M9-P + Elmarit 28mm ASPH green cast

Jim Norman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently purchased the most recent version of the Elmarit 28mm ASPH (11677) for my M9-P, and I'm getting a green cast around the edges. Has anyone else had this issue? The two solutions I've read about are to switch lens detect to 21mm ASPH, or use Flat Field in Lightroom. Neither of these solutions have worked adequately for me. I've sent sample images to Leica that I'm waiting to hear back on, but I was wondering if anyone has dealt with this and has a possible solution.

Jim Norman

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Patience and Flat Field are the only way, perhaps coupled with a considered avoidance of the lens in some situations where the effect is bound to appear (e.g. wide open indoors with white walls), and studied appreciation for the other pictorial qualities of the CCD sensor, which more than redeem this particular issue. 

The code to try is the Leica 21mm f2.8 (pre asph).  It is 11134.  Its been quite effective with a fairly large array of wide angle lenses that exhibits color casts such as the Italian flag color cast.  See what it does and how effective it is in your case.  Again it's the pre asph 21mm f2.8, not the asph version which has a different

Dave (D&A)

Edited by DandA
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Jim, I just took a few shots with my M9P+28mm ASPH changing lens detection and I agree with Dave that 21mm 11134 is the best profile. 24mm 2.8 ASPH 11878 is fine too. 28mm f2 ASPH 11604 and 28mm f2.8 ASPH 11606 are terrible. Glad I took these shots, I found a couple of nasty dust specks inside... 

• Like 1

A few questions:

For Jim Norman: Does your M9-P have the new corrosion-resistant sensor? Does it use the corresponding new firmware for M9s with the replacement sensor?

For others: When Leica revised the 28 Elmarit ASPH to take the new external-thread lens hood, was the optical formula tweaked (as with the 28 Summicron v.2) to improve corner resolution on digital? This seems to imply that is true: https://photorumors.com/2016/01/14/new-leica-summicron-m-35mm-f2-asph-summicron-m-28mm-f2-asph-and-elmarit-m-28mm-f2-8-asph-lenses/

And has anyone compared the 'New" and "Original" 28 Elmarit ASPHs on an M9 with the original, corrodable sensor - or on the revised sensor? And does Leica distinguish between the new and old lenses, either as to catalog number, or as to 6-bit code (which controls green-corner removal)?

I'm just wondering if, in having two optical versions of a lens, two versions of a sensor (M9 CCD i and ii), and two versions of the camera firmware (which includes the in-camera color-vignetting profiles) - ALL OR ANY OF WHICH could change the amount of green vignetting produced - something got lost in translation.

It may just be a question of - using a 2-generation-old M9, use the older-generation lens.

For the record, I've been trying out a v.1 28 Elmarit ASPH on an M10 (yet another, different sensor and firmware, obviously). No significant green corners.

Edited by adan

54 minutes ago, adan said:

For Jim Norman: Does your M9-P have the new corrosion-resistant sensor? Does it use the corresponding new firmware for M9s with the replacement sensor?

Leica CS do the firmware update when the sensor is changed. I don't think an older version can be installed, not that I have tried.

• Thanks 1

Adan, from what I recall, the optical formula was tweaked in all three lenses when the new hoods were designed and it was primarily for improved corner performance, especially on some Leica non M bodies such as the original SL.  I think it also may have improved corner performance on M bodies too. 

Dave (D&A)

• Thanks 1

I have an M9-P that was converted from an M9. Not sure if the sensor was updated, but it does have the firmware 1.210. After a fair bit of back and forth, here is the response I got from Leica:

"Your images were reviewed at the Leica factory headquarters in Germany.  They concede that though the effect is lessened when Lens Detection is set to Automatic, some amount may still be present on M9 images.  The recommendation put forward on the Leica User Forum to manually set the #11134 21mm profile seems worth trying out."

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, adan said:

A few questions:

For others: When Leica revised the 28 Elmarit ASPH to take the new external-thread lens hood, was the optical formula tweaked (as with the 28 Summicron v.2) to improve corner resolution on digital? This seems to imply that is true: https://photorumors.com/2016/01/14/new-leica-summicron-m-35mm-f2-asph-summicron-m-28mm-f2-asph-and-elmarit-m-28mm-f2-8-asph-lenses/

And has anyone compared the 'New" and "Original" 28 Elmarit ASPHs on an M9 with the original, corrodable sensor - or on the revised sensor? And does Leica distinguish between the new and old lenses, either as to catalog number, or as to 6-bit code (which controls green-corner removal)?

I'm just wondering if, in having two optical versions of a lens, two versions of a sensor (M9 CCD i and ii), and two versions of the camera firmware (which includes the in-camera color-vignetting profiles) - ALL OR ANY OF WHICH could change the amount of green vignetting produced - something got lost in translation.

It may just be a question of - using a 2-generation-old M9, use the older-generation lens.

For the record, I've been trying out a v.1 28 Elmarit ASPH on an M10 (yet another, different sensor and firmware, obviously). No significant green corners.

Hi,

I have the original Elmarit 28mm Asph. My original M-E (corroded) sensor use to work fine with this lens, no green color cast in the corners. Sensor changed back in 2017, from there I've started seeing exact same issue as described. Actually some pics from my camera can be seen in the older post on the subject. I never got feedback from Leica and I've assumed Leica will not come up with a new corrected lens profile, i lost hope in a solution for M9/M-E. Btw, the 21mm profile is different but not much better, i tried all. :( B&W works fine though.

Forgot to add, with the new sensor came the new Fw, so I'm not sure if the issue is the new sensor or the new firmware...

Guilherme

Edited by gu_al
  • Thanks 1

On 2/6/2020 at 3:44 PM, Jim Norman said:

I have an M9-P that was converted from an M9. Not sure if the sensor was updated, but it does have the firmware 1.210. After a fair bit of back and forth, here is the response I got from Leica:

"Your images were reviewed at the Leica factory headquarters in Germany.  They concede that though the effect is lessened when Lens Detection is set to Automatic, some amount may still be present on M9 images.  The recommendation put forward on the Leica User Forum to manually set the #11134 21mm profile seems worth trying out."

We already gave you the correct profiles.