Really Right Stuff Q2 Plate/Grip

I love the RRS base plate for my M10 and leave it on when on trips. Hated the large white logo on the front, but happy now that I blacked it out. I did not go with the L-bracket or handle grip. 
Haven't gone for Q2 model, since I wonder about its bulk and looks. Instead, I carry one of the small universal plates, and pop it on in a few seconds when wanting to compose at a tripod. Please give a review of this product if you decide to buy one.

Edited by RonnieW
Clarity
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, danielmfrank said:

Has anyone bought one of these yet?

https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/bq2-lpg

If so, what are your impressions?

I’ve not bought this, but I’d bet it’s good. RRS gear is top quality. Usually more expensive than similar China products, but always excellent. I hope you’ll buy it and report back to us. 

I have an RRS L-bracket on my Canon 5D3. I love it and would never operate without it. My Q2 has a Arte de mano leather half-case with Aventino grip. It’s excellent. And very expensive. Worth it to me. 

• Thanks 1

I have not tried the one you have shown. When I bought my Q I I bought a Lims combo of leather half case and metal frip. I liked the idea of the stability offered by the grip with the added protection offered by the leather half case. Looks very good too.

Here is a link to the Q2 one on eBay (It's not immediately clear if there is much difference other than in the metal base cut outs which are different on the Q2 to accommodate the new battery ). They certainly otherwise  look the same and mine is very well made and nice looking- the case is similar in style to the leica original. An alternative for you to consider perhaps? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LIMS-Genuine-Leather-Camera-Half-Case-Metal-Grip-Dovetail-for-Leica-Q2-Black/113757838550?hash=item1a7c7edcd6:g:3kkAAOSwgsZc5TXx

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Danielmfrank,   I bought the new RRS Q2 grip/baseplate two months ago and it is superb.  It really helps balance the camera and I can grip the Q2 far better, especially when I am using gloves.  Most important, I often need to use a tripod for my work when I create photographs with the Q2 and it integrates perfectly with the RRS ball head and quick release plate.  The RRS grip/base plate never leaves my Q2.  Plus it is designed for easy access for both the battery and SD card changes.  Last, I am waiting for the promised SL II L-plate/base from RRS as well.  Bottomline:  Great product that works for me.  Hope this helps.  r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, LeicaR10 said:

Danielmfrank,   I bought the new RRS Q2 grip/baseplate two months ago and it is superb.  It really helps balance the camera and I can grip the Q2 far better, especially when I am using gloves.  Most important, I often need to use a tripod for my work when I create photographs with the Q2 and it integrates perfectly with the RRS ball head and quick release plate.  The RRS grip/base plate never leaves my Q2.  Plus it is designed for easy access for both the battery and SD card changes.  Last, I am waiting for the promised SL II L-plate/base from RRS as well.  Bottomline:  Great product that works for me.  Hope this helps.  r/ Mark

Thanks very much, Mark! Do you find that it increases the weight and/or bulk of the camera much? Looks like it weighs a little over 1/4 pound, from the specs.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Danielmfrank,  The RRS Q2 grip/baseplate is made from aircraft grade aluminum.  I found it to be quite strong, yet lightweight.  Personally, I do not find it find it heavy nor bulky at all.  I have found over the many years of using RRS baseplates, grips and L plates etc., they are quite lightweight and very durable. You might give the Q2 grip/baseplate a go.  Worst case, you can list it on eBay and it will be gone in a New York second.  r/ Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Am 31.1.2020 um 01:10 schrieb peterm1_Leica:

I have not tried the one you have shown. When I bought my Q I I bought a Lims combo of leather half case and metal frip. I liked the idea of the stability offered by the grip with the added protection offered by the leather half case. Looks very good too.

Here is a link to the Q2 one on eBay (It's not immediately clear if there is much difference other than in the metal base cut outs which are different on the Q2 to accommodate the new battery ). They certainly otherwise  look the same and mine is very well made and nice looking- the case is similar in style to the leica original. An alternative for you to consider perhaps? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LIMS-Genuine-Leather-Camera-Half-Case-Metal-Grip-Dovetail-for-Leica-Q2-Black/113757838550?hash=item1a7c7edcd6:g:3kkAAOSwgsZc5TXx

I just received my LIM half case and it fits perfectly. Very well made and stable it makes a tight connect with my Arca Swiss compatible  ballhead. 

