ropo54

Leica S lenses on SL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

And the SL75 lens is of course weather sealed.  I own it in addition to the 24-90 for a smaller, faster option, and because I never bonded with 75mm frame lines on my M bodies despite liking the focal length.

Jeff

@Stuart Richardson alright thanks.. I will pass on the 80mm f1.4 then or perhaps wait and see if I can test one on my SL2.. I get tempted looking at some of these lenses sold in *mint* condition on eBay! :D

17 hours ago, aksclix said:

How does the R 80mm f1.4 compare to the new 75mm f2 SL lens?

Not at all similar, the R 80/1.4 is similar to the M 75/1.4 in that it is soft/dreamy wide open improving in sharpness until about f5.6 - neither is APO.  The SL 75/2 is similar to the M 75/2, sharp all the way through and both are APO.  If you want a flattering portrait lens, then the former but if you want sharpness all the time then the APO.  I have hardly used my M 75/2 since I got the M 75/1.4, and although similar I prefer the draw of the R 80/1.4...

john

For me face detection alone is a reason to use the 75SL over a manual focus lens. If you like shooting wide open and you like the eyes in focus...it helps a lot IMO.

But I can see how the rendering IS much different and some may like the dreamy rendering of the mandler lenses.

Edited by tom0511

That’s true but the focus peaking function has brought life back into manual focus lenses.. if the older Leica glasses are half the price or lower without compromising in image quality that’s what I am looking for.. but it does sound like the older glasses are softer and that’s a deal breaker for me.. 

Maybe Sigma Art 85 mm could be an alternative.

Or if you dont mind manual focus but want Leica with more modern look, what about 75 Summarit or 75 Summicron M?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have the 70-200 f2.8 Panasonic s pro which is certified by Leica and the lens is tack sharp!! I am extremely pleased with the IQ.. I got the sigma 105 f1.4 ART for portraits so I think I’ll put off the idea of getting a 70-75 focal length lens.. I saw an 80mm f1.4 lens on eBay in mint condition and was tempted to buy it but resisted it.. I wish I could get the 180mm f2 but can’t really spend 10K on that now 

I once had a 180/2.0 on a R9+DMR. Stunning lens.

The Sigma 135/1.8 is a very good option as well. However it shows some battery problems on the SL2.

@tom0511 whoa, how and why would you part with the 180mm f2? 

135f1.8 is good.. I really do not like changing lenses too much outdoors for obvious reasons.. so, I’ve got camera lens pairing for different purposes.. I acquired a Hasselblad HV DSLR when it went on sale and got a 135 f1.8 Sony zeiss with it.. it’s a really good lens! 

Edited by aksclix

vor 16 Minuten schrieb aksclix:

@tom0511 whoa, how and why would you part with the 180mm f2? 

135f1.8 is good.. I really do not like changing lenses too much outdoors for obvious reasons.. so, I’ve got camera lens pairing for different purposes.. I acquired a Hasselblad HV DSLR when it went on sale and got a 135 f1.8 Sony zeiss with it.. it’s a really good lens! 

I had problems to focus accurate with the R9/DMR, also for my use a shorter focal length works better for portrait, and for Tele I mostly prefer flexibility of a zoom.

S 120mm Macro on the SL2. As a partial response to what I’ve been reading I decided to add the Leica APO-MACRO-SUMMARIT-S 120mm F2.5. I was excited about a fast lens that I could use for portraiture and macro photography. I purchased a near mint condition lens with a “replaced”motor” on eBay. Unfortunately I’m struggling with its use. It’s surprisingly noisy autofocus motor was concerning, but more importantly it’s almost impossible to lock in focus with this lens. When attempting to use this lens with autofocus, it hunts and doesn’t allow me to make an exposure. In fact, I must to use it manually until focus is close and then use the back button, which is slightly less accurate than manual. Am I missing something?

@Michael R Yeup!! Sounds familiar.. it should lock in focus eventually... after the beep sound it continues to sharpen and then it stops after about 3-4 seconds 😌 this is not a good setup to shoot people with.. especially if they’re posing for you.. they’re going to be annoyed in more ways than one!! First the noise then the ridiculously slow AF.. I’ll use it for a few months and reconsider if I want to keep it or swap it out for a nice new SL lens