SL2 temporary EVF blackouts

MRJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yesterday I had a few temporary EVF blackouts with my SL2 wearing the APO50SL. I could shoot a few images and then it would not turn on again for a while, as if a buffer was full which makes no sense. Anybody else has observed this? I am wearing glasses, maybe they did not trigger the EVF on occasion (it was rather dark)? I did not observe this with an R lens attached with the Leica adaptor, which is probably chance. Never had this with the SL.

Im not having any issues with SL2. Make sure your lens is fully seated. Also try turning off auto settings for the displays and see if the issue goes away, if it does then you've narrowed it down to the sensor. Then you can figure out what is causing it to be fooled. There is also a sensitivity setting for the sensor. From my experience though it works perfectly on default settings.

Display Settings > Eye Sensor Sensitivity > High/Low

Mine is set to high, try a lower setting,

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, MRJohn said:

Yesterday I had a few temporary EVF blackouts with my SL2 wearing the APO50SL. I could shoot a few images and then it would not turn on again for a while, as if a buffer was full which makes no sense. Anybody else has observed this? I am wearing glasses, maybe they did not trigger the EVF on occasion (it was rather dark)? I did not observe this with an R lens attached with the Leica adaptor, which is probably chance. Never had this with the SL.

I had the EVF blackout a few days ago when I had the Sigma 45mm f2.8 mounted. I removed the lens and remounted it & turned it a little tighter, the EVF came back on as I did this.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, michali said:

I had the EVF blackout a few days ago when I had the Sigma 45mm f2.8 mounted. I removed the lens and remounted it & turned it a little tighter, the EVF came back on as I did this.

Had it once when I had mounted an M lens, but as with Michali, it turned out that the problem was that it was not fully seated. Turned the camera off, changed lenses and the issue went away.  

• Thanks 1

I have had the same issue intermittently  but not often and never was able to figure out why .

My best guess was it was eye contact the viewfinder was poor but interested to hear if any others. have had this issue .

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

16 hours ago, rfunnell said:

I have had the same issue intermittently  but not often and never was able to figure out why .

My best guess was it was eye contact the viewfinder was poor but interested to hear if any others. have had this issue .

thanks for confirming a similar issue!

My guess is this isn't an "issue", but more about the sensor and what is fooling it.

Have you tried my suggestions above to trouble shoot?

1st turn off the auto setting and see if the issue goes away. Then you will know if this is a hardware issue or simply the sensor doing its job.

Then try adjusting the sensitivity setting and see if that makes a difference . Do you wear glasses? Is your thumb crossing in front of the sensor? Do you wear a hat?

The only times I have experienced a similar problem was user error. Once the lens wasn't fully seated, the other time my cap was tripping the sensor.

3 hours ago, digitalfx said:

My guess is this isn't an "issue", but more about the sensor and what is fooling it.

Have you tried my suggestions above to trouble shoot?

1st turn off the auto seThtting and see if the issue goes away. Then you will know if this is a hardware issue or simply the sensor doing its job.

Then try adjusting the sensitivity setting and see if that makes a difference . Do you wear glasses? Is your thumb crossing in front of the sensor? Do you wear a hat?

The only times I have experienced a similar problem was user error. Once the lens wasn't fully seated, the other time my cap was tripping the sensor.

Thanks, I have not tried your suggestions yet because the issue has not yet happened again, it is very sporadic. But I will try asap. - 

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 6:49 PM, HeinzX said:

I sometimes had the same issue. It was solved b cleaning the sensor of the viewfinder.

I suspect that this plays a part as well.

I had EVF blackouts  happen yesterday,  2 things I noticed:

1. Eye sensor was smudged- cleaned it.

2. Later in the day,  I was trying to take a photograph & bending low to get a better angle & kept getting EVF blackout. I noticed that this happened when my eye wasn't up flush against the EVF & it kept blacking out. Adjusted the sensitivity (see pg. 73 of the SL2 manual).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I was having this several times again now. I am wearing glasses. Possible this is related to the frame as it goes away when I reposition a bit. Strangely this has never been an issue on the SL. They might have changed something between SL and SL2.

• 4 months later...
On 2/8/2020 at 9:59 AM, michali said:

2. Later in the day,  I was trying to take a photograph & bending low to get a better angle & kept getting EVF blackout. I noticed that this happened when my eye wasn't up flush against the EVF & it kept blacking out. Adjusted the sensitivity (see pg. 73 of the SL2 manual).

Interesting - this happened to me yesterday. 

I don't wear glasses, so that wasn't the issue - and it went away of it's own accord.  Maybe the sensitivity adjustment that Mike comments on will be a solution. Mike - did you increase or decrease?

Best

Edited by chris_tribble

1 hour ago, chris_tribble said:

Interesting - this happened to me yesterday. 

I don't wear glasses, so that wasn't the issue - and it went away of it's own accord.  Maybe the sensitivity adjustment that Mike comments on will be a solution. Mike - did you increase or decrease?

Best

Hi Chris, I just checked the "Eye Sensor Sensitivity" setting,  it's set to "High" so I increased sensitivity. I haven't had this issue since.

Best