Blind test

late9sound

4 minutes ago, late9sound said:

I just got the X1 a few days ago and loving it so much.  Just curious if a person can tell if an image is taken by the Leica X1 or Leica Q (blind test) as I can't image how much better can the Q be.  Your thought, insight?  

In good light, no. Blow it up to larger sizes and the Q will show it superiority simply because of its bigger sensor. Go to a darkish place and the fast starting lens aperture and IS will give the Q a clear advantage. Looking for a smaller package? Step forward the X1. Enjoy you classic little camera, even if you need to use a small tripod in darker places.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wda said:

... Enjoy you classic little camera, even if you need to use a small tripod in darker places.

Spare batteries and on-camera flash might do as well.

IMO, X1 is more go to partying camera than taking lonely moonshine landscapes. :)

12 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

IMO, X1 is more go to partying camera than taking lonely moonshine landscapes. :)

I was thinking more of moving children or animal pets in less well lit spaces in many homes. The Q excels in such situations and has the merit of incorporating a wider angle lens as well as the X1 equivalent focal length.

2 hours ago, Ko.Fe. said:

I can't speak for moonshine (much less when I am under the influence! :) landscapes but I have an enlargement on my wall from Cairo, a morning before the "Day of Rage" made that I have enjoyed for many years, it makes a very good case for X1 (or other X cameras) for landscape use when used with care, and never do I look and say, wish I'd carried my M along on that trip.   Not saying the Q isn't superior. David's post in direct answer to the OP was clear and cogent in my view.  And pointing to the "package" size should be a consideration in choosing a camera.

David

2 hours ago, wda said:

I was thinking more of moving children or animal pets in less well lit spaces in many homes. The Q excels in such situations and has the merit of incorporating a wider angle lens as well as the X1 equivalent focal length.

Sounds like our home. I use flash and f8. :).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you everyone for your comments.  You had helped me to save money as I was thinking of the Q.  Better to enjoy what I have than kept thinking about other things.... Especially I only have the X1 for less than one week.  The compact size of X1 sure is a plus - I can bring it with in my jacket wherever I go....  Thanks again everyone!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1