M8 PHOTOGRAPHS, POST THEM HERE

wilfredo

Cookery course...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

Still new here, slightly embarrassed as I can't figure out how to add pics to my album as I cannot find the option to upload photos. Duh.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10

Martin -

If you'll notice your Flickr images no longer display. This happens fairly often. In the future I encourage you to place images direclty here rather than using Flickr to do so.

Hi Lax,

Nice available light work. :)

In reference to the image where the foreground guitar player is out of focus and noting up front that it is up to a photographers preferences, it's my experience discernable but blurry foreground items easily become visually distracting. Someone wiser than me once explained it to me as being an autonomic response as the mind attempts to bring the object/person into focus and being unable to. My understanding is it's not an issue if the blur is strong enough, or the main subject is powerful enough to hold the viewer out of the semi blurred item, or that blurred item is a negligeble part of the scene. And of course isn't wreaking havoc blocking an area intended to focused and holding the viewers eye.

Now circle back to my first sentence. :)

They're Great available light images I'd be proud to have come away from the 'performance' with. If they were mine, I'd just be thinking about a little tighter cropping, is all.

Keep em coming, Lax

Richard

• Like 1

I see what you're saying, but tighter cropping isn't the answer particularly on the lead singer because then I wouldn't be able to get his guitar into the shot also unless I shot portrait instead of landscape.

What I think you're trying to say is - 'better composition' where I could have moved to a position where there aren't as many distracting features in the rest of the photo. Under the circumstances though, I was sitting with friends enjoying the music from a single spot and photographing from there only.

But you are right about the distracting background, because in those photos I used harsh vignetting, one to two graduated filters in each photo, spot modifiers, and colour processing to emphasise the subject. The background was far more distracting in the original untouched photos.

Also, Lax,

There is only a certain number of photons flying around in that kind of setting so the option of reaching for more depth of field via an aperture change isn't an easy choice to make without tanking your shutter speeds in the process. In other words 'Hello Blurry Musicians" from subject motion :D

Also, I love shooting in situations like that, it makes for photographs which imho add a real as if you were there quality to the resulting images.

R. In Mi,

• Like 1

Also, Lax,

There is only a certain number of photons flying around in that kind of setting so the option of reaching for more depth of field via an aperture change isn't an easy choice to make without tanking your shutter speeds in the process. In other words 'Hello Blurry Musicians" from subject motion :D

Also, I love shooting in situations like that, it makes for photographs which imho add a real as if you were there quality to the resulting images.

R. In Mi,

Not possible to change any other setting. This is the M8 which means I'm dealing with seven year old ISO tech, plus the lens was wide open at f/1.1 and the shutter speed was the slowest I could possible use (1/30) without leading to further motion blur. So the settings were at their best compromise.

• Like 1

• jaapv changed the title to M8 PHOTOGRAPHS, POST THEM HERE
  • jaapv pinned this topic