Images from Panasonic L-Mount cameras

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, helged said:

Just curious: IBIS activated? (I ask since for many systems, like Nikon D5 & D850, stabilisation may deteriorate the image quality when on tripod).

I believe IBIS was active but how does that explain electronic shutter working perfectly at much lower shutter speeds?

17 hours ago, AlanYWM said:

I just tested my S1R with my R 280mm f4 APO via Leica adapter. For some unknown reason, I had to use electronic shutter to get sharp images. When I switched to mechanical shutter, the images were soft even at 1/50sec on a solid tripod. I could get sharp images with 1/2sec shutter speed using electronic shutter. I also spent the afternoon testing the S1R with several WA M lenses and I am quite pleased with what I am getting out of this camera. It is a keeper for me. Much to discover and learn in the coming weeks.

Tried the 280/2.8 R apo with and without 1.4x and x2 adapters this morning. 

No matter what settings I try on a tripod ..... mechanical/electronic shutter, remote/2s/10s release, IBIS on/off I cannot get sharp images. All seem to have either some degree of ghosting or are very soft. It improves with much higher apertures but doesn't match SL or CL performance. I can't explain this with a long lens. :wacko:. Maybe it's just a product of the increased resolution showing up the lenses limitations ....

Edited by thighslapper

by contrast these are with the 90-280mm at 280mm, tripod, IBIS on and through a window .....(cropped):

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

the food is meant to be for the nesting birds ..... not these pests ...... :wacko:

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, thighslapper said:

No matter what settings I try on a tripod ..... mechanical/electronic shutter, remote/2s/10s release, IBIS on/off I cannot get sharp images. All seem to have either some degree of ghosting or are very soft. It improves with much higher apertures but doesn't match SL or CL performance. I can't explain this with a long lens. :wacko:. Maybe it's just a product of the increased resolution showing up the lenses limitations ....

Strange. The pixel size of the CL should match that of the S1R, so I suspect something else is going on. If your 280 f2.8 APO is as sharp as the 400 f2.8 APO, 47 mp sensor shouldn't be a problem at all. 

3 hours ago, thighslapper said:

Is the focal length for the IBIS manually set for 280mm in the camera? I'm wondering if the camera is producing sharper images with the 90-280 because it's receiving distance information with the native L-mount lens and maybe it is utilizing IBIS for a shorter focal length. Sort of a head scratcher though of why it is working better in ES mode than MS mode.

4 hours ago, thighslapper said:

I did something similar with my 280mm. I tested it with 1.4X and 2X TCs and it is only with electronic shutter that I get sharp images even at 1sec shutter speed. This is of course on a sturdy tripod with 2sec timer. With mechanical shutter, the images were soft. Then I tried the R 70-180mm and this time, it seems both mechanical and electronic shutters are working fine :unsure:

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, thighslapper said:

the food is meant to be for the nesting birds ..... not these pests ...... :wacko:

Well, if you keep taking his picture, he’ll think you like him....

amazing definition BTW

Am 5.4.2019 um 17:25 schrieb thighslapper:

The Novoflex AF adapter (Nikon version) allows aperture changes but not AF.

The same with my Novoflex AF adaper for Canon I tested at a local dealer with the S1R and the Canon 85 mm F1.8 and the Canon TS-E 24 mm F3.5L II today .

1 hour ago, AlanYWM said:

I did something similar with my 280mm. I tested it with 1.4X and 2X TCs and it is only with electronic shutter that I get sharp images even at 1sec shutter speed. This is of course on a sturdy tripod with 2sec timer. With mechanical shutter, the images were soft. Then I tried the R 70-180mm and this time, it seems both mechanical and electronic shutters are working fine :unsure:

Yes ... there appears to be something odd going on. I can see how having the wrong F/L set on the camera (I forgot the adapters alter it) might influence IBIS behaviour ...... but on a tripod with IBIS off and a 10 sec timer delay with the electronic shutter I expected better images than I got ..... from experience with the SL and CL.

Whatever .... I never intended to use adapted lenses except on very rare occasions .... there should eventually be enough native L mount lenses available to cover all my needs ....

