Images from Panasonic L-Mount cameras

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 4/16/2019 at 9:26 AM, NRKstudio said:

I posted some of these somewhere else on the LCF accidentally.  The S1r has been a champ with adapted lenses, almost makes me want to list my A7r3. . . . It is def better at adapting M lenses than my A7r3, have to test Nikon Z7 before I make my mind up there.

How is everyone finding skin and wood tones to work with from the RAW files? I like working with my M10 files, but not my Sony files for those.

And how is the Pany's EVF for MF of the M lens - higher resolution a big difference to other mirrorless?

I find the "picture in picture" mode usefull for manual focus. You have a magnified area in the middle (or somewhere else) but the whole frame shows the complete image. So you can focus with magnification and still keep an overview over the whole scene.

The EVF is very good, but I allways found the SL viewfinder good as well. Both are better than the visoflex for the M10.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You would think the higher res makes it more useful.  But when magnifying to 16x and above, the images don’t hold resolution comparable to the resulting RAW files (rw2), and less than the the Sony.  The Sony has much less resolution and frame rate but its interpolation or jpegs look better quality magnified in live view.  Live view also lags at 16x-20x.  I did a comparo of the 28 lux on S1r vs A7r3 on FM forum, and during the testing the EVF didn’t crack up to what I thought it’s capable of.  In practice it’s fine though as I don’t typically have time to zoom in to 20x when chasing my baby son around.  

I assume that you are referring to the EVF.  And in that regard, is the depicted image dependent upon the quality of .jpg selected in camera?  

I own a Sony a7rIII as well, and I find manual focusing much easier on the S1R than the Sony or SL, so if it isn't jpg quality dependent, I guess that there are individual variances in perception.

Edited by ron777

I think the EVF lagged as the file is larger, frame rate higher, resolution higher and the magnification greater.  Perhaps the larger higher res EVF may just display the issues with the JPEG better than the Sony’s lesser EVF.   tho the Sony doesn’t lag.  

The nikon z7, with its high res EVF exhibits this same lag at magnification.  

• Like 1

A very dramatic color Moire pattern can be seen in this man's shirt.  Has anyone else noticed moire to this degree in any of your images?  I couldn't get rid of it with the adjustment brush in Lightroom.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

S1R + Leica Summicron-SL 90mm

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

vor 12 Stunden schrieb relms:

A very dramatic color Moire pattern can be seen in this man's shirt.  Has anyone else noticed moire to this degree in any of your images?  I couldn't get rid of it with the adjustment brush in Lightroom.

Nice. But the Nyquist Limit on your sensor was too low. 😁

Taken through a moving bus window. AF is really fast on S1R with Leica 24-90. Clear enough on original to see prices of the fruit. Picture taken in Sicily.

Edited by grahamhoey
Original attachment too large
  • Like 5

vor 16 Stunden schrieb relms:

Did you try to remove the moirée in C1 with the moirée tool? it works quite nice. You can remove the moirée on an layer and mask only the shirt. So no other area is corrected.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, relms said:

Have you tried the new 'high resolution' feature of Lightroom that reprocesses the file and is claimed to squeeze additional resolution out of it? From what I've seen from some tests, it appears to be pretty effective at moire removal even if there isn't that much of an apparent increase in resolution/sharpness.

In any case, I think no matter the sensor resolution, there will be incidents of moire happening when subject pattern frequency and sensor pixel pitch hit a sweet spot. 

21 hours ago, relms said:

There is a new detail enhancement feature (can’t remember exactly what it’s called) that does a very good job removing moire. I see this with the M10 frequently.

8 hours ago, Chaemono said:

Nice. But the Nyquist Limit on your sensor was too low. 😁

Yeah, well, I don't find a setting for that; everything else, but nothing to increase the Nyquist Limit.🤔

4 hours ago, verwackelt said:

Did you try to remove the moirée in C1 with the moirée tool? it works quite nice. You can remove the moirée on an layer and mask only the shirt. So no other area is corrected.

No, I don't have it, but perhaps I should give C1 a try.

3 hours ago, rscheffler said:

Have you tried the new 'high resolution' feature of Lightroom that reprocesses the file and is claimed to squeeze additional resolution out of it? From what I've seen from some tests, it appears to be pretty effective at moire removal even if there isn't that much of an apparent increase in resolution/sharpness.

In any case, I think no matter the sensor resolution, there will be incidents of moire happening when subject pattern frequency and sensor pixel pitch hit a sweet spot. 

Ron, I know about the HDR feature that combines two or more images.  Am I missing something in Lightroom?

7 hours ago, relms said:

Ron, I know about the HDR feature that combines two or more images.  Am I missing something in Lightroom?

Not HDR.  It’s a new feature in LR that was added recently that is called something like Enhance Details.  It happens to do a great job removing moire.  Check Jim Kasson’s web site for tests and examples.