Uncooperative AF-C1?

dave_n_s

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Rather lowly for the true Leica people and I suspect this camera was not manufactured by Leica, despite the Leica badge (made in Japan), however this is in a worth cause.

I volunteer for the Thrift Store that supports our local hospice (TRU Boulder), working on the more unusual donations.

We've had one of these donated, looking good, with the manual and leather case and it will raise a useful amount for the hospice if I can confirm it operates, at least to the point of handling film, firing shutter and flash.

I've obtained a battery, and switched it on.

It makes an initial whirr as it figures out what's inside it and correctly indicates 0, with nothing else on the display.

Pressing the timer button adds the time symbol to the display.

Tele extends the zoom and flash and, with that in or out I can hear it autofocusing as I first-press the shutter. I'm getting a single red flash at each press, no sign of the expected green focus light, however I've no film loaded.

If I single press the flash button, I also get a single red flash, hold flash and I get red flashes approximately every second. No indication of the flash being charged / ready.

Battery is Energiser, new / sealed, Exp 12/26 and testing at 6.2V after carrying out the above

I assumed lack of shutter firing and a correct autofocus was due to lack of film (personally I'm all digital, Canon 5DIII, and a couple of Sony RXs) so I loaded an expired film. It threaded when the back closed and I got a 1 indication in the display. It would then autofocus once (steady green), but didn't fire the shutter, thereafter a red flash on half press.

This is repeatable - remove battery, rest for a while, reinsert and same sequence again.

I checked the DC resistance at the battery compartment contacts with the power switch on and off it was 1.2MOhm, so no obvious shorts that would drain the battery quickly.

I've decided that the most likely issue is a bad battery as 6.2V seems low for 2x 3V lithiums new / unloaded. However as we're trying to raise funds, the point at which I sell it for repair comes sooner than if I was a business. 

So the questions:

Does anyone who uses the 2CR5 battery know what new / unloaded voltage is typically?

Are there any known issues with this camera that would quickly kill a battery? 

Is there a way of tricking the shutter to fire with the back open?

I'm competent with small electromechanical things and have a fully equipped electronics bench - when not volunteering I restore vintage audio gear as my retirement gig - however I try not to dive in without relevant expertise on the item in question or servicing tech info to guide me.

Any advice would be appreciated.