A Trifecta of Monochrom's

Jager

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Jager said:

Aye, it would seem we've traversed much of the same ground, Jeff.  Not a surprise that your and my photographic sensibilities are simpatico in so many respects.

I've long been intrigued by the S-system.  I hope Leica never brings out an S Monochrom!  Buying a single, expensive body is one thing.  Buying a whole system is something altogether harder!  Especially now that I'm retired and living on Social Security.

Honestly, what has my eye more than anything is the SL2.  Being able to use my M lenses on an IBIS system seems awful compelling.  I'm guessing that would make for a powerful adjunct to my rangefinders.  (Especially since I sold off most my Nikon glass several years ago to fund the purchase of my Flextight scanner.)

All the best, my friend.

If I ever get an S, it will be at a bargain used price, with just the small 70mm (50-ish equivalent).  The S007 b/w conversions are superb, forgetting about a monochrome version, and the cheaper S006 with CCD sensor as well, but it’s more restricted in ISO and for handholding. I just love the OVF.

I just got the SL2, mostly for zooms and wider/longer FLs than the M (using RF) provides. IBIS/weather sealing are also factors. I’ll be interested to see how my b/w conversions and prints compare over time to the MM.

I’m still curious if you intend to use all 3 Monochroms (and how to choose), or are you keeping the others for more sentimental reasons?

Jeff

19 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

I’m still curious if you intend to use all 3 Monochroms (and how to choose), or are you keeping the others for more sentimental reasons?

I'll probably sell both of my earlier Monochrom's.  They're splendid cameras, but I'm impressed enough by the latest M10 version that I know I wouldn't be using them very often.

• Thanks 1

Jeff - this is glorious writing, and I'm not surprised. The pictures are gorgeous -- not surprised. Also not surprised to find us coming to similar conclusions about all three cameras. 

I was so happy -- and not surprised -- to see you sitting at the Leica Store when I showed up to get my M10 Monochrom. It feels like we have been on a journey together since 2012.

You have made me conclude something that was bubbling up in my brain over the last two weeks of using the new Monochrom. Since getting an M7 19 years ago, I've gotten increasingly comfortable shooting Aperture Priority, because I have trusted Leica's camera brains across M8s, M9s, Monochroms, M-240s, SLs, etc. I only took to letting the ISO float in certain circumstances. But with the M10 Monochrom, as you point out really well, ISO is no longer even a factor. So by all means, let it float. However, what this now allows me to do is more often revert to shooting Manual, because I really do want to control shutter speed, a good deal of the time.

If ISO is the floating factor that lets me take certain pictures, I can shoot Manual more often. I didn't really think that way before the M10 Monochrom was released, and your lovely piece crystalized it.

I've needed to trade in or sell both my prior Monochroms in order to upgrade. I'm so happy you've kept all three, for now. And so glad we are in the Monochrom brotherhood.

If you want to ever borrow the SL2 to see what that experience is like, just let me know and we'll meet at the Leica Store. As we seem to do whenever there's a new Monochrom. Cheers.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, johnbuckley said:

Jeff - this is glorious writing, and I'm not surprised. The pictures are gorgeous -- not surprised. Also not surprised to find us coming to similar conclusions about all three cameras. 

I was so happy -- and not surprised -- to see you sitting at the Leica Store when I showed up to get my M10 Monochrom. It feels like we have been on a journey together since 2012.

You have made me conclude something that was bubbling up in my brain over the last two weeks of using the new Monochrom. Since getting an M7 19 years ago, I've gotten increasingly comfortable shooting Aperture Priority, because I have trusted Leica's camera brains across M8s, M9s, Monochroms, M-240s, SLs, etc. I only took to letting the ISO float in certain circumstances. But with the M10 Monochrom, as you point out really well, ISO is no longer even a factor. So by all means, let it float. However, what this now allows me to do is more often revert to shooting Manual, because I really do want to control shutter speed, a good deal of the time.

If ISO is the floating factor that lets me take certain pictures, I can shoot Manual more often. I didn't really think that way before the M10 Monochrom was released, and your lovely piece crystalized it.

I've needed to trade in or sell both my prior Monochroms in order to upgrade. I'm so happy you've kept all three, for now. And so glad we are in the Monochrom brotherhood.

If you want to ever borrow the SL2 to see what that experience is like, just let me know and we'll meet at the Leica Store. As we seem to do whenever there's a new Monochrom. Cheers.

Thanks for your kind, gracious words, John!  Aye, it's always nice when serendipity smiles upon us and I was heartened to see you at the Leica Store a couple weeks ago, both of us picking up our new cameras.  Believe it or not, I had wondered if I might run into you, since I suspected you and I were intent on the same mission.  We have been of like minds on so much of this good stuff, for such a long time!

Thanks for the offer of a visit with your SL2.  Alas, the bank account is rather empty right now, so there's no SL2 in my immediate future.  But I'll be interested in your continuing thoughts with it, and particularly how it integrates with your M10 and M10-Monochrom's.

All the best, my friend!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Not I, Jeff!  I think I'm good for awhile!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Then his collection is already incomplete. It is missing the Monochrom Stealth Edition and the Monochrom Drifter :-).

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...
On 2/3/2020 at 8:25 AM, Jager said:

I'm fortunate to own all three Monochrom's.  Here are a few thoughts on the M10-Monochrom, and the others, after ten days with Leica's latest.

(I regret having to make it a link, rather than posting here directly... but I believe my little sojourn exceeds forum size limits).

Such an awesome writing! I'm glad you share it with us.

• Like 3

Just come across this post and what an excellent read the report was. Only trouble is that it got me thinking about the M10M, but I think I’ve got over that and decided that my M9M does everything I need.

• Like 2

On 2/2/2020 at 5:25 PM, Jager said:

I'm fortunate to own all three Monochrom's.  Here are a few thoughts on the M10-Monochrom, and the others, after ten days with Leica's latest.

(I regret having to make it a link, rather than posting here directly... but I believe my little sojourn exceeds forum size limits).

Correction: there are four Monochroms!:)

And I'm not counting that one!:)

Edited by setuporg
  • Like 1

Thanks for the report. I was out with my Monochrom cameras today

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1