Images from Panasonic L-Mount cameras

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, relms said:

S1R + Summilux-M 35mm ASPH

While waiting for the Summicron-SL 35 to arrive on Tuesday, I broke out the Summilux-M 35 for a walk in the woods and a few test shots.  There is some minor vignetting, which is easily corrected, but untouched here.  All in all , the M 35 plays well with the S1R.

Robert- which adaptor are using for M lenses on the S1R?

I can get the Kippon adaptor here in SA, or I can wait until I'm back in Europe in a few weeks and get the Leica adaptor with the electronic chip. I suppose that it will relay the lens (6 bit coded)  info on the S1R?

Thanks,

Mike 

Edited by michali

2 hours ago, michali said:

I can get the Kippon adaptor here in SA, or I can wait until I'm back in Europe in a few weeks and get the Leica adaptor with the electronic chip. I suppose that it will relay the lens (6 bit coded)  info on the S1R?

Thanks,

Mike 

Unfortunately it appears that the S1R does not use the M mount 6 bit data at present. You are presented with a (well thought out) option to manually enter a focal length. There is no other information provided in the EXIF than this focal length. The focal length is apparently used to adjust IBIS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, jrp said:

The Zeiss 35mm f1.4 certainly has a bit more vignetting than the Summilux.  I don't know why.

I have yet to compare them side by side but I am not too worried of the Zeiss lens because by f2.8, vignetting is almost negligible. Both are very good performers. The Zeiss lens offers so much more for the money.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb JeffWright:

Unfortunately it appears that the S1R does not use the M mount 6 bit data at present. You are presented with a (well thought out) option to manually enter a focal length. There is no other information provided in the EXIF than this focal length. The focal length is apparently used to adjust IBIS.

For some reason my S1r does detected the focal length of the 2 M lenses I tried with Leica adapter on the s1r (21/3.4 and 35/1.4FLE).

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, relms said:

S1R + Summilux-M 35mm ASPH

While waiting for the Summicron-SL 35 to arrive on Tuesday, I broke out the Summilux-M 35 for a walk in the woods and a few test shots.  There is some minor vignetting, which is easily corrected, but untouched here.  All in all , the M 35 plays well with the S1R.

Is there any edge smearing due to filter stack?

11 hours ago, michali said:

Thanks,

Mike 

Mike, I use the M-Adapter-T, which has now been renamed to M-Adapter-L, but it is the same adapter, only the name has changed to be more in keeping with the wide variety of L-mount cameras.  

9 hours ago, JeffWright said:

Jeff, I believe the S1R does read the 6-bit codes, but its use of that information seems to be limited.  The S1R does recognize and applies the focal length of those lenses, but perhaps not much beyond that.  I have found that when I apply the lens profile in Lightroom there is some distortion correction, but I have no way of knowing what is happening beyond that adjustment.

6 hours ago, tom0511 said:

For some reason my S1r does detected the focal length of the 2 M lenses I tried with Leica adapter on the s1r (21/3.4 and 35/1.4FLE).

Tom, see above.  If the lenses are 6-bit coded, then the S1R should recognize the lens - at a minimum the focal length.

3 hours ago, alan.y said:

Is there any edge smearing due to filter stack?

None that I have detected.  However, it does appear that M lenses give up some sharpness on the S1R.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Granted, the 75 and the 90 SL were the wrong lenses to take to this place because one was standing so close to the race track that both focal lengths were often too tight. Made for some great portraits, though. BTW, AF tracking worked great. I have one example where twelve pictures in a row were in focus. May post it later in a dedicated thread to this event.

Less compressed JPEG here: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-q3w8Hp/

S1 + 90 Summicron-SL - Portrait of a horse with man on a sulky 😁

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

ISO 500 f/5.6 @1/3200 sec.
  • Like 6

And now with the 75 Summicron-SL. It's the more versatile of the two but the 90 is the better portrait lens.

S1 + 75 Summicron-SL - Portrait of a man on a horse.

ISO 320 f/5.6 @1/2500 sec.
  • Like 5

Went for a walk this afternoon and met Sam enjoying his joint. He's a recycler, these guys eke out a living by collecting plastic, paper, cardboard and cans.                                     They prowl the streets at all hours of the day and night, they live a rough and very hard life.              

S1R  Vario Elmarit SL 24-90mm.

• Like 8

S1R  Vario Elmarit SL 24-90mm. I've only had the lens for about 4 days, I thoroughly enjoy its versatility.

Edited by michali
  • Like 9

S1R + Summicron-SL 75

The dynamic range and sharpness of this camera/lens combination is pretty impressive.  No sharpening added in post.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

S1 + 90 Summicron-SL (slightly cropped and upsized) - Portrait of a horse with woman on a sulky

ISO 500 f/5.6 @1/3200 sec.
  • Like 5

Corinth Canal Greece, S1R with Leica 24-90. I find the lens so versatile that’s all I need to carry and while heavy very manageable, with a spare battery in my wife’s purse. She carries the CL. 

• Like 9

On 4/20/2019 at 5:26 PM, verwackelt said:

I like that Lens. Esp. the close focus distance and that pleasing soft but not too swirly bokeh.
A 24mm with similar characteristic would be fine…

The SL 16-35 is even closer focusing, and it includes a 24mm. So for me the more useful lens. I don’t miss the wide aperture at all in wide-angles. At such a close distance the zoom also has a nice bokeh.

My friend's 1984 Porsche Carrera - homage to the 1971 917K victory at Le Mans.

S1R Vario Elmarit 24-90mm

• Like 6

100% crop from the image above-

Edited by michali
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

And now with the 75, again. The SL primes are stunning.

Less compressed JPEGs here: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-q3w8Hp/

S1 + 75 Summicron-SL

ISO 320 f/5.6 @1/3200 sec.
  • Like 4

On 4/21/2019 at 1:19 PM, relms said:

Jeff, I believe the S1R does read the 6-bit codes, but its use of that information seems to be limited.  The S1R does recognize and applies the focal length of those lenses, but perhaps not much beyond that.  I have found that when I apply the lens profile in Lightroom there is some distortion correction, but I have no way of knowing what is happening beyond that adjustment.

The use of the Leica M adapter with the S1R seems to be one of those destined things for the "Journal of Irreproducible Results". With both camera firmware 1.0 and 1.1, I do not have automatic recognition of 6-bit coded lenses. The camera does recognize, with turning the power on, that a focal length needs to be entered  for the lens. However the EXIF information contains only the focal length that is input. I've now tried all 10 of my 6-bit coded lenses, and none of them are recognized. I too am using the originally named M adapter T. It worked seamlessly with my Leica SL.  

Could this be an unintended consequence of one of the other vast camera settings available? There doesn't seem to be anything directly related to lens adapter settings available.  I'd be willing to try your camera settings on mine if you'd be willing to share it.