Panasonic 24 - 105 on Leica T?

Ivar B

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The story is that I have a Panasonic 24-105 for sale. It came to me in a deal with the S1R, and I don`t need the Panasonic lens as I already have the Leica 24-90.

Now there is a potential buyer of the 24-105 who owns a Leica T. I told him that this is probably not going to be well balanced, but I also said that I don`t know if the T firmware supports this Panasonic lens, and I have no T-body to test out.

Does anyone know or have some personal experience?

Ivar, the lens worked well on the CL. I don’t know about the T, sorry. Updating lens firmware is supposed to deal with a potential battery drain issue.

Good luck on the sale. I’ll put mine out as soon as the competition is off the market 😁.

Good lens, really. I too compared it to 24-90. Compared well for some uses - hard to tell images apart in some tests. I found it lagging behind in detail real close up and at distance. Colours came through a little duller. Build-wise there is of course no competition to 24-90, but the attraction of the 24-105 lies in the lighter build and heft.

2 hours ago, Skarpen said:

Ivar, the lens worked well on the CL. I don’t know about the T, sorry. Updating lens firmware is supposed to deal with a potential battery drain issue.

Good luck on the sale. I’ll put mine out as soon as the competition is off the market 😁.

Good lens, really. I too compared it to 24-90. Compared well for some uses - hard to tell images apart in some tests. I found it lagging behind in detail real close up and at distance. Colours came through a little duller. Build-wise there is of course no competition to 24-90, but the attraction of the 24-105 lies in the lighter build and heft.

Well, the Leica lens is about 3 x as expensive and should offer more. I found one user report saying the lens worked well on the T, but I would like to hear from some Forum members also. 

• 1 year later...

Hello, 

I tried the 24-105 on my TL2 (with latest firmware 1.5) and I find it unusable. AF is soooo slow and OIS does not work. My lens was updated with the latest firmware on my S1.

TL2 is not working that well with L-MOUNT lenses from Panasonic or Sigma. With my Sigma 45mm, the camera does not recognize the aperture ring. I need to change the aperture on the camera. On the contrary, the TL2 is working well with the latest Sigma 18-50 2.8.

The issue is probably caused by the fact that the latest firmware for the TL2 (and TL and T) is older than the announcement of the L-Mount alliance.

• 4 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I wish my first post was a more useful contribution, but here goes. The post from @GLAUMAX above is the closest thing I’ve found to what I’m experiencing now. I just picked up a TL2 body as my introduction to Leica since I already shoot on the S1R.

I’m trying it out now on some Panasonic and Sigma full frame L Mount lenses, and the AF is not working as it should (all camera and lens FW is up to date). I’m thinking it must be a lens compatibility  issue, but would love it if someone could confirm. The camera just cannot seem to complete the equation for exposure when using AF. In aperture priority, the shutter speed doesn’t change. In shutter priority, the aperture doesn’t change. Reading through other threads on the CL, it seems like the body might not be able to recognize all of the data from the non-Leica lenses. Does that sound right? 

I do plan on buying Leica TL glass, although if I can’t mix my full frame L Mount lenses with it, the advantage of having both bodies shrinks. I do love the compact form factor of the TL2. I hope there is a simple solution I’m overlooking. Nothing in the manual seems to address my issue. 

Thanks in advance for any assistance, folks. 

Scott

T, TL & TL2 never received the required firmware update for L-mount alliance lenses. Actually Leica forgot to update them since october 2018. Just over one year after TL2 release...

Sigma and Panasonic lenses may or may not work with various performance penalties.

Just stick with CL, SL or SL2/SL2-S

By the way this if the official list of L-mount cameras : https://l-mount.com/en/cameras/?

No T, TL nor TL2 !! Leica gave up long ago the idea to make them compatible with Sigma and Panasonic lenses. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 2

Strange,

the lens works just fine on my 4 T's and 1 TL2. I remember when I first put the Panasonic S zoom on my T's  and TL2, they performed an automatic firmware update.

I use the Panasonic on my T/Tl2 to take advantage of the lens OIS, and my TL lenses on my S1R use the IBIS.

Hope this helps.

On 2/10/2022 at 6:04 PM, smcmason said:

@nicci78 thank you for the confirmation! It was surprising to see 2018 as the last FW update when I was troubleshooting. I suppose now I am in the market for a CL  :) 

You’re welcome. 
CL got its latest FW 4.1 in June 2021. 
TL2 FW 1.5 in October 2018… 

Which is the favourite child ? both were released in 2017

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 5:40 AM, mikozia said:

Strange,

the lens works just fine on my 4 T's and 1 TL2. I remember when I first put the Panasonic S zoom on my T's  and TL2, they performed an automatic firmware update.

I use the Panasonic on my T/Tl2 to take advantage of the lens OIS, and my TL lenses on my S1R use the IBIS.

Hope this helps.

I got a similar message with each lens the first time I mounted them. Still just couldn't seem to work 100% correctly. My CL is scheduled to arrive today, so I'm anxious to use the same lenses on that body and see what happens. Thanks for your input!