Images from Panasonic L-Mount cameras

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, Jon Warwick said:

Nice photo! I’m planning on getting an S1R, and have tried it in a shop with a very similar lens, ie, the M 75mm 2.4. From what I could tell, it seemed to work very well as a combo with the Panasonic, with no obvious problems like smearing at all.

The upgrade in image quality versus my (now sold) M240 was very noticeable, in my view.

Focusing accurately on the superb S1R viewfinder was also so easy with this lens. 

I didn’t use the High Res mode on the S1R, but I’m assuming it could be magnificent with this lens.

Thanks Jon. I agree, and yes focusing is really straight forward. I'm really pleased with the initial results I'm seeing with M lenses on the S1R.                                                                          

I haven't run any comparisons with the M 10 yet. On 2nd thought it's probably a pointless exercise (not a pixel peeper); I also print my best images, where any differences are not going to be really noticeable.  

In any event each camera serves its own use for me; I purchased the S1R mainly for wildlife and landscape work. I'm itching to get up to the Okavango Delta in Botswana later this month and try it out.

Best

Mike

On 5/3/2019 at 1:53 AM, rscheffler said:

The difficulty from viewing single frames is not believing that the AF can get sharp images of moving objects, it's understanding how consistently it can do it for full sequences. For example, when I tried an SL with the 90-280 of cars driving down the street at normal city speeds, some frames were in focus, but no sequence I shot had consistently well focused images. I expect the S1 will be better than the SL at subject tracking. I would like to know how it compares against 'industry standard' cameras like the 1DXII, D5, D500, a9, etc.

5 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

It's better than the SL but not close to an A9 with 100-400 in tracking performance. Single shot is close enough to be mostly irrelevant.

Gordon

+1. Although I only have limited experience with S1R, it does not compare to D500, D5, D850 when it comes to continuous AF. So S1R is not the AF-system to choose for birds-in-flight, for instance. But single AF is quick and comparable to the Nikons, and it is mostly reliable. S1R seens quite a bit faster/more reliable than SL. As expected for a 3.5 yr old system. 

Edited by helged
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This gentleman has installed his wife and children as uninvited lodgers in the eaves of our house again this year. Spends all day long squawking and doing nothing particularly useful. 90-280 at 280mm, f9. 1/80sec. Just a couple of quick handheld snaps whilst in the garden this morning. Almost a 100% crop.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 16

• Like 11

IBIS is interesting. Here is a 1.6 sec exposure with the SL 75mm at f3.5, with S1R. Handheld with electronic shutter. I guess I held the camera steady for about 1 sec (letting the IBIS doing the rest), thereafter moving the camera upwards. The face is tick-sharp at 100 percent.

Edited by helged
  • Like 12

And here S1R + SL 75mm at f2, 1/5 sec, handheld with the electronic shutter. Pin-pin sharp image. Impressive. (Apologise for another tiring snap; but the sharpness of the handheld, long exposure images are very impressive for one (read: me) being novice in the IBIS-land...). 

• Like 11

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have long had an impression ..... which I cannot really prove as my knowledge of mechanics, geometry and physics is increasingly rusty ..... that there is an optimum weight and size of camera+lens for a given sensor size that aids stability and enables the use of low shutter speeds.

The additional mass of a heavier camera ...... if it is within the range that you can hold comfortably ..... presumably increases inertia and lessens the tendency for tremor to affect the camera, and where it does possibly reduces the frequency. Combine that with IBIS and the results can be surprising. 

My current rule of thumb for slowest handheld exposures with IBIS on is 10/f  for general use (ie. with 100% success) and 20/f  if I'm taking care to be as steady as possible. I have handheld slower than this with success..... but it starts to become a bit unreliable. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Graduation day for my youngest and some of her friends.

S1R 

• Like 19

Graduation Service for my youngest

5 image handheld pano S1R

• Like 15

15 hours ago, Greg Haag said:

Graduation Service for my youngest

5 image handheld pano S1R

Is this stitched pano or is there a pano feature on S1R? If stitched, what is the final RAW file size? Thanks. 

8 minutes ago, su25 said:

Is this stitched pano or is there a pano feature on S1R? If stitched, what is the final RAW file size? Thanks. 

This is a stitched pano in Lightroom with probably about 40% - 50% overlap on each image with the final file 14,851 x 5204.  As a side note iso was 3200, camera seems to perform well at higher iso’s.

• Thanks 1

2 of my granddaughters trying out my electric bike. S1R with 90mm SL Summicron. I love the weight of that combination 

• Like 4

On 5/3/2019 at 7:53 AM, rscheffler said:

The difficulty from viewing single frames is not believing that the AF can get sharp images of moving objects, it's understanding how consistently it can do it for full sequences. For example, when I tried an SL with the 90-280 of cars driving down the street at normal city speeds, some frames were in focus, but no sequence I shot had consistently well focused images. I expect the S1 will be better than the SL at subject tracking. I would like to know how it compares against 'industry standard' cameras like the 1DXII, D5, D500, a9, etc.

There are some unclear information you have provided although I’d expect you’ve set the AF mode to AF-C on the SL. If you had lower your drive mode to ‘medium’ instead of ‘high’ you will get much better success rate, same goes for S1R. Again you mentioned some frames were not in focus. Did you mean the actual shots or your view in the SL’s view finder? From my experience, view finder can show no focus on subject but actual shot turns out better success rate on SL. 

Lumix S1R + Leica Summilux 35mm f/1.4 ASPH FLE

Please check my Instagram for more photos:

www.instagram.com/eduardomarques_photo/

• Like 13

Early morning. S1R + 75SL.

• Like 6

I find the colours of the S1R raws pleasant, including greens that can be tricky to get neutral. Actually, I think the S1R raw files are among the most neutral I have seen (based on my eyes, not measurements, so others may disagree...). S1R + 75SL.

Edited by helged
  • Like 10

20 minutes ago, helged said:

I find the colours of the S1R raws pleasant, including greens that can be tricky to get neutral. Actually, I think the S1R raw files are among the most neutral I have seen (based on my eye, not measurements, so others may disagree...). S1R + 75SL.

I agree with you. I'm shooting RAW+Jpeg, and also very impressed with the straight out of camera Jpegs.

Best

Mike

• Like 2

S1R with Leica 35mm SL Summicron, will post 100% crop next. Love the size and weight of this lens as well as the IQ. Ability to crop given size of S1R files makes this a great lens to carry and crop as needed.

• Like 3

100% roughly crop

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Request to moderator 

on the SL and CL forums the image thread is always first. This topic seems to be the most used image thread so suggest it be setup as the first topic in the Other L mount forum group. 

Not sure if this is the place to report this, if it should be somewhere else please move. 

Thanks

• Like 2