Images from Panasonic L-Mount cameras

Advertisement (gone after registration)

52 minutes ago, Chandra said:

Has anyone compared images with  the  S please (006/007) & the S1R ? Would be interesting to see the difference.Would appreciate if someone could.

Thanks in advance

I compared the 006 to the S1 in high resolution mode here. I am not sure how much better the S1R will be than the S1, but in regular shooting I have found the 24mp in the S1 to be extremely good. I think it is better than the 24mp in the M10...it seems to be sharper and have fewer artifacts in my basic testing (in text, or high resolution detail the M10 shows more moire, while the S1 maintains the detail very well even at 2 to 1..this means it will enlarge very well, even without the high resolution mode. The M lenses do perform better in the edges on the M10, however. One other random note, in my testing of the high resolution mode, high frequency detail like text can cause some artifacts...you see stray pixels in the text, so whatever algorithm they are using to assemble the images together is not totally perfect. I have to see if changing the Mode settings makes a difference in that regard.

• Like 1

What’s wrong with out of camera jpgs?

If the camera added noise reduction it did so for both the S1 and S1R. If there were differences in noise levels it should be apparent, duh

Edited by ron777
  • Like 1

The Noctilux-M 0.95 feels right at home on the S1R, and is much easier to focus with the S1R's magnification window.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Packing for a Road Trip

Edited by relms
  • Like 12

On 4/28/2019 at 9:09 PM, Chaemono said:

Out-of-camera JPEGs? Duhh.

Gordon Laing is very much a fan of out of camera JPEG shooting and he's even written a book about it - link. As for using JPEGs in reviews it does have the advantage that the review isn't based on software a prospective purchaser may not use but there's certainly an argument in favour of providing some downloadable RAWs, something I see that he will be providing later on...

Taken using HDR, first time I have used that function.

• Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

54 minutes ago, verwackelt said:

Nice! I was afraid that an avalanche of horrible HDRish pics like that 10 years ago will come over us as i heard of that function.
Here is a very subtle HDR. I like it…

+1. HDR is not my thing, but this looks balanced/neutral. 

• Like 3

A bit cropped.

Less compressed JPEG here: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-nq324R/

S1 + 75 Summicron-SL

ISO 125 f/2 @1/3200 sec.
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

A bit cropped.

Less compressed JPEG here: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-nq324R/

S1 + 75 Summicron-SL

ISO 125 f/2 @1/3200 sec.

very nice, what AF settings did you use to capture this?

Had to drive across northern Arkansas yesterday and the wildflowers and weeds are in full bloom.  It was raining so pulled over and shot this thru the window.

Lumix S1R with Lumix 24-105 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Greg Haag said:

Could someone possible point me to a thread that discusses sizing images correctly for the forum.  I feel like I may be sizing incorrectly, they seem fuzzy.

Thanks in advance,

Greg

As you cough up cash you can increase the file size limit to 1000k.

I'd sharpen the image in processing a fair bit as well beforehand, as whatever the forum does to images tends to degrade them even if you stick to the upload rules. 

Also note that there is a bug where if you post sequential images the second will invariably have a 'file size too big error'. You need to reload the page in your browser to reset the file size to zero. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, thighslapper said:

As you cough up cash you can increase the file size limit to 1000k.

I'd sharpen the image in processing a fair bit as well beforehand, as whatever the forum does to images tends to degrade them even if you stick to the upload rules. 

Also note that there is a bug where if you post sequential images the second will invariably have a 'file size too big error'. You need to reload the page in your browser to reset the file size to zero. 

Thank you!

The difficulty from viewing single frames is not believing that the AF can get sharp images of moving objects, it's understanding how consistently it can do it for full sequences. For example, when I tried an SL with the 90-280 of cars driving down the street at normal city speeds, some frames were in focus, but no sequence I shot had consistently well focused images. I expect the S1 will be better than the SL at subject tracking. I would like to know how it compares against 'industry standard' cameras like the 1DXII, D5, D500, a9, etc.

I just received my Leica M to SL adapter and tried out a couple of random shots with M lenses attached to the S1R.

S1R & Leica Summilux M 50mm @ f1.4

Edited by michali
  • Like 8

S1R & Leica Summarit M 75mm @ f2.5

• Like 12

3 hours ago, michali said:

S1R & Leica Summarit M 75mm @ f2.5

Nice photo! I’m planning on getting an S1R, and have tried it in a shop with a very similar lens, ie, the M 75mm 2.4. From what I could tell, it seemed to work very well as a combo with the Panasonic, with no obvious problems like smearing at all.

The upgrade in image quality versus my (now sold) M240 was very noticeable, in my view.

Focusing accurately on the superb S1R viewfinder was also so easy with this lens. 

I didn’t use the High Res mode on the S1R, but I’m assuming it could be magnificent with this lens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/3/2019 at 9:53 AM, rscheffler said:

The difficulty from viewing single frames is not believing that the AF can get sharp images of moving objects, it's understanding how consistently it can do it for full sequences. For example, when I tried an SL with the 90-280 of cars driving down the street at normal city speeds, some frames were in focus, but no sequence I shot had consistently well focused images. I expect the S1 will be better than the SL at subject tracking. I would like to know how it compares against 'industry standard' cameras like the 1DXII, D5, D500, a9, etc.

It's better than the SL but not close to an A9 with 100-400 in tracking performance. Single shot is close enough to be mostly irrelevant.

Gordon

• Like 1

• jaapv changed the title to Images from Panasonic L-Mount cameras
  • jaapv pinned this topic