Images from Panasonic cameras {merged}

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Bluebells look nice ...... but trying to get a decent image of them is a nightmare ..... this one from this morning is ok-ish ...... 16-35 SL

Am 20.4.2019 um 23:13 schrieb relms:

S1R + Summilux-M 35mm ASPH

While waiting for the Summicron-SL 35 to arrive on Tuesday, I broke out the Summilux-M 35 for a walk in the woods and a few test shots.  There is some minor vignetting, which is easily corrected, but untouched here.  All in all , the M 35 plays well with the S1R.

Would be nice, if you could share some information about possible diffences in picture quality between Summilux M 35 Asph and Summicron-SL 35 please. Thanks!!

Edited by saxo

2 hours ago, thighslapper said:

Bluebells look nice ...... but trying to get a decent image of them is a nightmare ..... this one from this morning is ok-ish ...... 16-35 SL

love that lens.  I'm about to trade a collection of M lenses for the 16-35 to be used with my S1R.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb JeffWright:

The use of the Leica M adapter with the S1R seems to be one of those destined things for the "Journal of Irreproducible Results". With both camera firmware 1.0 and 1.1, I do not have automatic recognition of 6-bit coded lenses. The camera does recognize, with turning the power on, that a focal length needs to be entered  for the lens. However the EXIF information contains only the focal length that is input. I've now tried all 10 of my 6-bit coded lenses, and none of them are recognized. I too am using the originally named M adapter T. It worked seamlessly with my Leica SL.  

Could this be an unintended consequence of one of the other vast camera settings available? There doesn't seem to be anything directly related to lens adapter settings available.  I'd be willing to try your camera settings on mine if you'd be willing to share it.

My s1r does detect the focal length of my 35 and 21 M lenses. I have not tried others yet.

5 hours ago, thighslapper said:

Well, you succeeded in getting much more than a decent image. It is a stunning image.

4 hours ago, saxo said:

Would be nice, if you could share some information about possible diffences in picture quality between Summilux M 35 Asph and Summicron-SL 35 please. Thanks!!

I just unboxed the Summicron-SL 35 this afternoon.  Here is the second picture I took with it.  I will let you know how it compares to the Summilux-M 35, but the SL 35 is looking pretty good so far.

Edited by relms

vor 7 Stunden schrieb AlanYWM:

That is strange because mine does not detect any M lens I mount on my S1R. Oh well, I guess I have to live with this handicap ☹️

would be interesting to find out why some people report no detection an d others report detection. Is it a setting? or good luck? or some adapters work and others not?

2 hours ago, tom0511 said:

would be interesting to find out why some people report no detection an d others report detection. Is it a setting? or good luck? or some adapters work and others not?

I thought it recognised the FL initially but now it doesn't. Elsewhere was posted similar observations, where changing the lens on the adapter with the camera switched on resulted in it being recognised, but changed any other way doesn't.

Also, I initially noted the camera defaulted to 1/f as a shutter speed in A mode ..... but now picks some other figure which is much higher. I've not done any methodical testing but it all looks like there are some gremlins in the firmware ..... The adapter itself is just a light detector that converts the lens data to a digital output so the whole business is not rocket science. It works with ancient ROM R lenses on the R-L adapter with no real problem.

With the 90, again. Fortunately, the light was good, so ISO rarely had to go above 500. These cameras are made also to shoot action.

Less compressed JPEG here: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-q3w8Hp/

S1 + 90 Summicron-SL (slightly cropped and then upsized)

ISO 500 f/5.6 @1/3200 sec.

I have tried to scan thru the images and see if anyone has tried the Canon Tilt Shift (specifically interested in the 24mm) via adapter, but I cannot find one, so asking may be the best solution.  I am very interested in the S1R for architectural with a tilt shift, is this possible?

Thanks in advance,

Greg

1 hour ago, ron777 said:

Just picked up two new Leica SL lenses, a 16-35mm F/3.5-4.5 as well as an SL 75mm F/2 and am anxious to try them out on the S1R. Will report back when the weather allows adequate testing.

I will be mortified if you are disappointed. 

Both are great on the SL and I've found them equally good on the S1R. The pair are my current 'travel' 2 lens set up. 

Well, my SL is gone, traded it, along with a bunch of M lenses for the two new SL lenses.  So I hope that they perform as well on the S1R as they've been purported to work on the SL.  But I have a question that I'm not sure has come up before, and that has to do with the eventual updating of Leica lens firmware via the Panasonic S series cameras.  Can it be done, and is it, or will it even be necessary on non-Leica bodies?

Edited by ron777

10 hours ago, Greg Haag said:

I have tried to scan thru the images and see if anyone has tried the Canon Tilt Shift (specifically interested in the 24mm) via adapter, but I cannot find one, so asking may be the best solution.  I am very interested in the S1R for architectural with a tilt shift, is this possible?

Thanks in advance,

Greg

+1 on any views people have.

I’m a bit disappointed that there are so few tilt shift lenses out there across brands. As someone with a background in large format cameras, it’s now very hard to be satisfied with architectural images when the building isn’t perfectly “upright”. The keystone effect looks pretty sloppy compared to a precisely-done architectural photo, imho.

Combined with the S1R’s high res mode, a high performing tilt shift lens (on a native L Mount) could potentially become a very good alternative to a tech camera.

9 hours ago, ron777 said:

Well, my SL is gone, traded it, along with a bunch of M lenses for the two new SL lenses.  So I hope that they perform as well on the S1R as they've been purported to work on the SL.  But I have a question that I'm not sure has come up before, and that has to do with the eventual updating of Leica lens firmware via the Panasonic S series cameras.  Can it be done, and is it, or will it even be necessary on non-Leica bodies?

I think that the updating of lens firmware by the camera is part of the L-mount specification. Ask Leica, they should be able to give you an answer.

• jaapv changed the title to Images from Panasonic cameras {merged}
  • jaapv pinned this topic