Panasonic S1R and Novoflex SL/EOS adapter

Ivar B

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I tried to use the Novoflex SL/EOS adapter on the Panasonic S1R and a Canon 2.5/50mm lens. The camera prompted me to switch to manual focus and this worked fine. No autofocus issues the this Canon lens on the SL. It appears that the Novoflex adapter will not work on the S1R? Perhaps the Sigma adapter will be better.

On 1/30/2020 at 10:46 PM, Ivar B said:

I tried to use the Novoflex SL/EOS adapter on the Panasonic S1R and a Canon 2.5/50mm lens. The camera prompted me to switch to manual focus and this worked fine. No autofocus issues the this Canon lens on the SL. It appears that the Novoflex adapter will not work on the S1R? Perhaps the Sigma adapter will be better.

Ivar- The Sigma MC-21 adapter works well with the S1R, I used it extensively with my Canon EF 400mm f4. I'm now using the Sigma adapter on the SL2 and it works as well.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, michali said:

Ivar- The Sigma MC-21 adapter works well with the S1R, I used it extensively with my Canon EF 400mm f4. I'm now using the Sigma adapter on the SL2 and it works as well.

Many thanks. I also noted it was stated elsewhere that the Novoflex adapter did not support autofocus. 

3 hours ago, Ivar B said:

Many thanks. I also noted it was stated elsewhere that the Novoflex adapter did not support autofocus. 

The Novoflex only works on the SL601 & SL602 in AFS mode only,  no AFC.  

The Sigma MC-21 adapter works on the SL2,  S1R & S1 &  only supports autofocus in AFS mode no AFC. When I tested the Sigma vs the Novoflex on the SL2 I found he Sigma adapter to be far more accurate. With the Novoflex the lens hunts all over the place to lock onto focus. With the Sigma AF is accurate & no hunting for focus.

I ran some tests with both adapters, have a read through this thread I think you may find it helpful:

Edited by michali
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a word with Novoflex today, and it is confirmed that the Novoflex SL/EOS adapter will support diaphragm function on the Panasonic S1, but not autofocus. I asked also if there would be a software update, but this is unfortunately not the case as Novoflex has lost the support of Leica management. A pity. Maybe Leica has to support adapter from its partner Sigma.

• Thanks 1