• Like 1

The rain stopped, and I got out briefly this afternoon the the S1R and Summicron-SL 75.

• Like 8

100% crop of the above image.  Pretty impressive in my eye.

• Like 16

6 hours ago, relms said:

100% crop of the above image.  Pretty impressive in my eye.

Yes ..... the additional resolution plus the SL 75/2 makes it a killer combination. 

This is my main logic behind sticking with Leica L mount  ..... the current Leica SL lenses still give images a significant leg up compared to other manufacturers ... even though others have upped their game regarding lens design and quality. 

• Like 5

Based on what I am seeing so far, this new S1R with its 47.3 megapixel MOS sensor, coupled with Leica glass, make this setup a serious medium format challenger with all the benefits of a smaller package that simply feels good to hold and carry about.  When I first read of the Leica-Panasonic-Sigma alliance, I thought perhaps it was conceived out of desperation in an attempt to achieve in partnership what none of the three companies could achieve on its own in the shadow of the 300 pound gorilla (Sony).   Maybe so.  Time will tell if it works, but in the meantime the alliance brings to photographers a variety of exceptional options that would not have been available otherwise, and as the owner of the S1R and some outstanding Leica glass, I am one of the beneficiaries.

Edited by relms
  • Like 3

I couldn't agree more.  And, BTW, the IQ of cropped image is very nice.

After one day of shooting tests images and viewing the converted, RAW, results in C1, my SL has been relegated to a shelf.  My combo currently consists of the S1R and 24-90mm Vario Elmar.  My wider and longer lens requirements have been fulfilled by a Sony a7rIII and corresponding GM glass.  But with the arrival of the S1R, I will be looking forward to Panasonics lens offerings to allow for a single system setup.

• Thanks 1

S1R is ordered. Panasonic say that the camera should be available in South Africa in the next week or so. As I mentioned in another post, I plan to use it with the Vario Elmarit SL 90-280mm for wildlife work.

It's very encouraging to read all the feedback here about the combination of the S1R and Leica Lenses. It's exactly what I was hoping for when the S1R was released.

Best,

Mike

31 minutes ago, michali said:

S1R is ordered. Panasonic say that the camera should be available in South Africa in the next week or so. As I mentioned in another post, I plan to use it with the Vario Elmarit SL 90-280mm for wildlife work.

It's very encouraging to read all the feedback here about the combination of the S1R and Leica Lenses. It's exactly what I was hoping for when the S1R was released.

Best,

Mike

Mike,

I will be interested in hearing of your experience with the S1R and the 90-280 for wildlife work.  I am heading to South Africa early next month, and am thinking of bringing the S1R with the SL 90-280, along with the Sony a9 with 100-400 G Master.  

Thanks,
Robert

vor 6 Stunden schrieb relms:

Based on what I am seeing so far, this new S1R with its 47.3 megapixel MOS sensor, coupled with Leica glass, make this setup a serious medium format challenger with all the benefits of a smaller package that simply feels good to hold and carry about.  When I first read of the Leica-Panasonic-Sigma alliance, I thought perhaps it was conceived out of desperation in an attempt to achieve in partnership what none of the three companies could achieve on its own in the shadow of the 300 pound gorilla (Sony).   Maybe so.  Time will tell if it works, but in the meantime the alliance brings to photographers a variety of exceptional options that would not have been available otherwise, and as the owner of the S1R and some outstanding Leica glass, I am one of the beneficiaries.

Mmhh, I am not convinced that the package is really any smaller than on of the more compact medium format cameras.

• Like 2

So the GFX system for example is very attractiv. Its not much bigger. Some Lenses are...
But in the 35mm ecosystem there is much more versatility in lenses. I miss more faster lenses or a shift lens etc in MF.
A lot of folks adapt older lenses or ff-lenses but most times you got vignetting or the resolving power of the older lenses is not so good.
In summer holidays i will try to rent both, the GFX and the S1R and will do some test shootings. I hope that will help me for decision in which system to invest…

• jaapv changed the title to Images from Panasonic L-Mount cameras
  • jaapv pinned this topic