• Like 1

I received the RRS grip a couple of days ago. I'm happy so far. It works well with the Peak Design tripod without the need to remove the 'security pegs' on the ballhead. The grip is comfortable to hold and I like that I don't have to remove it to access the battery and SD. I agree with @nocklebeast that getting the card out can be a challenge. I let it spring out as far as it can then try to grab it.

This is replacing the Leica Q2 grip. I do like the texture more on the Leica grip and I like the big knob that makes it easily removable, but I prefer the utility of the RRS grip. New firmware and a new grip - it's like having a new camera!

• Like 2

Looks ugly to my eyes. I do like that it permits access to the battery and SD card without having to remove the plate. I will stick with Leica’s beautiful and sleek handgrip. It has a very clever knurled knob on the bottom that makes it easy to put the grip on and take it off. No hex wrench required. Also, it will be a rare occasion when I mount my Q2 on a tripod, so that feature is something I can do without. 

Edited by robgo2

• 2 weeks later...

Checking out the RRS website's Leica products, hard to believe that a company who manufactures Camera products displays product images that do NOT expand to give detailed views.

I assume they make nice products, but their dated display style leaves me wanting to see MUCH more detail before i'd buy any of their offerings.

3 hours ago, roverover said:

Checking out the RRS website's Leica products, hard to believe that a company who manufactures Camera products displays product images that do NOT expand to give detailed views.

I assume they make nice products, but their dated display style leaves me wanting to see MUCH more detail before i'd buy any of their offerings.

The images magnify when I look at them.  Does this help?

https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/assets/images/products/bq2-lpg.main-01.png

Change the 01 to 02 etc.

1 hour ago, Chippy_boy said:

Change the 01 to 02 etc.

Definitely works. I have an RRS L-bracket on my DSLR and love it. If I didn’t have an Arte de mano case on my Q2, I’d likely have this setup. It looks really good and RRS makes very high quality products. 

RRS makes fabulous products.  I use their L-plate on my 5DMKIV.  I also have two of the tripods and a few heads which are fantastic.  And we have some flash bracket gear too that is cleverly designed and works with precision.  The mini-tripod and head is really nice and super handy for travel.

All that said, for the Q2, the LIMs case for me cannot be beat.  It combines very good protection with a nice grip and a dovetail, along with easy access to the battery and card.  It's still my fav Q2 accessory; that and the Match Tech lens hood.

I also purchased a ProMedia Gear PBX3 / PLX3 L-bracket long before the RRS was available.  The upside with the ProMedia is that it is modular so the L can be removed leaving a standard dovetail plate.  It is generic so when I sold my Q and got the Q2, no new plate required.  And it is a good deal less expensive than RSS and is made very well too in the USA!  It has no grip and affords far less coverage or protection than the RRS or LIMs, but as a plate / L, it is very nice.

3 hours ago, Chippy_boy said:

Change the 01 to 02 etc.

Thanks. Your image is enlarged 8 times up from the the RRS website images as far as i can see. I have viewed their website with 2 Browsers and getting the same results.
Their photos do not enlarge to a point where i can see good detail in all of the various angles. I do appreciate your effort.
B&H only has 2 views of this product although their website allows good photo expansion. Their Q2 Product page has images that offer exceptional detail. 
Perhaps i am spoiled by the updated approach of some online vendors.

4 minutes ago, roverover said:

Thanks. Your image is enlarged 8 times up from the the RRS website images as far as i can see. I have viewed their website with 2 Browsers and getting the same results.
Their photos do not enlarge to a point where i can see good detail in all of the various angles. I do appreciate your effort.
B&H only has 2 views of this product although their website allows good photo expansion. Their Q2 Product page has images that offer exceptional detail. 
Perhaps i am spoiled by the updated approach of some online vendors.

Something wrong with your setup, somehow.  I (and Leica Guy) can simply hover over the images and you see them at the size I posted above. Anyway, you can see them now, so hopefully that helps.

vor 3 Minuten schrieb Chippy_boy:

Something wrong with your setup, somehow.  I (and Leica Guy) can simply hover over the images and you see them at the size I posted above.

I can hover over the image but nothing changes, i need to click the iamge to see it bigger. Maybe a Mac / Windows issue?

I use Windows 10 and last version Firefox as browser.

Chris

On 1/30/2020 at 7:10 PM, peterm1_Leica said:

Will this LIMS case fit the regular Q?