A wonderful article about using the Leica M8

MikeMyers

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think someone sent me a link to this article:

https://photographic-central.blogspot.com/2018/04/setting-up-my-leica-m8-for-leica-m-d.html#comment-form 

Lots of interesting ideas, including turning off "Image Review" and forgetting that you're even shooting digital.  I just did that.

On 2/4/2020 at 12:43 PM, farnz said:

You can also get your M8 to imitate a Monochrom if you switch to jpeg only and change the Saturation setting to black and white.  

The M8's out-of-camera black and white pictures are renowned for being very good.

Pete.

For black and white, I prefer to shoot DNG raw and then convert in Photoshop. That gives me the ability to use the color sliders to get filter effects. I find I have much more control over the output that way and overall the photos are much better than the BW jpegs (which are pretty good). I prefer the BW images from the M8 using this method better than the BW I get from the M10 and other Leica digitals.

2 minutes ago, 84bravo said:

For black and white, I prefer to shoot DNG raw and then convert in Photoshop. That gives me the ability to use the color sliders to get filter effects. I find I have much more control over the output that way and overall the photos are much better than the BW jpegs (which are pretty good). I prefer the BW images from the M8 using this method better than the BW I get from the M10 and other Leica digitals.

While I don't disagree I was advising how to use the M8 to replicate the Monochrom and shoot in black and white.  You can't do that if you shoot the M8 in DNG because you still have the colour file to fall back on.  Shooting in black and white only is a different perspective in my opinion and forces the photographer to take a different approach and to visualise in black and white before taking a picture.

Pete.

• Like 4

M8 gives wonderful b/w jpg except for some sharpening artifacts.

This crop of a b/w have standard sharpening and there are som artifacts around the church tower.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Compare this to a standard DNG:

Advertisement (gone after registration)

And to a Enhanced Details:

Here is the original picture: