Ilford Photo- ADVICE FOR AIRPORT X-RAY SCANNERS: FILM & PAPERS

Keith (M)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Latest info on Ilford's website:-

We are working with the DFT and Heathrow airport in the UK and will shortly be updating our information relating to the new CT type x-ray scanners being installed at major airports worldwide.

Based on our initial testing it is almost certain the new CT type x-ray scanners for cabin baggage will be deemed unsafe for any of our ILFORD and KENTMERE film products irrespective of ISO speed rating.

You must therefore ask for hand inspection of your films if the airport is using one of the new type scanners. We will be issuing more specific advice as we complete our testing and evaluation.

HOW TO IDENTIFY THE CT TYPE X-RAY SCANNERS

The following machines are currently on the market;

Smiths – CTIX

L3 – Clearscan

Rapiscan - 920CT / Connect CT

IDSS - Detect 1000

Nuctech - Kylin

Analogic Cobra

FOR AIRPORTS WITHOUT THE NEW MACHINES, THE FOLLOWING ADVICE IS STILL RELEVANT.

If you need to travel on aircraft with film, we recommend always taking your film in carry on cabin luggage. The X-ray scanners used to check hand luggage are safe for all but the highest speed films, so except for DELTA PROFESSIONAL 3200, this is our recommendation. It is also possible to request a hand inspection for films and most security staff will allow this (although this varies between airports and countries). For DELTA 3200 you should request a hand inspection or alternatively buy the film at your destination.

Please Note: We do not recommend taking any film in your checked hold luggage, the X-ray machines used for scanning hold luggage are more powerful than the hand luggage scanners and may cause fogging of your films.

• Thanks 2

Thanks Keith. I also read somewhere (PetaPixel maybe?) about Kodak making a similar finding, neither looked good for a traveling film aficionado.

I'm considering my options for the Europe trip later this year, in the past I've not worried (not overly anyway) about X-Ray damage, and have simply carried all my film with me.

I can see I might have to re-think this.

Gary

Edited by gbealnz
Spelling

Thanks Keith, this is very clear and especially because it is Ilford self that states it. Here and on other site on Internet you get opinions and anxiety biased statements from wise guys which lead me to insecurity. But any Ilford lower than 3200 being safe is clear and simple. I will carry my films in a seethrough plastic bag which I can easily show the airport personnel. Thus far my experience with personnel is very cooperative btw.

Are these scanner brands always shown very clearly, as far as you guys know?

Edited by otto.f

28 minutes ago, otto.f said:

....Are these scanner brands always shown very clearly, as far as you guys know?

Holding the queue up whilst you try to find the type of scanner and check it against your list isn't going to win you many friends amongst security personnel.

During a 2-week trip I made to Egypt in January, my camera bag containing my MP, 5 lenses and 20 rolls of 100-400 iso colour and black and white films was scanned more times than I have ever experienced before, not only prior to four flights but all bags are scanned at every tourist location and hotel entrance we passed through during our visit.  There is no adverse effect on any of my films.  Of course, these were all older type scanners.

It seems that films are very likely to be damaged by the new CT scanners, so those of us who usually travel with film are going to be very reliant on the cooperation of security staff for hand checks and will have to decide whether the risk of travelling with film in the future is worth it. 

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

It seems that films are very likely to be damaged by the new CT scanners, so those of us who usually travel with film are going to be very reliant on the cooperation of security staff for hand checks and will have to decide whether the risk of travelling with film in the future is worth it. 

Yes. I'm glad I kept hold of my M240 now.

Pete

9 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

Holding the queue up whilst you try to find the type of scanner and check it against your list isn't going to win you many friends amongst security personnel.

They aren't that hard to spot - the design motif seems to be that of a small turbine: https://www.rapiscansystems.com/en/products/920ct

• Thanks 1