Images from Panasonic L-Mount cameras

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Some other observations .... apart from the ability to use very low handheld shutter speeds ....

The 75/2 on this camera really shines ...... the resolving power of this lens is remarkable and the resulting images are remarkably good.

The 'level' ..... is actually level and much more accurate than the SL ..... and you can calibrate it if it is slightly off.  

Recovering shadow detail is excellent ... at the extremes there is some very fine chroma noise and an unobtrusive graininess which is easily suppressed in processing. 

Files seem very clean up to 1000 iso ..... I've not really had to go above that, even in church crypts and very dark conditions.

I don't think I've missed focus with a single shot to date ...... in the usual contrast AF 'challenging' conditions it slows a bit and occasionally hunts, but otherwise is extremely reliable. AF speeds are comparable or better than on the SL. 

'Silent mode' is handy for churches etc ..... it switches off all the beeps and changes to electronic shutter..... and can be configured as a quick menu item for rapid access. 

Exposure compensation can be configured to reset after the camera is switched off ...... so even the forgetful can't mess up. 

The Tracking/Eye/People/Dog recognition continuous AF does work as advertised ..... but predictably where the scene is not too jumbled and confused ..... but I can't see me using it much. 

Battery life has improved after a few charges .... and being able to do it via the camera without the charger is handy. With most of the unwanted crap turned off and sensible power save settings you should get a days shooting out of it. 

It's less tiring to handle than the SL and similar lenses ...... and with a suitable strap is not a burden to carry about. 

The EVF is as near optical as I think we are going to get ...... and it seems easier to see in bright light than on the SL. 

Auto WB seems spot on - even in artificial light and generally more reliable than the SL ...... colours are all very natural ....even in OOC JPG files. 

things I'm not so enamoured with ......

The custom profiles (C1, C2, C3) are selected by dial and not as well implemented as on the SL.

There is a 'Quick Menu' you can customise and a 'My Menu' ..... quite why you need both eludes me ..... and the options are not as comprehensive as the SL.

There are multiple configurable Function Buttons but the process seems so confusing I have ignored it .... I want more simplicity .... not more complication .

Similarly there is a '1, 2' switch which I haven't touched and probably never will. I'm sure it does something but I don't care. 

Having a 'lock' lever is great ..... I've configured it to disable the touch screen .... which I find causes more trouble than it's worth.

It says something about camera design where the most useful functions and buttons disable things or switch things off ...... :rolleyes:

Otherwise it's an enjoyable camera to use and the results are impeccable. The SL is currently sulking in the corner, waiting for the novelty to wear off ..... mmm ..... we shall see..... ;). I'll post a few more images later. 

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ron777 said:

Wow!  Handheld. That is truly amazing.

I don't know where I am on the Pre-order list, but I hope that the wait will not be excessively long.

Unlike Leica's rather meagre supplies at launch I think Panasonic have no shortage .... and I suspect the more expensive SR1 will be fairly easy to come by. 

Shadow recovery etc ..... original DNG in LR ... no processing

1/4 sec handheld, iso 100, 27mm, f10, 16-35

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 2

+ 5 stops exposure AND +100 shadows .....

• Thanks 1

100% crop .....

• Like 1

cleaned up a bit ......

I'm not sure whether this is good, bad or indifferent compared with other cameras .... but I cannot imagine ever having to do anything quite this extreme..... and if I had to I'd probably be quite happy with what I had resurrected from almost nothing ......

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The extra resolution helps enormously ....... this a 3000x3000 crop and still yields a usable candid image ...... 75/2, f8 (into the sun) ....

• Like 9

I tend to do considerable cropping, and it is the reason that I had purchased a Sony a7rIII, but being able to use my Leica glass and achieve the same or better level of resolution will be much appreciated.  The above cop is very good—great detail and color—and quite usable.

Edited by ron777

59 minutes ago, thighslapper said:

Unlike Leica's rather meagre supplies at launch I think Panasonic have no shortage .... and I suspect the more expensive SR1 will be fairly easy to come by. 

I hope so ... your assessment of the S1R has made me drool.  If my experience is half as good as yours, my SL will not be seeing much light.

1 hour ago, thighslapper said:

Funny looking noise pattern - not entirely random. Is that an artifact of conversion and downsizing for posting here or is it in the original? Looks like scattered vermicelli. Certainly easier on the eye than a lot of noise in other (Leica) cameras, but I wonder how much hidden processing has been done.

25 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Funny looking noise pattern - not entirely random. Is that an artifact of conversion and downsizing for posting here or is it in the original? Looks like scattered vermicelli. Certainly easier on the eye than a lot of noise in other (Leica) cameras, but I wonder how much hidden processing has been done.

The original is much more granular and less contrasty ...... looks a bit like sandstone ..... the forum conversion loses the randomness which in reality is more reminiscent of film grain. 

• Like 2

This is a bit more sensible ..... 75/2, f3.2, iso 160, 1/6 sec

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

100% crop of detail ....

• Like 6

Shadows +45 (100%) as above

shadows +100

• Like 1

At 'normal' processing levels the files look nice and clean to me ...... no banding and minimal noise and grain. 

I've not tried high iso files ...... but as IBIS lets you avoid that anyway most of the time I can't see the point investigating .... 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, thighslapper said:

At 'normal' processing levels the files look nice and clean to me ...... no banding and minimal noise and grain. 

I've not tried high iso files ...... but as IBIS lets you avoid that anyway most of the time I can't see the point investigating .... 

IBIS works well with static subjects like this, but with people and movement I would be interested in indoor high ISO performance at faster speeds.

12 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

IBIS works well with static subjects like this, but with people and movement I would be interested in indoor high ISO performance at faster speeds.

Not my forte I'm afraid ..... but no doubt someone will chip in once the US gets it's allocation next week. :)

For my intended uses the SR1 exceeds what I expected ... as a result,  I am ...... so far ........ spared GAS provoked buyers remorse.

• Like 2

I'm in no rush. I'm happy for others to spend the money and do the testing for me 😊.

I use the SL for indoor events and portraits, often in low light, but always with people. That means better high ISO performance rather than IBIS, though IBIS would be nice with the SL Summicrons. I shall continue to follow the testing till the SL2 comes along. It's interesting!

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

• jaapv changed the title to Images from Panasonic L-Mount cameras
  • jaapv pinned this topic