M9 battery shortage... and alternatives?

Stein K S

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My two Leica batteries for my 2011 M9 start to show some age.

So I ordered one new battery through local Leica Store beginning of september 2019. But still no battery and no info from Leica. Find this seemingly shortage very strange since M9 now seem to be somewhat in focus among others through Leicas own ¨refurnishing-of-old-M9-being-traded-in¨ program...

However, any advice on where/how to get reliable batteries for the M9?

I haven't used non-Leica in my M9 yet but I use generic batteries in my Q and they work just fine - no real difference between Panasonic, Leica and Chilli Power. I do usually take batteries out when I'm not using a camera.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 minutes ago, dkCambridgeshire said:

If you visit London, Red Dot Camera lists new M9 batteries … but listing states 'DUE TO CUSTOM RESTRICTIONS, WE ARE UNABLE TO SEND BATTERIES OVERSEAS'

dunk

This is true, but in actual fact there are no M9 batteries currently in stock at Red Dot.  They have been waiting for delivery several months.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ianman said:

I have and it was utter rubbish. This was many years ago now maybe the quality has improved or I was just unlucky.

You're probably right. The brands I was quoting don't appear among those offering batteries for the M9 on eBay or Amazon. 

Edited by antigallican

1 hour ago, dkCambridgeshire said:

Third party manufactured batteries for M8 / M9 are listed on Ebay … maybe other forum members can comment on their reliability 

dunk

I've used a mix of third party batteries with equally mixed results. Some won't show a full charge on the screen but seem to give 300+ shots anyway. Can't remember what brand they were but I got them from Amazon mostly. I do however grab any OEM batteries when I see them come up they do seem to work better in so much as the screen shows a true reflection of the state of them.

1 hour ago, antigallican said:

You're probably right. The brands I was quoting don't appear among those offering batteries for the M9 on eBay or Amazon. 

Sorry I didn't realize we were talking about eBay or Amazon sourced. The third party battery I mentioned was useless was bought from Aperture in London. I guess it was a dud. It was cheaper than the Leica branded but not that much. Not at all worth it as I threw it away soon after buying.

My Leica M9 generic battery experience removed any thoughts of ever using a non oem battery in my Leica cameras.  The battery was flaky and it did some damage to my charger.  

It is puzzling to me why generics don't exist for the M240, M10, S and SL.  Is it low volume or issues that create a liability for the manufacturer or seller?  

Thanks all... and it seems that I am not alone being somewhat frustrated. So conclusion must be; I should stay away from non-original batteries and I will continue to push the «supply chain»  through the local Leica Store. They claim to have pushed for it 3 or 4 times already, but they also claim to get no real or concrete answers... strange.

Edited by Stein K S

Am 1.2.2020 um 15:18 schrieb Stein K S:

Thanks! Asking for advice since I believe I have red about quite some bad alternatives one should really stay away from... not only «quality/capacity» wise but also concerning damage to the camera?  ...

Am 18.5.2015 um 22:39 schrieb Dao De Leitz:

...  The reports here (LUF)  say that the replicas have no energy management, that is recognized and used by the camera.

...  Back to your question.

My copy looks 'all right', but from outside, you can't see what you get.  In the worst case you get what you pay for ...

from  Anatomy of the Leica M8's Battery 14464, with a more detailed explanation of the battery management function.

Thorsten

• Thanks 2