdfabrikat). Der Kameragurt im Foto gehört nicht zum Lieferumfang.
      Im Jahr 2015 war die Kamera bei Leica in Wetzlar und wurde durchgesehen, alle Objektive und die Kamera wurden justiert.
      Die Objektive sind leichtgängig, klar und ohne Beläge/Pilz.
      Alles funktioniert einwandfrei. Grundlegende Mängel sind - abgesehen von den sichtbaren Gebrauchsspuren einer regulären Nutzung an Gehäuse und Display  - nicht vorhanden.
      Das Equipment kann gerne in Frankfurt a. M. besichtigt und abgeholt werden.
      Versicherter Versand innerhalb von Deutschland möglich (Kosten trägt der/die Käufer/in).
      Privatverkauf ohne jegliche Gewährleistung und ohne Rückgabe.
      Weitere Fotos können zugesendet werden.
      Preis: € 3.800,00 (VB)

• By ehecatl
      Whenever I'm in Istanbul, one of my favorite areas to walk around is along the water. Here's a pic from a 2013 visit. Taken from the ferry docks at Eminönü on the Golden Horn, looking out towards Karaköy and Galata Tower. 
      The deets:
      M9 Summicron 40-C (what a great lens)
      Post-processed in Lightroom.

Saludos,
      S

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By airV
      1 - Skatepark  (South Bank)

Leica M9 +  CZ c-sonnar 50mm f/1.5

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!