New leather, new skin on your Leica M (all models)

Al Brown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Proudly show your Leica M that is not regular out-of-the-store leather/skin. Possibly tell where you had it done.
Here is mine. Factory replaced in Wetzlar.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Einst_Stein said:

You can get Hermes or LV brand with luxury patterns. But I don't found any prettier than the original. It's very personal.

It depends on who you want to please, yourself or strangers. 

Oh absolutely and solely myself. My old leather was torn, mine is one of the first 2013 M's, so I jumped the chance while the camera was in Wetzlar.

1 hour ago, Al Brown said:

Oh absolutely and solely myself. My old leather was torn, mine is one of the first 2013 M's, so I jumped the chance while the camera was in Wetzlar.

I planed to do the same on my old cameras, and I found some leather patterns look very attractive on the product pictures, such as wine red python, but after I saw the real thing, the feeling is very different. Overall I found the original Still has the most balanced look. 

Yes, I know, it is very personal. I just want to shares this with people who look only the web screen or pictures, 

Here's my new-to-me Factory Refurbished M Monochrom Mk 1 complete with 'Boysenberry' full-grain leather and engraved Leica script to the top-plate;

Taken with my M-D Typ 262 / 90mm Summarit...

Philip.

• Like 10

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 2/6/2020 at 9:50 AM, pippy said:

Here's my new-to-me Factory Refurbished M Monochrom Mk 1 complete with 'Boysenberry' full-grain leather and engraved Leica script to the top-plate;

Taken with my M-D Typ 262 / 90mm Summarit...

Philip.

I really think the dark wine red looks good, at least on photo. I almost did it for my Leica. I pull back after I put it side by side with the original black.

Of course, again, this is very personal.   

• Like 1

On 2/9/2020 at 2:36 AM, Einst_Stein said:

I really think the dark wine red looks good, at least on photo. I almost did it for my Leica. I pull back after I put it side by side with the original black.

Of course, again, this is very personal.   

I know exactly what you mean, Einst.

The colour here (which is 'colour-checked' and, therefore, pretty representational) looks somehow very 'period' for a '50s camera. Oddly enough the first time I was out shooting with it - only for half-an-hour between 'stuff' - I was approached on three separate occasions by people asking if the camera I was using was an "old Leica?"...

Leaving aside the fact that every ten minutes (well, three times!) people (A) spoke to a stranger in Central London (:o) and (B) knew what a Leica was, the thing which struck me as being most strange was that they ALL thought it to be an OLD Leica. Because of the colour of the leather? Very possibly, I have to admit. In fact every one of my friends who has seen it in 'real life' has been rapturous about the colour of the leather. Mind you; they are all 'old', too......:lol:......

Down-side to the 'Boysenberry' colour? The camera looks absolutely, really silly when a black lens is fitted. Great with silver-chrome. Crap with black. I have three M-mount silver-chrome lenses which I use - all of which are at least 55 years old(!) - but I have nine black lenses which are......more modern.

Philip.

Edited by pippy

4 hours ago, pippy said:

I know exactly what you mean, Einst.

The colour here (which is 'colour-checked' and, therefore, pretty representational) looks somehow very 'period' for a '50s camera. Oddly enough the first time I was out shooting with it - only for half-an-hour between 'stuff' - I was approached on three separate occasions by people asking if the camera I was using was an "old Leica?"...

Leaving aside the fact that every ten minutes (well, three times!) people (A) spoke to a stranger in Central London (:o) and (B) knew what a Leica was, the thing which struck me as being most strange was that they ALL thought it to be an OLD Leica. Because of the colour of the leather? Very possibly, I have to admit. In fact every one of my friends who has seen it in 'real life' has been rapturous about the colour of the leather. Mind you; they are all 'old', too......:lol:......

Down-side to the 'Boysenberry' colour? The camera looks absolutely, really silly when a black lens is fitted. Great with silver-chrome. Crap with black. I have three M-mount silver-chrome lenses which I use - all of which are at least 55 years old(!) - but I have nine black lenses which are......more modern.

Philip.

Well, you got to take the consequence of your choice!

I had similar experiences when I covered the M9 LCD with a shade like cover. I normally do not check the shoot after pushing the shutter. Original meant to protect the LCD screen, but then got frequent approached, asking me "Are you shooting B&W?" I answered: both. Then they would ask me again, "do you process your film? including colored?". I have to tell them this is digital camera!  

Silver lenses always look much more sexy.  I have asked 7Artisan to make the silver version of the 28mm f1.4 but no answer. 

Edited by Einst_Stein
  • Like 1

I went for the Taupe leather and it turned out exactly like I wanted. Love it.

• Like 7

On 2/17/2020 at 2:18 PM, Mattias Burling said:

I went for the Taupe leather and it turned out exactly like I wanted. Love it.

Mattias, where did you pick up M-D replacement leather? I've been searching, but haven't found a source.

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

Google...

Yes those three are fairly well-known but, like Shu, I've never seen anyone offering a replacement for the M-D Typ 262 - which is why, I'm guessing, Shu was so curious.

Not that I'm intending replacing the skin on my own M-D but, still, I was curious as well.

On a sidenote I'm also curious as to how Mattias finds the TT Artisans 35mm f1.4 in terms of performance!...

Philip.

Edited by pippy

1 minute ago, pippy said:

Yes those three are fairly well-known but, like Shu, I've never seen anyone offering a replacement for the M-D Typ 262 - which is why, I'm guessing, Shu was so curious.

Not that I'm intending replacing the skin on my own M-D but, still, I was curious as well...

Philip.

Yep, you got it. I don't have a need to replace mine either; I was just surprised to see one with the skin replaced.

• Like 1